Sign in to follow this  
lsuedd2

Gaming mats

Emrico said:

Trooper TK421 said:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned CorSec engineering yet. Here's the link:

corseceng.com/fabric-mats/

Way overpriced for a gaming mat, IMO. $100 for 4'x6'. That's just nuts. I'll stick with my MKP mat that was $18.

Jim

Yeah, I didn't see the prices until after I posted the link…I'll stick with my HOTZ matt.

I would personally prefer a low-key background that doesn't stand out too much.  The ships are supposed to be the "stars."

The cheapest solution I've found is here.  A mere $13 after shipping for a 36"x44" star background.

http://www.amazon.com/Wide-Twinkle-Stars-Midnight-Fabric/dp/B0081UJ5P2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1351200507&sr=8-4&keywords=star+fabric

Another possibility if you want something heftier and don't care about the thematic pattern is this.

http://www.amazon.com/Body-Solid-Super-RF34B-Bike/dp/B00186NOK8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1351200752&sr=8-2&keywords=rubber+mat

If you have a Walmart nearby, this is an option.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/VIP-Fabrics-Anything-Goes-Fabric-Cosmos-Black/17189991

Hi guys! I'm new to the game, only have the starter set, but I've ordered some more ships that will hopefully turn up soon :)

I made a space mat, by getting a big hubble telescope photo of a nebula, sizing it to the dimension of my gaming table, then using PosteRazor to cut it up into a PDF file of A4 pages. I printed it out, laminated, cut out, and taped together to make a spacey gaming table :) It's a bit glossier than I thought it would be, so it's hard to get photos without reflections showing, but it turned out all right.

I also printed, resized, posterazored and cut/taped a desert planet image I found on Google, to make a planet I can sit on the map as a backdrop piece, and also did the same thing with the Corellian Corvette piece on X-Wing Miniature Game's Board Game Geek pages. Love the Corvette!

I tried to host them on photobucket so I could display them here, but for some reason, photobucket is really buggy at the moment, so I've just linked to the images direct, from my star wars minis blog.

2.bp.blogspot.com/-9nYq_S8qoBc/UJYIxUk4HdI/AAAAAAAADnw/OtvZvXMsYHQ/s1600/bigger+view.JPG

2.bp.blogspot.com/-egMvj-EvxkE/UJYI7lHwPtI/AAAAAAAADn4/0TbtPaH_JwE/s1600/close+up+1.JPG

1.bp.blogspot.com/-VxG8XXDdUuE/UJYJSgmcb0I/AAAAAAAADoA/cfckAALn1N8/s1600/planet+overlay.JPG

1.bp.blogspot.com/-P_mMFnd9tc4/UJYJwHdLHFI/AAAAAAAADoQ/0YWhDP5MJ-E/s1600/star+wars+x-wing+002.JPG

I thought I'd have a go at doing a mat, so I found a suitable Hubble image, but added a couple of colored bars to mark out the play areas (3' x 3'  & 3' x 4')

This is the final version I used:

8122492338_c7bef98950_d.jpg

I made the file full size (1000mm x 1300mm) @ 300dpi, so the image was quite big and had to send it through the mail.  In under 5 working days, the printers sent the mat as you can see from the snaps below.

I just didn't realise how bright the centre of this image is…

8153327771_33a19bcb09_d.jpg

8153359618_69a1262bb6_d.jpg

I added faded color strips to mark off a 3' x 3' (green) & a 3' x 4' (red) and I think it works well

8153329253_274e55b11e_d.jpg

Almost all of it, couldn't get it all in….

8153331009_7ef8f75178_d.jpg

This is a shot of the material the mat is made of. Its quite thick, but looks hard wearing.

8153358636_cc6cde2811_d.jpg

I am quite happy with the results, so I'll definitely do another (or two…gran_risa.gif

The custom mat was £25, then add the delivery & taxes and it was just under £40.

This was through www.printed.com (UK based) and a custom banner (with no eyelets)

For those who spent all their money on models and have only pocket change for mats,  3x3 black felt cloth is available prepackaged at AC Moore craft stores for about $8 US. Go online and get a 50% off one store item coupon.  

Emrico said:

Way overpriced for a gaming mat, IMO. $100 for 4'x6'. That's just nuts. I'll stick with my MKP mat that was $18.

Jim

while i agree that the corsec mats might be a bit overkill for x-wing, they're FANTASTIC quality made from excellent fabric and with nicely sewn edges.  they're the most durable and great-looking pre-made gaming products i've ever used.  cor-sec rules.

that said, i definitely am currently using an MKP mat wrapped around some 2" insulation foam for x-wing, and saving the cor-sec mat for my other, larger-scale spaceship games.

also, some of you guys have been really creative with the subtle multi-colored maps you're making!  super cool stuff!

Harleequin said:

LenieSirz said:

Hey Everyone,

I can't seem to figure out how to order a double sided mat from HOTZ. It's just not clear to me. I planned on going for the 4x6 mat. Can someone help me out, please?

Thanks for your time.

Well, Hotz has to have one of the WOOOOOOOOOORST customer services on a website I've ever seen. I sent an email, got a response a week and a half later, and afterwards, sent a reply email to him, and haven't heard from him since, it's been almost a month. My first email to him was about a question I had, and he immediately sent me a paypal invoice. Still waiting on a reply email from him, but he still hasn't gotten back to me, I'm going to send him one more, maybe he accidentally trashed it or it landed in spam.

I should read more forum posts before jumping in and buying things. I saw the first post about hotz, got excited and ordered one, and then came back here to the rest of the discussion… Is customer service always this bad, or was this just a one-off experience??

I really want that mat!!

I'm throwing in with Corsec Engineering. Quite impressed with what I've seen, and the fact that he's improving on the Blue Stars pattern is even better. 

Jonathan has been very prompt with his emails and was good enough to discuss some of his processes via email. Very impressed, and I've found the mat itself to be acceptable price-wise despite shipping half-way around the world, in comparison to what it would cost to get it done locally.

He is also making custom flight stands and firing arc templates for those interested. The only downside to the stands so far is that there is no way to mount the ship number chits.

http://corseceng.com/

I ordered a Hotz mat about 4 months ago, 6'x4' double sided with hexes on one side for another space game play. I have sent him numerous emails with little to no communication except to say it would be ready soon. It has been 6 weeks since my last contact with the man.

Though the quality and price is right, Eric Hotz has a LOT to learn about how to treat customers. I can guarantee when (if!) I get my mat it will be the last order I make with him.

So a late gaming mat post… but i had the problem that not all the tables i had to play on have enought space for a 3'x3' gaming mat.

So here is my idea for a gaming mat that can be used on any table wich is to small and is still easy to transport.

IMAG0435.jpg

The idea is that you can play on a table wich is to small because the pols make sure that the mat can´t hang over the table without having trouble while transporting because the mat is still able to roll together…

What do you think…?

I made a mat from a star pattern fabric I found at Walmart. Got someone to hem it up for me and it works wonderfully. Only cost me five dollars to have it made. Looks decent enough for it, plus it can be washed easily if something spills on it or what not.

I just bought 3/4 inch foam and plan of attaching printed star fields 8x10 sheets to it. I bought some spray adhesive but was wondering if anyone has experience with this or should I use something else to glue it with.

I tried to repair the sun visor on my minivan once with Elmer's spray adhesive. It is fabric covering foam over the interior material.

It was not a successful project. The glue remained sticky or became very stiff as it soaked the fabric.

Maybe you have an adhesive made for fabric, but I would not recommend this.

Why do you want such a thick play surface?

Just got into this game last week, and already been spending way too much time on it!  For my board, I decided to go with MDF and a spray painted star map.  The overall size is 4'x4' for larger games, with the area in the middle being 3'x3'.  I was going to just cut it to 3x3, but a friend I play with suggested leaving the border as a place to set tokens and cards.  Seemed like a good idea, so here we are.

X-wingtable.jpg

I cut the board into four 2'x2' sections and used hinges to put them together, making it possible to fold it into a smaller and more mobile package.

The artwork is just a basic job with spray paint.  Black background with random blue added, and a smattering of white starfield.

EDIT: Had the wrong formatting tags, fixed it.