Sign in to follow this  
lsuedd2

Gaming mats

I would never buy from a company that has a "Z" where an "S" should be in its name . . .

Just as an FYI... Hotz is the guy's name, it has nothing to do with a cutesy "Z" for "S" substitution. Having said that, I too have heard nothing but horror stories about the service from this company.

Nice job on the felt mats, BTW.

Edited by ziggy2000

<picture snipped>

Any idea what the technical term for the material is?

I've had a custom play-mat made of PVC and it's turned out horribly: it wrinkles and creases quite badly and doesn't lie flat properly. 

I want to make a Version 2.0 but need to know what to ask for.

Edited by HorusZA

I found some great hige definition pictures of the death star and space. Printet them at my local copyshop. Its printet on high quality marketing banner. very durable..36x36 size.... I think they are awesome:)

How much did this cost?  Every time I have asked at a local print shop or copyshop, they quoted me about $70 for a 3' x 3' print on vinyl banner material.  I had some printed at bannersonthecheap.com for VERY reasonable prices, even including the shipping (which they sometimes offer for free), but the surface is less than ideal for gameplay.

I pay 50 dollar pr mat. I get it very cheap because we use the same copyshop at work:) It usually costs 120 dollar pr matt.  I think the surface on my matts are very nice. Very sturdy and holds the miniatures in place after movement. Even nice role with the dices:)

Edited by thomarum

<picture snipped>

Any idea what the technical term for the material is?

I've had a custom play-mat made of PVC and it's turned out horribly: it wrinkles and creases quite badly and doesn't lie flat properly. 

I want to make a Version 2.0 but need to know what to ask for.

I will find out, but like I said in a quote. It si very sturdy. Have to role it up and no wrinkles or anything...Models sits firm after movement and dices roles nice...It is a material used on marketing banners that stands outside....Only thing i could point out is that if you have a lamp straight over the mat it will shine on it...Im very happy with it:) 

That Death Star mat is... hideous. I've played on the Gale Force 9 version a few times and hate it too. Far to easy to lose stuff on those busy backgrounds.

IMHO, those battle station mats need to be really desaturated to fade the background by a magnitude.

That Death Star mat is... hideous. I've played on the Gale Force 9 version a few times and hate it too. Far to easy to lose stuff on those busy backgrounds.

IMHO, those battle station mats need to be really desaturated to fade the background by a magnitude.

Sorry to hear you say that;) but I like em and have only had good experience when I used them. But I play with the space theme mats the most;)

I designed a few mats for International Table Top day. We had a little X-WIng Tourney that day so I printed them out on a 44" plotter on semi-gloss paper. They looked amazing! The paper was the perfectly sticky and looked so good. Everyone playing loved them. 

1012154_10203753007053619_76148720962165

1510625_10203753011333726_77124213072743

1979493_10203753036334351_87261755611407

Stuck them onto the tables with poster mounts at the corners. Let me know what you guys think!

I designed a few mats for International Table Top day. We had a little X-WIng Tourney that day so I printed them out on a 44" plotter on semi-gloss paper. They looked amazing! The paper was the perfectly sticky and looked so good. Everyone playing loved them. 

1510625_10203753011333726_77124213072743

1979493_10203753036334351_87261755611407

Stuck them onto the tables with poster mounts at the corners. Let me know what you guys think!

Forgot to post on here that although it's hard to see, there are layer overlays of range one and range two on the mats for ship and asteroid placement. That really helped out, especially for the asteroids.

Edited by speederbikechase

We bought a couple of cheap $5 yoga mats at 5 below.  I needed two of them as they where only 24" wide.  Two of them yielded a 3'x4' mat that I marked off to 3x3 with a 6" buffer on either end for cards, rulers, etc.  I use the left over material as a liner in my storage boxes.  So two of those and a couple of paint pens and we were set ($20ish).  I do like some of the paint jobs I've seen on here and might need to do it on the reverse side.  The yoga mat material is nice because it is somewhat tacky and has a very small grid to it.  Plus it's kinda padded so the dice don't make a bunch of noise.  They can be rolled up for convenience, but I've been practicing so much that they are the new table cloth.  

We bought a couple of cheap $5 yoga mats at 5 below.  I needed two of them as they where only 24" wide.  Two of them yielded a 3'x4' mat that I marked off to 3x3 with a 6" buffer on either end for cards, rulers, etc.  I use the left over material as a liner in my storage boxes.  So two of those and a couple of paint pens and we were set ($20ish).  I do like some of the paint jobs I've seen on here and might need to do it on the reverse side.  The yoga mat material is nice because it is somewhat tacky and has a very small grid to it.  Plus it's kinda padded so the dice don't make a bunch of noise.  They can be rolled up for convenience, but I've been practicing so much that they are the new table cloth.  

I have a 4'x6, that I would hate to cut. I guess I can use masking tape for every game.

Can you share the file for this? it is AMAZING! My kids would love it!

Edited by Markwilsonsd

Silent death is a very old space combat game that had a play mat available. I bought it years ago and am just now getting to use it. Looks to be a black cloth splattered liberally with different color paint. Makes a good star field. Has hexes on it so I would not use it for anything but casual play.

my 6x3 mat, gimped (<- hmm sounds less competent than photoshoped ;) ) image from nasa printed on pvc through a online printing service.

pic2030277_lg.jpg

pic2030278_lg.jpg

I like the printed quality and feel of the material, the biggest problem is actual finding the right table extension/board to use it on as my table is actual too small for it. :)

Edited by Asgo

I have pics of my finished gaming board. how do i upload them here? 

Haven't looked the entire tread through, so don't know if you've already figured it out, but any way here goes: Simply register an account at posimg.org og imagshack or similar: upload the images, get the codes (there are many different code formats, so test which one works (for posting.org I usually use the "Hotlinks (2) for Forums")

Then post/insert the URL links in your posts:

Holy crap, wouldya look at this!

Like the Death Star Trench Run?

I've made the dagobahDave Trench Run model from styrofoam with a tilt surface and some custom turrets:

2013_02_16_14_29_23.jpg

my 6x3 mat, gimped (<- hmm sounds less competent than photoshoped ;) ) image from nasa printed on pvc through a online printing service.

pic2030277_lg.jpg

pic2030278_lg.jpg

I like the printed quality and feel of the material, the biggest problem is actual finding the right table extension/board to use it on as my table is actual too small for it. :)

I've been using a Pool Table and a Ping Pong Table to support this length.  If you have access to one of those, they work great!

Well, its most certainly nothing you can carry around... but was never meant to be...
Here is what i did for home use...

Its a 4x4 (outside) and a 3x3 playfield....

board_zpsa0862246.jpg

I Like the idea of.. less is more.. :)

But actually when you get closer you see much more stars.. hehe... :)

Edit: Somehow it does not want to post my picture.. :(

Sorry bout that!

Edit 2: There we go! :)

Edited by TheDarkPilot

[....]

I've been using a Pool Table and a Ping Pong Table to support this length.  If you have access to one of those, they work great!

yeah a pool table would be great, for this use case as in general :), as it offers a stable support and usually enough space around, sadly I don't have access to one.

Currently I'm experimenting with a set of wooden boards extending the underlying table while being movable and stable enough for playing at the same time, a combination of requirements not without challenges.

GripMats are starting to ship:  https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bfrgames/gripmat-get-a-grip-on-your-game

Here is someone's review on BGG:  http://miniatures140.rssing.com/browser.php?indx=4773335&item=45421

I haven't got mine yet, but they have a 36" x 48" mat that I might just have to get as well!!   It looks great!

I am impatiently waiting on a 36" x 36" Orange Nebula mat, just like this reviewer... I am going to get a 36" x 48" mat now that I have seen this.

and in case you are interested... The project suggested emailing: orders@gripmat.com to find out order details.  

vYn6EHL.jpg