Sign in to follow this  
shoreless

Dain Ignoble?

this has come up several times in the past- theres a few more of them, such as brand and some other i cant remember on an ally. i think its just a mistake, though it could be some other reason for future design

rich

I think it depends on your definition of Noble… does it mean someone who is in a position of power, or does it mean someone who is of a royal lineage, etc.

Dain wasn't really in the royal line, and only got the throne because of the death of Thorin… (sorry for the spoiler!) and he was the first to take the throne who wasn't in the line…

He was also renowned as a warrior, so he didn't really live a "royal" life from that perspective, either. (though perhaps he should have the Warrior trait, but that's another story)

So I guess it makes sense if he's not a noble… from a certain point of view.

JasonRed3 said:

Dain wasn't really in the royal line, and only got the throne because of the death of Thorin… (sorry for the spoiler!) and he was the first to take the throne who wasn't in the line…

I thought Dain was 'King of Iron Hills', and was cousin to Thorin, and was next in line of succession because Thorin had no sons or siblings. (Fili and Kili were killed, and Balin, Dwalin, Oin, Gloin were further down in theline of succesion)

So while he may not have been in the direct line (father to son), he was a member of royal family who was in the line of succession. (Dain's grandfather was younger brother to Thorin's grandfather) Not some random dwarf from faraway land that sieged the opportunity and rose to power.

No, not a random dwarf, but also wasn't raised thinking that he'd be put on the throne, either. 

I think the assumption would have been that Thorin would have produced an heir… so the idea of Dain being groomed for the throne wouldn't have really been a part of the equation, IMO.

JasonRed3 said:

No, not a random dwarf, but also wasn't raised thinking that he'd be put on the throne, either. 

I think the assumption would have been that Thorin would have produced an heir… so the idea of Dain being groomed for the throne wouldn't have really been a part of the equation, IMO.

Not being raised to be put in the throne does not mean you're not a noble. Imrahil was not a king, yet he was without a doubt a noble, like many other princes and lords. No, I think this is just a mistake from the people of FFG, of which there are many. 

i think it was a mistake, even taking the definition differences into account

i mean take the following situation:

a card is made, an event for instance, that is a sort of pelagir emmisary, only it gives 1 resource to all noble characters in play…..now take dain, it is sort of daft that he wont get a resource, i mean the poor bugger will probably feel a bit left out! and knowing dwarves, well all hell will break loose in the bar after the game gran_risa.gif

maybe he'll get errated

rich

I'm not saying that leaving Noble off was justified, I'm just saying that I think we can all use our imaginations to rationalize why it's not on there ;-)

Yes, Noble should be on there, but the fact that it isn't is ok with me.

It's certainly not worthy of errata attention, especially ahead of other things, IMO.

(anyone else have issues with backspace on these forums?)

JasonRed3 said:

I'm not saying that leaving Noble off was justified, I'm just saying that I think we can all use our imaginations to rationalize why it's not on there ;-)

It's certainly not worthy of errata attention, especially ahead of other things, IMO.

backspace? not really…..few other issues though haha

JasonRed3 said:

I sure do! Often toward the end of writing a big post I hit the "previous-page" button on the comp. (often b-space) and lose the whole thing.sad.gif

JasonRed3 said:

If something is clearly an inexcusable mistake, why try to rationalize and justify it?

And yea, I'm having the same problem with backspace, it's terribly annoying.

Because it's not that big of a deal.  Sure, it'd be nice, but it's not breaking the game.

That's just my opinion… so I would rather try to rationalize it so that it doesn't bother me any more ;-)

I suppose allowing it to continue to annoy me is another strategy :)

That's it! I am forming a union to stand in protest against the overt prejudice shown against Dain and the craptastic forum text editor that deletes my posts when I press backspace!

We shall be called "The Union Against the Overt Prejudice Shown Against Dain and the Craptastic Forum Text Editor That Deletes my Posts When I Press Backspace" or TUATOPSADATCFTETDMPWIPB.

That is all.

I understand why necro posts are generally discouraged, but it seems silly to make a new thread about something that I'd like to revisit. I wasn't part of the community back then. Dain really should have the noble and warrior traits. I suppose I can just pretend ; )