Sign in to follow this  
lsuedd2

Gaming mats

The stars look great! I like the density of them, has a very 'star wars' feel to it.

i have tried foam board ( initially was good, then warped and didn't transport well), now I use a piece of 3x3 felt.  

As far as 'grippiness' of the GF9 mats, they are pretty good.

Hujoe Bigs said:

Here is the board my brother and I made. We used 1/4 inch 2x2 pre cut boards. They were pretty warped so we used some flush mount picture hangers to help interlock them and get them to level out. We then just used a gray primer, which we left a 6 inch boarder for cards and tokens for use on a smaller table (supports itself) or for larger games. We then used black spray paint, some white tempura paint flicked on with a toothbrush, and then sealed it with a clear coat. I think it turned out well and so does every one else that has played on it. For some reasons pictures make it look a lot more glare happy then it is.

Very cool, I espcially like your method of getting the star field by flicking with a toothbrush.  If the glare ever becomes an issue it can easily be fixed with a coat of flat clear coat.  I think I will practice and then use the toothbrush technique on my neoprene when it arrives.  I also like your method of 2'x2' tiles wich make for easy transport and a stable playing surface.  Thank you for sharing!

Cheers

Does anyone know when the GF9 asteroids are going to be released?

You can make your own fairly easily. I got some lavarock from the garden center, drilled holes for the stems and glued them in place. Attach bases and you're done. I made a whole boxful for SFB, and I plan to use them for X-wing by placing them on top of the asteroid counters.

I thank every one for the complements. From what I can gather, people are looking for decent boards for this game and there aren't a lot of options. So i am wondering what would you all be willing to pay for a decent board? My brother and I have been tossing around ideas for this and it would be quite possible to produce these in a bigger quantity at decent turn around. All the boards would have a unique pattern seeing as it is individually painted and the boarders could be done in a different style or color. Seeing as this board was a prototype we know what to do and could make them look much nicer now and much more sturdy (this thing has already survived over 20 car trips), so any ideas?

Edit: We also noticed that the pattern reflects almost identically to the movement range rulers.

I started mine today. I got some thin plywood squares and 1x2 for the frame. My dad has a pretty well-equipped shop, so this gave me a chance to play with some of his toys.

I came up wil a different idea for holding the together - magnets. I drilled out som holes in the sides of the frame deep enough to countersink some 1" magnets I got from Hobby Lobby. Two on each of the adjoining sides will hold them in place (I hope). I'm waiting for the epoxy to set now, then I'll test it out. Then we just have to paint the starfield and play!

Gaming board 3x3' 1/2" sheeting. 40x40" felt layed over rough side for traction. Stapled under with a manual staple gun. Use dentist/hobby picks or a toothpick with cheapo walmart acrylic paints, white gloss. Dot repeatedly as desired. Bright stars to background luminaries. Turn slightly to side for galaxy effects. Reds, yellows and blues can break up the color. Don't like to overdoe it with the nebulae effects. I feel it creates too much confusion with all the markers. Nice and clean 70's starfield. And the felt gives traction to the key components.

Asteroids:

a51e0225-ab06-4523-a191-580815a4def4_zps

Hobby/craft store picked up some styrofoam eggs. Different sizes in bag. Molded with fingers first to desired shape. used fingers, brushes, handles or anything to create crater/pocks. Can accentuate by shaping the outer crater effects. Good dusty black primer- 2 light coats. Cheapo walmart acrylics. Dark brown and then light. Try to drybrush cause you want those shadows. any styrofoam that does come thru can pass as mineral and ice so its visually appealling.

Bases are precut wood(almost balsa) circle package. Get 2 packs. 1 1/2" washers. 1/8" wood craft sticks/skewers. Drill center holes in cicles. Glue washers to base for weight. Glue stands into holes. Make sure you get an idea about which asteroid is attaching to which base and stand for cicumference and height. Coat black primer. Skewer then glue asteroid. Finish base with star details with a pick. Use extra circles and I painted them red to replace the asteroids when overlap or ship placement becomes an issue. Yay!

LenieSirz said:

Hey Everyone,

I can't seem to figure out how to order a double sided mat from HOTZ. It's just not clear to me. I planned on going for the 4x6 mat. Can someone help me out, please?

Thanks for your time.

Well, Hotz has to have one of the WOOOOOOOOOORST customer services on a website I've ever seen. I sent an email, got a response a week and a half later, and afterwards, sent a reply email to him, and haven't heard from him since, it's been almost a month. My first email to him was about a question I had, and he immediately sent me a paypal invoice. Still waiting on a reply email from him, but he still hasn't gotten back to me, I'm going to send him one more, maybe he accidentally trashed it or it landed in spam.

I had the same experience. Basically nonresponsive. I had to put in a PayPal claim to get refunded. I would never buy anything from Hotz.

While at Gen Con this year, I made some time to visit the GaleForce Nine booth.  I picked up one of the 3'X3' game mats.  They are made from a excellent quality vinyl.  I might have to get the "Space Station" Game Mat in the near future.

Very nice Klasmars. What's the circumference? Does a 3'x 3' square fit inside?

Yea. its about 3.4 feet so its 15cm to big, but we keep our cards there and such things. A circle seemed more fitting for a space battle like X-wing. House rules.

LenieSirz said:

Hey Everyone,

I can't seem to figure out how to order a double sided mat from HOTZ. It's just not clear to me. I planned on going for the 4x6 mat. Can someone help me out, please?

Thanks for your time.

Well, Hotz has to have one of the WOOOOOOOOOORST customer services on a website I've ever seen. I sent an email, got a response a week and a half later, and afterwards, sent a reply email to him, and haven't heard from him since, it's been almost a month. My first email to him was about a question I had, and he immediately sent me a paypal invoice. Still waiting on a reply email from him, but he still hasn't gotten back to me, I'm going to send him one more, maybe he accidentally trashed it or it landed in spam.

I had the same experience. Basically nonresponsive. I had to put in a PayPal claim to get refunded. I would never buy anything from Hotz.

I would never buy from a company that has a "Z" where an "S" should be in its name . . .

Anyway, for my gaming mat I decided to make my own and save some money, so I went to the fabric store and bought a 3'x3' square. Or I tried to. They only had them in 6' wide bolts, so I just bought a three foot length and cut in in half, then trimmed it to precisely 3'x3'. Then I went to Walmart and bought a red, blue and two sizes of white paint markers and went to work. First I put in the deployment zones, including the Rebel and Imperial logos, then started putting in stars. It was taking forever, then I hit upon the idea of just shaking the markers to spray paint on the mat. It worked like a charm, except for a few areas that I needed to cover up. So I just drew in a handful of galaxies and star clusters.

Check it out:

IMG_1830.jpg

The red and blue are bold enough to be seen, yet subtle enough not to be too distracting during a battle.

IMG_1832.jpg

IMG_1833.jpg

I ordered the Crimson Red BM002 Gale Force 9 mat from the flamesofwar site.  The order status says "downloaded" but the ship date says 9/1.

After that I saw the same mat available on Amazon and MiniatureMarket.

Oh well, I hope it arrives soon.

Edited by Pygon

I found some great high definition pictures of the death star and space. Printet them at my local copyshop. Its printet on high quality marketing banner. very durable..36x36 size.... I think they are awesome:)

1526959_700425854538_1348991113_n_zps191

10003278_698680457328_467282390_n_zpsd11

1456578_698680477288_1025768348_n_zps07b

1538680_700456642838_2037600361_n_zpsa91

1475805_700003416108_1727067896_n_zps35e

Edited by thomarum

I found some great hige definition pictures of the death star and space. Printet them at my local copyshop. Its printet on high quality marketing banner. very durable..36x36 size.... I think they are awesome:)

How much did this cost?  Every time I have asked at a local print shop or copyshop, they quoted me about $70 for a 3' x 3' print on vinyl banner material.  I had some printed at bannersonthecheap.com for VERY reasonable prices, even including the shipping (which they sometimes offer for free), but the surface is less than ideal for gameplay.

Edited by ziggy2000