Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Glaurung

Thorin Company (very powerful dwarf allies deck)

101 posts in this topic

Hey I totally like your deck! i'm just wondering why you are not making use of Kili. Especially in the combination with Thorin and Ori they are really attractive.

Barnie91 said:

Hey I totally like your deck! i'm just wondering why you are not making use of Kili. Especially in the combination with Thorin and Ori they are really attractive.

Wait! there is Kili ans Wili in the deck. 2 leadership and 1 spirit( i dont remember who is by the name belong to which sphere).

They are a good help special in the begin to get quickly 5 dwarves.

Ok i got good stand for my galaxy note 2 and record some video how i play with this deck random game against Ithilien. Sorry for quality this is my first video. Actually i have fun with this so i will make more videos sure. English is not my native language so sorry for some speech mistake. There is 2 mistake i done but they very small and doesn change notning. Check it out!

Here is link for first part:

http://youtu.be/L0lSm_vWGkQ 

Here is link for second part:

Glaurung, do you usually build your solo decks in this more aggressive way? I usually won't go solo without cancelation cards at least, and try to get some healing too. I was surprised by the decks effectiveness without these.  I threw it together last night and won first time through Ithien. 

If your friend is up for it, you guys should post a two player video. 

Glaurung said:

Here is one more video with this deck against Peril in Pelargir quest.

I just watched your video.  On your last turn after all your dwarves were taken out. You only had four dwarves in play, but you still drew 2 cards and gave Thorin 2 resources.  I'm sure you know that Thorin's and Ori's ability only trigger with 5 dwarves in play.  Maybe you just got in the habit of having more than 5 in play.  I'm sure it would have not changed the outcome of the game, but little things like that add up.  I'm sure it happens to me too.

Nice deck, really fast.

Tracker1 said:

Yes you right is my bad. Bad mistake. But actually is change nothing i still have a lot of recources to play Gandalf and finish the game. But still fact is fact. Rrrrr hate my self for this mistake. Glaurung said:

Here is one more video with this deck against Peril in Pelargir quest.

I just watched your video.  On your last turn after all your dwarves were taken out. You only had four dwarves in play, but you still drew 2 cards and gave Thorin 2 resources.  I'm sure you know that Thorin's and Ori's ability only trigger with 5 dwarves in play.  Maybe you just got in the habit of having more than 5 in play.  I'm sure it would have not changed the outcome of the game, but little things like that add up.  I'm sure it happens to me too.

Nice deck, really fast.

Yes you right my bad. Luckely is change nothing i still have enough recources to play Gandalf and win. But fact is fact. My bad!! Hate my self for this! Try to be more careful!

impaulm said:

Glaurung, do you usually build your solo decks in this more aggressive way? I usually won't go solo without cancelation cards at least, and try to get some healing too. I was surprised by the decks effectiveness without these.  I threw it together last night and won first time through Ithien. 

If your friend is up for it, you guys should post a two player video. 

yes you right about the idea how yoy can play solo without spirit (cancel when revealed effect) and also without healing. But this deck working very fast and always have a slot of soldier( dwarves allies) to die. If you play fast encounter deck just dont have enough time to do something effecive most o the game.

Is working quite good, specialy for first and second cycle where encounter decks is qiuite big and very slow. Cose if the deck is big is less effective.

But HON have very small encounter sets and very small ecnounter decks so those decks is much more powerful and play with high speed as well.

To be honest this Thorin company deck is too poweful and nealry broken.  If you will try this deck against Second and first cycle,  you will win so easy!

My friend is really good player but the problem we are quite busy people and dont have much time to gather togethere but sure i will try to  make some video next time.

My next video will be about Last quest in HON and this quest is never easy, even fot this deck!

Glaurung, I wonder how you deal with the "Escape from Dol Guldur" quest with this deck in Solo mode? I tried a very similar deck to yours and just cannot manage to win. I find my Glorfindel/Frodo/Aragorn deck much, much stronger (at least in Solo). Any tips for this particular quest?

byzantine said:

Glaurung, I wonder how you deal with the "Escape from Dol Guldur" quest with this deck in Solo mode? I tried a very similar deck to yours and just cannot manage to win. I find my Glorfindel/Frodo/Aragorn deck much, much stronger (at least in Solo). Any tips for this particular quest?

I have another deck which can deal with Lod-Guldor (Aragorn(core)/Glorifinde(spirit)/Denethor).  Never try Thorin Company against Dol-Guldor cose think is useless, i will lost for sure. But let me try will see what happen…..

Interesting videos - you should make some more, it's interesting to see how other people play.

one thing I don't understand… About 1 minute into the 2nd video, you are combating what looks like wainrider captain, you defend with Dain and the shadow card pulled looks like Uruk vanguard which gives the attack +1, but you apply the damage result (3+1-3=1) to a different hero to the one you defended with. 

What rule/card effect allowed you to do that?

cheers

pumpkin said:

Interesting videos - you should make some more, it's interesting to see how other people play.

one thing I don't understand… About 1 minute into the 2nd video, you are combating what looks like wainrider captain, you defend with Dain and the shadow card pulled looks like Uruk vanguard which gives the attack +1, but you apply the damage result (3+1-3=1) to a different hero to the one you defended with. 

cheers

ah it's Dori!! - got it.

pumpkin said:

cheers

Im glad you liked.Yes i will make more videos with this deck. Next will be Battle of the Lake-town.I wonna show how powerful this deck. In my opinion is broken deck! Too powerful. And with new dwarves cards coming in second hobbit box it will be more powerful! After this deck play with other deck kind of boring and this is a problem a bit.Dwarves for now rule this game.

Yes, with three deluxe/saga expansions very dwarf centric, the synergies available for a dwarf deck is now very strong. 

I think though, there will always be  certain deck types that are simply stronger than others due to card pool at the time - that's inevitable.

as this LCG is cooperative, and its impossible to completely balance all card pools at all times,  some decks will easily beat the adventures on offer if created with that one purpose.

If the game was competitive, the opponent could create a deck specifically to battle the super dwarf deck, but that isn't the case, so each player plays the game with decks they enjoy using.

Not sure it's broken just because this deck is powerful.

I've got a similar deck that is complimented by a 2nd dwarf themed deck and they both rock, obviously.

but when I feel like a change, I simply create and play with a different themed deck and still get just as much enjoyment from the game.

looking forward to more videos

Interestingly i watched Glaurungs vids and thought they were great. So i decided to build my own dwarf decks along similar lines to Glaurungs and started thrashing quests that i have struggled against. At the start it was great, beating quest after quest. Over the last month though i have beaten every quest. Maybe 2 losses in all that. I agree that its not the decks fault that its so strong but ive got to be honest, i was quite bored at the end as i hardly had any trouble in these quests. So ive gone back to doing themed decks, winning some and losing some. Now im much more happier. Maybe a touch of overkill in the dwarf department but thats just my opinion.

Ted Sandyman said:

Interestingly i watched Glaurungs vids and thought they were great. So i decided to build my own dwarf decks along similar lines to Glaurungs and started thrashing quests that i have struggled against. At the start it was great, beating quest after quest. Over the last month though i have beaten every quest. Maybe 2 losses in all that. I agree that its not the decks fault that its so strong but ive got to be honest, i was quite bored at the end as i hardly had any trouble in these quests. So ive gone back to doing themed decks, winning some and losing some. Now im much more happier. Maybe a touch of overkill in the dwarf department but thats just my opinion.

and by the end of the  AtS cycle, we will probably be discussing how powerful Gondor decks are and dwarves will have become a thing of the past!

Creating interesting rather than just the best deck though is one of the main attractions of this game, IMO.

Yeh i agree, thats why ive gone back to building experimental or themed decks. Yes i expect the Gondor cards will be powerful after this next cycle, lets see.

Ted Sandyman said:

Yes very good points. So make game more interestings you must play weaker decks??? Designers should to make they job better and cards should be balanced. You are have a lot of allies in play and lot of cards in your hands. Encounter decks  start surging a lot and so on. Reaction od encounter deck on players recources ,number of allies and cards in hand more then needed.

I thing is good idea to make nightmare additional Print on Demand packs for every cycle.  

Of course Glaurung, the whole point of the game isn't just to get the best score. It's to have fun! And different people define fun differently. You obviously are more of a Boromir type but other people like creating a more thematic experience or creating interesting tricks with card combos. There's room for all sorts

While I agree that this is likely the most powerful deck type at this time, I wouldn't say that the designers should base quest difficulty on it.  Sure the makers could create something that a thorin co deck would struggle with but then all other decks wouldn't stand a chance. FFG is in a tough spot because they need to create challenges that are entertaining for a majority of deck types not just one or else it defeats a central aspect of this game (experiencing adventures with all kinds of different heros and themes).  

In a nutshell, I think it's the responsibility of the player since its a co-op game if they find it too easy to use a different deck type. 

Hey Glaurung do you have a companion dwarf deck to go with it?  I tried this deck on my own the other day and quite enjoyed it as it was a more risky style of playing than I'm used to.  Anyhow, my friend and I were looking at doing the whole hobbit saga from beginning to end with dwarves (or dwarfs as Tolkien would have it) so I was just wondering if you had a deck to go with it?  I have built a Dwalin, Gimli, Thalin deck but I feel it needs work on it…