Sign in to follow this  
fbarrocal

Crypsis and default behaviour

Hello everybody,

I need some help in a few cards. I will start with Crypsis:

Several cards says that Strength enhancement lasts for that run, turn or have some other limit. Crypsis is not one of those. This means the the enhancement lasts for the whole game, can I start strengthening it from the moment I install it or this enhancement will vanish on first ICE encountered (supposing I don't  trash it).

Is there anything in the rulebook that tells the default behavior for such or similar situations ?

Thanks Guys!

Unless it says otherwise a strength increase only lasts for the encounter of that particular piece of ice. From page 16.

Increasing an Icebreaker’s Strength
Many icebreakers allow the Runner to temporarily increase the
icebreaker’s strength by spending credits. This helps the Runner
deal with stronger pieces of ice, provided he has enough credits
to spend. This strength increase lasts only while the current
piece of ice is being encountered, unless otherwise noted
by card abilities.
After an encounter with a piece of ice, the
icebreaker’s strength returns to the value shown on its card. This
applies to any other strength modifiers given by icebreakers as
well.

Battering Ram (#42)Ninja (#27)

I'm still not sure about this.

As you see from these two examples, one card clearly states that the boost is only for this run, while the other doesn't. Does this lack of the notice of the end of the boost counts as "unless otherwise noted by card abilities"? If they all end at the end of the current run, why one card has this notice and the other doesn't?

echoMateria said:

I'm still not sure about this.

As you see from these two examples, one card clearly states that the boost is only for this run, while the other doesn't. Does this lack of the notice of the end of the boost counts as "unless otherwise noted by card abilities"? If they all end at the end of the current run, why one card has this notice and the other doesn't?

Icebreaker abilities end at the end of the current piece of ice, by default. The Shaper icebreakers last for an entire run, not just one piece of ice. That's the difference.

JoshTheStampede said:

Icebreaker abilities end at the end of the current piece of ice, by default. The Shaper icebreakers last for an entire run, not just one piece of ice. That's the difference.

Thanks, this answers my question.

Blue_Hawaiian said:

Thanks for the clarification on this, it had me and my play group confused as well.

This leaves me with another question though. Is this, and I know this is subjective, just a bad card? 

It's not terrible - it's flexible, and it's a Virus, which means it combos with Noise, Djinn, and Deja Vu.  But it's certainly not great.

It can break subroutines on ANY type of ICE even traps. I'd say it's expensive in the upkeep but can save your ****, if corp has a nasty suprise.

Isn't it the only programme that can pull that trick?

I know I pretty much use it exclusively as a hard counter to Corporate Troubleshooter, but I play Shaper so I need it for Troubleshot sentries. Other than that, I don't use it more than once or twice a game.