Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lsuedd2

Gaming mats

180 posts in this topic

Have you tried Monday Knight Games? I can't speak to their quality, as I don't own one, but they have a 3' x 3' for $18 and a larger one.

Baphomet69 said:

Have you tried Monday Knight Games? I can't speak to their quality, as I don't own one, but they have a 3' x 3' for $18 and a larger one.

I really wanted a double sided mat, same design, but one side with hexagons, do they also do that?

Here's mine. I originally just had a 6x4 black felt cloth and decided to ping some chalk lines to make the 3x3 area. Then as the dust settled thought I could get some coloured chalk and sandpaper and make chalk dust to 'paint' a background. I also added a dash of glitter and sealed with hair laquer.

DSCF2594.jpg

There appears to be a shortage of available mats in the UK. 

I've sourced a provider of Avlyn's Space Navy fabric in Newcastle.  Works a treat! Go check it out on our blog:

DSC_0478_1504x1000-1000x664.jpg

Ring Kim and order a meter, otherwise you'll be left bamboozled by the World of Quilting (10 cam squares or a 'Fat Quarter').  They'll help you out if you want more!

Hey Everyone,

I can't seem to figure out how to order a double sided mat from HOTZ. It's just not clear to me. I planned on going for the 4x6 mat. Can someone help me out, please?

Thanks for your time.

LenieSirz said:

Hey Everyone,

I can't seem to figure out how to order a double sided mat from HOTZ. It's just not clear to me. I planned on going for the 4x6 mat. Can someone help me out, please?

Thanks for your time.

Well, Hotz has to have one of the WOOOOOOOOOORST customer services on a website I've ever seen. I sent an email, got a response a week and a half later, and afterwards, sent a reply email to him, and haven't heard from him since, it's been almost a month. My first email to him was about a question I had, and he immediately sent me a paypal invoice. Still waiting on a reply email from him, but he still hasn't gotten back to me, I'm going to send him one more, maybe he accidentally trashed it or it landed in spam.

IMG_20121015_192034.jpg

Just wanted to post my experience with Hotz mats. I got fast service - ordered on September 27, and received it today. I got to take it for a spin for the first time with my boys tonight. It looks and plays great!

I also had some slow response on questions by email, but I remained polite and patient and eventually got satisfactory responses. I am very pleased with my results. I would suggest that anyone with a bad experience try again. I get the feeling that it is more an issue with the disorganization that occurs with one person running a business than with malicious or "bad" service.

I have two space-scape flocked mats. One 6X4 and one 5X4.  They each have hexes superimposed over them for Silent Death game.  But they are nice to use plus I went to Hobby Lobby and got a 36X72 inch length of deep lavender felt.  I used a light splatter technique with some white, red, purple paint.  Flicking the brush over the felt made a nice random star pattern.

It looks okay for an old f**t doing this in a short amount of time.

Mark

I also have ordered my mat from Banners on the cheap.

I went and looked up Hubble Space Images and then selected the image I wanted to use. I made to sure to find the hi rez version of it that was as close to 20 mbs as I could find.

Downloaded it.

Opened with MS Paint

I shrank the size from 30 mbs to 19.5 and uploaded the image in the custom Banners on the Cheap page.

With shipping I am out the door on a vinyl mat at $22.00

Can somebody who's ordered one of these Spoonflower mats tell me a little bit more about them? How thick and durable are they? Do they fold up well without wrinkling too much? Do ships move and slide easily across them? Thanks in advance.

my new game board

I made this just now out of a 5.99 cardboard project display board using nothing but a piece of paper, a toothbrush, spray paint, and 4 colors of enamel paint. I then used dullcoat to protect it. 

I hope it dries well.

I purchased a yard and a half of black marine grade vinyl.  it cost me 8 dollars after i used a 60% off.  it is very durable.  I have been watching some spray paint galaxy art videos on youtube and I want to try to try my hand at painting a galaxy on the the vinyl.  I will let you know how it turns out.  here are some links to the tutorials on youtube that I was talking about.

If the vinyl doesn't work I might try it on poster boards and laminate them

In the Millennium Falcon video thread, Anton Torres is asked about a playmat. He says they haven't announced anything, but keep your eyes on the website. That made me so excited! I think I'm gonna wait and see what the official FFG mat looks like before buying a mat from somewhere else.

If any of you happened to buy the "Battleship: Galaxies" game by Hasbro, it comes with two boards that work pretty well, and you can put them together for a larger play area. They have a hex grid on them but that doesn't bother me too much.