Sign in to follow this  
JCourtney

Future of the Game

Are all the Great Houses represented yet in AGoT or is there still plenty of expansion left in this game?  I count nine and not six houses. 

Arryn, Baratheon, Greyjoy, Lannister, Martell, Stark, Tully, Tyerll, Targaryen.

The last deluxe expansion came out a year ago, but will they plan more large sets?

I'm happy to see this game doesn't show any signs of slowing down. 

In short, no one knows if/when the next deluxe box will be released until FFG makes a statement. It is highly unlikely a new house will be introduced. Arryn so far in the books has had very little impact and has been completely uninvolved in the wars. Tully is represented under Stark, and Tyrell is usually either Lannister or Baratheon. Plus, any new house would be extremely far behind in competitiveness due to the relatively few cards they would have and lack of support for various themes over previous cycles of chapter packs.

There's still plenty of new cards coming out regularly, but new houses is very unlikely.

Plus, the books are so filled with content that FFG could easily do another round of deluxe expansions. There could easily be another Stark deluxe expansion for example, giving us new Stark and Stark-related cards, and also even more versions of the most well known characters (e.g., Catelyn, Eddard, Robb, etc.). 

There is also a lot of opportunity to expand the card pool to represent things north of the wall and off to the east. FFG could do themed deluxe expansions, not only house-based expansions. For instance, an expansion called Masters of Intrigue, which really developed and centered around the dynamics of intrigue challenges; it could include new characters for each house, who all have special intrigue-related abilities, as well as some nice neutral cards. 

I can see the AGoT LCG having a very long and fruitful life ahead of it.

JCourtney said:

Are all the Great Houses represented yet in AGoT or is there still plenty of expansion left in this game?  I count nine and not six houses. 

Agreed, & I've long been calling for 9 Houses.  However, it's clear that FFG does not want to add any more houses - prior interivews/information made it pretty clear that they only added Martell in the CCG days at Martin's rather strong suggestion.  

I think it would be rather easy to support 9 houses (with just a few dual-house cards); but, it's clear at this point that its not going to happen.  

I imagine if there will be anothe dbox in the near future we will here about it via an anouncement at worlds. If no news comes out them i would strongly suggest not holding your breath.

Kennon said:

I'll be honest, at this point, I'm not certain that we're actually getting more of the deluxe expansions.

I'm totally talking out of my butt here, but I'll say I'd be *very* surprised if we didn't get more.

LordofBrewtown said:

However, it's clear that FFG does not want to add any more houses - prior interivews/information made it pretty clear that they only added Martell in the CCG days at Martin's rather strong suggestion.
Hmm. My recollection of those prior interviews/information was that GRRM's rather strong suggestion convinced FFG that the identity of the 6th House should be Martell, but that the decision to add a 6th House was FFG's alone. (They were going to make Tyrell the playable House and turn Martell into a trait-house - like Tyrell is now - until GRRM convinced them to do it the other way around.)

Whether there should be 9 playable Houses has always been something of a "Ned" debate. On the one hand, there are 9 Great Houses (though only 7 Kingdoms) in the books, so there should be 9 playable Houses. On the other hand, the 3 that are "missing" are Houses that have not sought power in their own right that we have seen in the books. Tyrell has always worked, in the books, through Lannister and/or Baratheon. Tully has always worked, in the books, through Stark. And Arryn has always wanted to be left the heck alone. So there are Nedly reasons for both making them playable Houses and for leaving them as "trait-houses" that need to work through some other faction.

As for a new expansion, my guess is that the HBO "two-fer" took the space of the next expansion on FFG's "design and development calendar." I'd guess another one is in the works, and that it will be a "trait-house" expansion. I'd put my money on Night's Watch, but I could see them doing Arryn (and modifying/reprinting a lot of the House of Talons CCG set), instead.

If they don't plan on putting out any more deluxe expansions, does that mean they're probably trying to taper off this game now that it's been out for awhile?   Just seems like there is so much more content from the books if they wanted to keep expanding.  I fear that now Netrunner is out that will be their main focus. 

I wonder if they would ever consider starting over. Same game, same rules, fresh card pool. They could continue to run both games. Maybe something like a pre-book1 game with all historical cards and figures. It would be a ton of work but would totally rejuvinate the game.

dcdennis said:

I wonder if they would ever consider starting over. Same game, same rules, fresh card pool. They could continue to run both games. Maybe something like a pre-book1 game with all historical cards and figures. It would be a ton of work but would totally rejuvinate the game.

ugh :P i hope not

I also think there's a reasonable chance that they don't intend to release any more Deluxe Expansions; I don't necessarily want that to be the case, but it's been like 9 months since Lions of the Rock came out and no announcement.

I know that FFG has made a shift in their release approach for their Call of Cthulhu LCG. When they announced the upcoming expansion, they also announced that they weren't doing Asylum Packs for the game anymore; instead, they would be releasing a new Deluxe Expansion for the game every four months.

I wonder if it's possible that FFG has done the reverse for AGOT -- no more Deluxe Expansions, just Chapter Packs from now on -- but never formally announced it, for whatever reason. Obviously they have not abandoned the Chapter Pack format, what with a new cycle in a couple months.

Certainly they have far more on their plate in terms of LCGs these days, with Netrunner out last month and Star Wars coming in a month or two. And there's that weird HBO pseudo-LCG thing they've got. Perhaps they redistributed some design manpower around and decided six Deluxe Expansions was enough for AGOT.

dcdennis said:

Cripes !! No, no no.

Are you playing the same game as me ? sorpresa.gif

alpha5099 said:

I also think there's a reasonable chance that they don't intend to release any more Deluxe Expansions; I don't necessarily want that to be the case, but it's been like 9 months since Lions of the Rock came out and no announcement.

I know that FFG has made a shift in their release approach for their Call of Cthulhu LCG. When they announced the upcoming expansion, they also announced that they weren't doing Asylum Packs for the game anymore; instead, they would be releasing a new Deluxe Expansion for the game every four months.

I wonder if it's possible that FFG has done the reverse for AGOT -- no more Deluxe Expansions, just Chapter Packs from now on -- but never formally announced it, for whatever reason. Obviously they have not abandoned the Chapter Pack format, what with a new cycle in a couple months.

Certainly they have far more on their plate in terms of LCGs these days, with Netrunner out last month and Star Wars coming in a month or two. And there's that weird HBO pseudo-LCG thing they've got. Perhaps they redistributed some design manpower around and decided six Deluxe Expansions was enough for AGOT.

My fear is that with Star Wars and Netrunner that FFG has new babies with those projects and will be ending all major expansions to the game 

I think there will be more deluxe expansions for this game, simply because it is the only "living" LCG.

all the other games are based on finished, or in house, works. The stories have already been told and this makes it easy to design a game around the mythos.

with AGOT things are different, they produced a LCG based on an ongoing series of books. The 6 great houses at the start are not the same major factions that are in a dance with dragons, some have flourished and some have suffered and new factions have arrived. This means that the 6 LCG houses are not as relavent as they were when the game was first created. New deluxe sets will be needed to update the game as the books continue.

Depends how long we want to define "within a couple years;" on a long enough timescale, the game will eventually end, but I don't see it happening soon. If it did, that would probably mean that the LCG model wasn't working for FFG. With Netrunner just out and Star Wars coming soon, it seems unlikely the model isn't working for them. And if they were to start winding down their LCGs, I don't think they would start with AGOT, which is (or has been, the new games could give it a run for its money) the most successful of the LCGs. They would probably start with Cthulhu or Warhammer, whichever of them is the least popular.

But I don't think we have to worry. AGOT should be around for a while longer.