Sign in to follow this  
Sturmkraehe63

Can Garven Dreis use his ability even when there are no focus results to spend his token on?

I see. Arctic Snake: I would interpret that you can't spend the target lock since there are no dice to reroll. But if it ends up being ruled that you can spend a focus token to change no [focus] results, there's nothing stopping you from spending a target lock to reroll any of your zero dice.

At the risk of sounding like a broken roecord, spending a token when you're not doing anything just smacks of taking advantage of a loop hole to me.

Budgernaut said:

At the risk of sounding like a broken roecord, spending a token when you're not doing anything just smacks of taking advantage of a loop hole to me.

This is my opinion… Some of these abilities have qualifiers that need to be met, negating a qualifier like this just doesn't seem the intent.  Otherwise I think the wording would have been different.

Page 11

Spending a Focus Token:

If the attacker has a focus token, he may return it to the action token supply to change all (focus) results on the attack….. etc. etc.

This a phase issue and subject to the dice roll as far as i am concerned. 2.Roll attack dice.(blank, blank, damage) 3. Modify attack dice. (nada with a focus)

Focus is the only attack/defensive crossover. Isn't that enough? You need to be able to display your focus to use it. I think it is pretty straightforward. The rules could be a little more hard, but then we aren't looking for that are we?

I just don't want to have to go through another Jyhad/VTES card rulings change…… again!? Nooooooooooo!

spending the target lock is fine. It does state you can reroll any number of dice. maybe you want to risk for a crit. Maybe you're just silly. Np, reroll. To spend the focus token tho i beleive the intent is that you had the aptitude to define your result. i.e. rolled/displayed the focus. you failed to achieve your intended result. focus is a double edged sword.

i like the fact the rules are easy. who wants a round to last an hour?

Son0fGun said:

Page 11

Spending a Focus Token:

If the attacker has a focus token, he may return it to the action token supply to change all (focus) results on the attack….. etc. etc.

This a phase issue and subject to the dice roll as far as i am concerned. 2.Roll attack dice.(blank, blank, damage) 3. Modify attack dice. (nada with a focus)

Focus is the only attack/defensive crossover. Isn't that enough? You need to be able to display your focus to use it. I think it is pretty straightforward. The rules could be a little more hard, but then we aren't looking for that are we?

I just don't want to have to go through another Jyhad/VTES card rulings change…… again!? Nooooooooooo!

Dude what are you talking about?  This thread is months old, and explicitly spelled out in the FAQ.  You can spend a focus token even if it changes nothing.