Sign in to follow this  
Harleequin

What ships would you like to see next?

Same. I didn't really care much for the Phantom either, but I feel it's appearance in the EoW expansion gives a little more credence to the design in terms of legitimacy than, say, the Hunter.

Plus my judgement on how good a design is stems from how much the craft was re-worked rather than a hodge-podge copy-paste of components. I suppose the Hunter is better than the Interdictor in that regard, but the Hunter's S-foils, Ion/Blaster armament, cloaking device, and the off wing/body ratio put it in the negative opinion zone for me.

DVogt10 said:

Xizor's Virago - Piloted by Xizor or Guri (can't remember if she actually flew the ship, read the book way too long ago)

Guri had her own ship called the Stinger, I believe.

KarmikazeKidd said:

To an extent, I agree with what you're saying. But the logic is flawed. If we're trying to stick to the movies there aren't really any options for the Rebels in the medium ship range. The shuttle makes an appearance in the movies on both sides. And if you do want to allow the EU at all, the shuttle is most definitely not an Imperial specific thing.

The rebel transport ships in Empire are pretty small. A good deal smaller than Corvettes.

Baphomet69 said:

I believe it stood for Twin Ion Engine, not referring to the solar panels ('wings').

Definitely stands for Twin Ion Engine, and they're actually heat-sinks, not solar panels.

Now with all that out of the way, mostly I want to see the B-Wing and TIE Bomber obviously, but beyond that, I'd like to see some repaints or re-releases of old expansion packs with new cards. There's WAY too many great pilots in the already released ships that haven't been represented in the game yet to move onto the EU just yet. Where's Jek Porkins in Red Six, where's Jake Farrell (Green Leader in the Battle of Endor), where's Tiree or Pops ("Stay on target!") in their Y-Wings? It might be cool to also see some 'limited' pilots (2-3 dots preceding the name), like say Elite Rogue Squadron Pilot or something with a 5 skill and/or a mildly powerful special ability, but with a limitation of 0-3 per squadron or something. I'd love to see a wider variety of astromechs as well, and it might be cool to have some more customization options for the Empire as well, perhaps 'tactics' cards or something of the like that can be given to a character with a skill option and grant several other non-unique pilots a synergistic special ability. Right now I feel the biggest problem with the game is a lack of customization within your force.

Okay, tangent over, because this was about ships we want to see, not new card types.

I wouldn't mind seeing some of the EU that's very near to the films, like the Headhunter, or some of the bounty-hunter ships like the Hound's Tooth or IG-2000, but that said there's something I dislike about the inclusion of Slave I and the Falcon in a Rebel vs. Imperial dogfighting game. The Slave I isn't properly Imperial and never took part in any space battles on the side of the Empire. The Falcon I can get behind a bit more, but it's only one ship! Seeing it pop up over and over in games kinda messes with the theme a bit. Still I understand a lot of people want to see Slave I and the Millennium Falcon and that's no problem, I'm probably in the minority in that case.

I'm not a tremendous fan of the inclusion of those unique ships either… what I would like to see is building generic squadrons to fight with so players can make their own stories with their fighters, rather than recreating battles with special named heroes. That's why I appreciate the red squad pilot, gold squad pilot, etx… because then I can field those other pilots and just substitute their squadron name with mine in my head while I play.

That's why I'm not excited about the prospect of the IG-2000 and the other bounty-hunter ships. I want generic craft over specialized vehicles.

Same here.  Might get a Falcon because it's a sweet looking mini. I'll probably use it more as an objective.  Same if they release a Lambda Class Shuttle. Slave 1? meh

If wave 3 has more generic fighter-sized craft that were actually used by the Rebellion or Imperials in the trilogy, I'll get them.  EU, prequel, or some random ship in a 1-second Cloud City scene will keep my money in my wallet.

What about production fighters in the EU, like the TIE Defender?

Basically I'd go with anything that had a significant production run. Enough that one could realistically expect to see a flock of them in a space battle. Has anyone seen a large group of Firespray patrol ships in the Star Wars universe? That's why I'm wary about future bounty hunter ships…only two IG-2000s were produced after all and one of them was a decoy. I'd wonder why that slot in an expansion wave was taken over something that we'd realistically see many copies of across the SW universe.

There were plenty of YT-1300s in the TIE Fighter universe, so I have no qualms about getting that. I wasn't a fan of the slave I really, on top of feeling it's too unique to go with what I want to do for collecting ships. The only reason I'd get it is either for access to new mechanics used in the expansion or because it is the only counter to some fundamental game-changing mechanic and no imperial squadron must be without one.

I think the most unique I'd want to go is the Missile Boat. Though unheard of beyond TIE Fighter the game claims that there was a limited production run of these highly elite fighters. If TIE/Ds exist, I would want Missile Boats as the queen piece of my chess collection of star wars fighters.

Norsehound said:

What about production fighters in the EU, like the TIE Defender?

Basically I'd go with anything that had a significant production run. Enough that one could realistically expect to see a flock of them in a space battle. Has anyone seen a large group of Firespray patrol ships in the Star Wars universe? That's why I'm wary about future bounty hunter ships…only two IG-2000s were produced after all and one of them was a decoy. I'd wonder why that slot in an expansion wave was taken over something that we'd realistically see many copies of across the SW universe.

There were plenty of YT-1300s in the TIE Fighter universe, so I have no qualms about getting that. I wasn't a fan of the slave I really, on top of feeling it's too unique to go with what I want to do for collecting ships. The only reason I'd get it is either for access to new mechanics used in the expansion or because it is the only counter to some fundamental game-changing mechanic and no imperial squadron must be without one.

Well the YT-1300s are freighters. This is a game about dogfighting. I at least am looking for more frontline combat ships. The majority of YT-1300s are, don't forget, pretty much defenseless compared the the Falcon. A normal YT-1300 would pretty much just be a speedbump for a squadron of TIEs. As for EU ships, I don't really mind, but I'd certainly prefer those come later after we have the majority of stuff from the movies and not just a small slice.

I just bought a corvette and star destroyer, both are the same size, and the corvette is to scale with the ships almost. Going to use it on escape missions >:) But I really hope to see some more ships soon, I think it's obvious we all want the headhunter and defender :b

It's actually FAR from "obvious," since there's like a whole thread where folks are lambasting the TIE Defender, but nonetheless I'll roll with you on it. I'd actually prefer the Z-95 first, though.

However, y'know, the more I think about it I think I'm going to place my bet with the Ghtroc 170 as ship #4 for Wave 3. It's only a couple bucks, after all! But I think it's a rational enough choice to give a big payoff (if only!).

i'd like to see some of the older star fighters i always thought of the early alliance of being a mismatch of whatever ships they could get their hands on from local fighters to small armed merchants vs the uniform feel of the Empire with its TIES

DrUnK3n_PaNdA said:

Definitely stands for Twin Ion Engine, and they're actually heat-sinks, not solar panels.

Whoa whoa whoa….hold your horses.  TIE wings are not solar panels?  Can you back that up?  Every reference to the Tie wings (of any version) has always indicated that they are solar panels.

"The x1's most important innovation was the use of "bent-wing" solar array wings, like those used on the TIE/sa bomber, which had the advantages of increased surface area for more power while also reducing the craft's profile, compared to the TIE/ln starfighter's hexagonal panel wings."

That's straight from the TIE Advanced X1 Wookieepedia site.

While it's clear in some tech readouts that the solar arrays served a daul purpose as a heat exchanger also, their primary purpose was power generation.

More a character than a ship:  Corran Horn.  His X-Wing was green because it belonged to CorSec, and maybe they could throw some CorSec generic pilots in there for fun(If they made a green X-Wing), along with Whistler as an upgrade. 

What about Galen Marek's Rogue Shadow?  Not a production vessel, and I know most seem to lean towards that…but there's going to come a point when we run out of those. 

I am probley goner fan boyed out on this but i am aware this ship "dimsie" the TIE Phantom V38 ships form rebel assult 2

how ever it would bring some intrsting  gameplay ideas with its abillty to cloak and sneak up on others :D I also wish to see Z-wing 95 headhunter or the Imprial ASSULT gunboat.

kmanweiss said:

DrUnK3n_PaNdA said:

Whoa whoa whoa….hold your horses.  TIE wings are not solar panels?  Can you back that up?  Every reference to the Tie wings (of any version) has always indicated that they are solar panels.

"The x1's most important innovation was the use of "bent-wing" solar array wings, like those used on the TIE/sa bomber, which had the advantages of increased surface area for more power while also reducing the craft's profile, compared to the TIE/ln starfighter's hexagonal panel wings."

While it's clear in some tech readouts that the solar arrays served a daul purpose as a heat exchanger also, their primary purpose was power generation.

I own both The Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels and The NEW Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels and they both list the TIE fighter wings as "solar array panels." Where did you get the heat-sinks idea from, you DrUnK3n_PaNdA? 

Parakitor said:

kmanweiss said:

DrUnK3n_PaNdA said:

I own both The Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels and The NEW Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels and they both list the TIE fighter wings as "solar array panels." Where did you get the heat-sinks idea from, you DrUnK3n_PaNdA? 

They would make a lot more sense as heat sinks, but you are correct, they are solar panels. It's too bad really because most of space is extremely dark.

What about a ghtroc freighter? They were very hugely pushed as one of the only alternatives to the yt-1300 in the RPG and were used all over the place in the EU even being flown by Luke himself with his xwing stored in it.

Ghtroc720_sotg07.jpg

I'm with most people in hoping to see the B-wing and TIE/D. What I would love to see, and I don't know if it would be possible is the lighter capital ships. Maybe a Corellian Corvette and a Carrack Light Cruiser? Not too sure on how big they would be in scale. They would add a target for the bombers besides ground targets and could add some intersting scenarios.

I would love to see some Jedi stealth x's no idea how they would work unless you could program your move after seeing everyone else's.  Nor do I know how the shadow bombs would work but I have the feelings they would be awesome pieces to play with.

Natesroom said:

What about a ghtroc freighter? They were very hugely pushed as one of the only alternatives to the yt-1300 in the RPG and were used all over the place in the EU even being flown by Luke himself with his xwing stored in it.

Ghtroc720_sotg07.jpg

As I think I've said before, I am actually wagering this as a "long-shot" #4 vessel for Wave 3. FIRST, you figure with the assumed B-Wing, TIE Bomber & Lambda, the Ghtroc would provide excellent game balance for the wave (something FFG seems wisely intent on maintaining). SECOND, remember X-Wing is not FFG's only Star Wars property; in the RPG "beta," PCs can start with one of three ships: YT-1300 (covered), Firespray (covered), or… Ghtroc 720. One assumes these beautiful minis will see plenty of double-duty in the RPG, so this ship actually makes superb sense. Whether you like the design or not, it makes sense.

Lord Dragon said:

I would love to see some Jedi stealth x's no idea how they would work unless you could program your move after seeing everyone else's.  Nor do I know how the shadow bombs would work but I have the feelings they would be awesome pieces to play with.

Shadow bombs are just super kewl anti-vong jedi powerz to counter the super kewl anti-torpedo vong powerz.

Multiple layers of terrible.

ShadowJak said:

Parakitor said:

kmanweiss said:

DrUnK3n_PaNdA said:

They would make a lot more sense as heat sinks, but you are correct, they are solar panels. It's too bad really because most of space is extremely dark.

Ok, I don't work for NASA or anything, but don't most satelites, the space station, and long range space craft we use run off solar power?  Just because space is dark doesn't mean there is no light.  In fact, solar arrays may work far better in space than on earth because you don't have all the atmoshperic issues that would hinder the collection of solar power.  Space suits have reflective visors to protect the eyes of astronauts because direct light from the sun can cause blindness.

As for heat sinks…again, no NASA experience here, but isn't space pretty cold?  Like -270 Cel, -450 Far.  There's no friction heat to vent….so what heat needs to be expelled?  I'd think any heat built up through propulsion or weapons fire would be cooled by the ambient temperature of space pretty effeciently without the need for massive heat sinks.  I suppose direct solar radiation (that powers the TIE) would also raise the temp on the surfaces it comes in contact with, but not sure how heat sinks in those wings being heated by the solar radiation would help cool anything down.

ShadowJak said:

Lord Dragon said:

Shadow bombs are just super kewl anti-vong jedi powerz to counter the super kewl anti-torpedo vong powerz.

Multiple layers of terrible.

What make the idea terrible?