Sign in to follow this  
lsuedd2

Crit with shields

Say you get a hit and a crit, and you have two shields. Both shields will be taken away, but does the crit card take effect? Or is it played just like a normal hit face down?

LSUedd said:

Say you get a hit and a crit, and you have two shields. Both shields will be taken away, but does the crit card take effect? Or is it played just like a normal hit face down?

LSUedd said:

The shields will take the hit (and critical hit).  After that, any critical hit will deal "face-up" damage.

Just to check my understanding (as this happened in a game last night!).

My X-Wing has one shield remaining when it takes one hit and one critical hit.

The normal hit is resolved first - it is stopped by the shield.  The critical hit is resolved next and a damage card is drawn and applied face-up to my ship.

Is that correct?

Or could I choose to resolve the critical hit first therefore having it stopped by the shield?

Cheers

Andy

Ologotai said:

Just to check my understanding (as this happened in a game last night!).

My X-Wing has one shield remaining when it takes one hit and one critical hit.

The normal hit is resolved first - it is stopped by the shield.  The critical hit is resolved next and a damage card is drawn and applied face-up to my ship.

Is that correct?

Or could I choose to resolve the critical hit first therefore having it stopped by the shield?

Cheers

Andy

This one I'm not sure on.  I'd have to go search to rules a bit more carefully.  Is there a line in there about order of dealing damage cards (in the case when there are no shields)?  If so, I'd use the same order for this.  But I don't remember any rule like that off the top of my head.  Probably a good one to send in to them for the FAQ.

Nothing specific about that particular scenario involving shields.

However on page 16 under the Suffering Damage section it is stated that "the ship must suffer all normal damage before suffering any critical damage"

This is what I took to be the case even though a shield is being removed rather than the ship actually receiving a damage card.

How does/would everyone else play it?

Cheers

Andy

I think it's clear that you take the regular damage to shields. Just like you resolve regular hits with your green evade rolls before critical hits.

This makes the critical hits more likely to show up. They would be much more rare if you didn't do it this way. It keeps the game moving along and makes the combat more dangerous and unpredictable, which I think is good.