Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
talismanisland

Talisman Island celebrates 10 year anniversary!!

26 posts in this topic

ti10_badge.gif

Is it really that long?

Talisman Island today (24th) celebrates its tenth anniversary and marks the occasion with a competition!

Design a character based on the artwork for the Sun Knight from the 2nd Edition Dungeon expansion and you could win a pretty decent prize.

More over at the site...

Grats, love your site.

It was fun to discover it back in the day when I thought I was the only person on the planet that still liked Talisman.

Kudos!  And an excellent celebration contest on your site. It will be interesting to see what comes of it... and hopefully you'll not only display the winner's card... but maybe the 1st and 2nd runners up as well?

Thanks guys! It's really nice to know that people find the site useful.

@JC - I probably wasn't clear with the news, but I intend to display all entrants on the page I will be creating. I just meant that I wouldn't be displaying them as the entries came in otherwise it might lead to ideas being copied, or to at least prevent the chance of any accusations of the same. I hope to get a few entries and it will be interesting if people do include a backstory to animate the character somewhat.

PS - I've already had a couple of entries through which is rather encouraging! Hint hint! gran_risa.gif

Camshaft said:

It was fun to discover it back in the day when I thought I was the only person on the planet that still liked Talisman.

This happened to me as well.

~

And yeah, I love the site! Keep up the good work!

I've only become a fan in the past year, but I must say I definetly enjoy! Glad I've found the island! Here's to the next ten, where who knows what Talisman edition we'll be on! 

Congrats and thanks for keeping us out of the dark for all those years and giving talisman fans hope.T.Y. talisman island!

Thanks all... I've got quite a few entries to say there is still a while to go. It should be good.

Just to let people know as I've not updated the site as yet -

Should the winner decide to go with the promo cards for the Revised 4th Edition, Felica Cano, the artist responsible for the images on the cards has offered to sign them if you should so wish.

@Akuma - Contact details for email and all messengers is on the front page of the site -

contact_email.gif

Keep 'em coming!

Just a reminder to folks that the competition I am running to celebrate the anniversary of Talisman Island is still in need of entries!

I have had a nice batch so far, but can always use a few more ideas. I know there is a week and a bit to go, but people might have forgotten about it and end up missing out!

ti10_sunknight_small.png

Sun Knight says "Enter the competition!"

I hope I can come up with a great entry... Haven't made any cards for a couple of years now. Oh, well, I guess participation is a reward in itself, right? lengua.gif

Happy Birthday Talisman Island!

You are the one of the reasons (in fact, the main reason) why we play still play this game - since 1988 when I first discovered it ("A fantasy board game? Now that sounds interesting! Lets buy it and try it out!")

All the best!

PzVIE & Gaming Friends

Just to let you know that you have until the end of tomorrow to enter the competition at Talisman Island.

If you want to be in with a chance of winning a pair of promo cards for the Revised 4th Edition or a set of White Knight cards for 2nd Edition then you should get your designing head on!

Head on over to http://www.talismanisland.com and check out the News for 24th February 2009!

I have just announced the winner of the competition run on Talisman Island in celebration of the 10th anniversary of the site!

Charlie Bright's entry, the Knight of Day, gave a nice mix of story and abilities with an interesting take on Warlock Quests.

ti10_charlie_knightofday_600.jpg

I think he and the 19 runners up deserve a special thankyou from me for taking the time to prepare and send entries in.

The entries are now all displayed on dedicated competition pages over at the site.

Thanks!! gran_risa.gif

Woo hoo!

Thanks to Jon for the great website and inspiration.  The 5 page backstory steals liberally from the previous edition of Talisman and is as much an ode to the game itself as it is the Knight of Day's story.  If there's available bandwidth for it, feel free to put it up on your site.  I'm interested to see how many 4th to 4.5 edition transition "reasons" people can find in the story.

Easy one: In the story, the Mystic (in a village at the far "corner" of the world) is said to have once inspired nobility, and now sometimes twists the souls of others with darkness.  In 4th Edition, she could only make characters good, but now she sometimes turns them evil as well!

As for the design, I started with the Knight (4/3) and wanted to utilize existing material that I felt was underused in the game.  I figured most people would (quite logically) give him a sword and armor to begin with, so I wanted to do something different while maintaining a feel for the character's illustration.  I debated between distinguishing between light and dark fate or using the quest cards.  As he stands now, the Knight of Day is a very interesting character to play (I've playtested him and playtested against him) because every game is different.  One game you may pull "discard one fate," "discard two gold," and "defeat a monster" and have three quests done in your first turn.  Other times completing quests can take a long time.  And usually there's one that you just can't quite seem to polish off...

It was fun to make and share him and I hope everyone enjoys playing the character as much as I have.

Well done Charlie, great work - I would have to agree it is the best.

What a back story..!

It is interesting just how many people made the Knight of Good alignment,

in quite a few cases even restricting change of alignment.

He didn't look like a Noble Good Knight to me. Anyone a psychologist who can explain why?

Maybe people have an perception of knights being good - combined with the Sun which is

probably another metaphor for goodness.

Thanks for a great competition Jon, so if I am first up in the Runner's Up did that mean I came second  ? gui%C3%B1o.gif

Or more likely done in the order that they arrived...