Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lsuedd2

Gaming mats

180 posts in this topic

how did you find the quality of the MKP star mat? on other forums I have heard that the quality is low.

What is better quality do you think hotz felt mat vs MKP star mat?

I bought the MKG star mat and it is functional but some of the stars are blobby and the mat is not perfectly cut 3x3.  It arrived within a week of ordering.  

I have some stuff from Hotzmats and his work is far better quality. He however has major customer service issues though. It took three months to get my product. He also ignored three emails I sent for information.  I've heard of delivery times ranging from 5 weeks to over 6 months.  So if you are patient and willing to be treated like your business isn't important then go with Hotz. Eric really needs to hire some help, he could easily quadruple his sales if he could deliver on a timely basis. 

Airborne Engineer said:

I bought the MKG star mat and it is functional but some of the stars are blobby and the mat is not perfectly cut 3x3.  It arrived within a week of ordering.  

I have some stuff from Hotzmats and his work is far better quality. He however has major customer service issues though. It took three months to get my product. He also ignored three emails I sent for information.  I've heard of delivery times ranging from 5 weeks to over 6 months.  So if you are patient and willing to be treated like your business isn't important then go with Hotz. Eric really needs to hire some help, he could easily quadruple his sales if he could deliver on a timely basis. 

I had the exact same problem you did with Hotz on my last order, 3-4 months to get my order and only 1 email from him thats why I am wondering if MKP is a better option.

For those who are interested in the Hotz gaming mats I just posted a review of their Enhanced Deep Space mat over at Fire Broadside

It does take some time for the mats to be made and shipped, but if you are not in a hurry it's hard to beat their price to quality ratio.

hotz12.jpg

Poe said:

For those who are interested in the Hotz gaming mats I just posted a review of their Enhanced Deep Space mat over at Fire Broadside

It does take some time for the mats to be made and shipped, but if you are not in a hurry it's hard to beat their price to quality ratio.

hotz12.jpg

Thanks for the review, was debating on literally getting the same double sided mat from him, one side with hexes, one without, now I know I'll get this. Just want to ask him ETA, and price including shipping (Rolled not folded).

Just a fun pic of my star table:

DSC00167.jpg

Little did this fledgling x-wing pilot know that his fate had just been decided…

I just got my Enhanced Space mat from Hotz Mats. I ordered it 22/8 during Gencon so back then Eric was hard to get hold off which i can understand. But after that he replys very quick on emails even on sundays. The quality is very nice and i would strongly recommend order from Hotz. I know alot of people say they give bad service but i dont agree. Havnt played on it yet tho. 

He gives good service to about 50percent of his customers which is great if your part of the 50percent but hardly a positive indictment.

I have had bad service from Mr. Hotz also.  I ordered one of his "Budget" mats back in the beginning of September.  These are the misprint mats.  I have yet to get it a month later.  I fail to see how it should take a month to get an item that has already been manufactured.  I have also emailed twice with no response, I would at least expect an answer to my emails.  He takes the money fast enough.

Doc Savage said:

Here is my Death Star / Star Destroyer / Hi Tech mat. Printed 3x4 at gotprint.com

xwing22.jpg

xwingdsmat1.jpg

Couple of questions Doc. Where on the site is the mat option? I can't seem to find it. Also, where did you get the texture print for this?

I thought I should put up a sample of the mats that I just picked up today!

They are 3x3 mats, printed and then pasted onto foamcore backing.

I am looking forward to giving these a test run at our local game day tomorrow.

WP_000330_zps916858ab.jpgWP_000328_zps0f2e64c5.jpg

Shanester40 and Parravon like this

XorKaya said:

Doc Savage said:

Here is my Death Star / Star Destroyer / Hi Tech mat. Printed 3x4 at gotprint.com

(deleted pix)

Couple of questions Doc. Where on the site is the mat option? I can't seem to find it. Also, where did you get the texture print for this?

On the gotprint site go to banners. I made a 3x4 banner (there are brass grommets in the corners) Matte finish. I find glossy to glarey for gaming.

The Deathstar surface graphics are by Jedilaw. The graphics can be found here. You will see that I stitched a bunch of these together to make this mat.

Nalydd said:

Just a fun pic of my star table:

DSC00167.jpg

Little did this fledgling x-wing pilot know that his fate had just been decided…

Look at the size of that thing!

Nice mat :)

I ordered a proper mat, but while I'm waiting for it to get here, I followed the lead of a couple of others and got a space print and some felt from Wal-Mart. Thankfully, we actually have a designer/seamstress on staff where I work, and she was more than happy to stitch it together for me.

Also, my Lego Corellian corvette is almost perfectly to scale!

2337888-sw1.jpg2337889-sw2.jpg2337890-sw3.jpg

I've had both fantastic and horrible experiences with Hotz mats.

I ordered two custom space mats, they arrived surprisingly quickly and to spec.

On the other hand, I ordered a bunch of his river system (a relatively new product). Weeks went by. I got notice that it should have shipped. It never arrived. After another few weeks I emailed asking about it and if he could provide a tracking number. A couple of weeks later I received a response that there had been a delay and my order would be shipping out within a day or two. Repeat the cycle a couple more times, but with little to no further communication. Months later, after I had given up and written them off, I received another email that they shipped, and lo-and-behold, a few days later they arrived.

Of course, when this game launched,  I emailed him about maybe doing a Death Star/Star Destroyer type surface. Still haven't received a response. Just as well, I've already moved on to other options.

Caveat Emptor

Baphomet69 said:

I've had both fantastic and horrible experiences with Hotz mats.

I ordered two custom space mats, they arrived surprisingly quickly and to spec.

On the other hand, I ordered a bunch of his river system (a relatively new product). Weeks went by. I got notice that it should have shipped. It never arrived. After another few weeks I emailed asking about it and if he could provide a tracking number. A couple of weeks later I received a response that there had been a delay and my order would be shipping out within a day or two. Repeat the cycle a couple more times, but with little to no further communication. Months later, after I had given up and written them off, I received another email that they shipped, and lo-and-behold, a few days later they arrived.

Of course, when this game launched,  I emailed him about maybe doing a Death Star/Star Destroyer type surface. Still haven't received a response. Just as well, I've already moved on to other options.

Caveat Emptor

What other option did you go to?

Trying to contacts Hotz at Hotz mats, but he's taking forever to respond, if he doesn't respond by tomorrow I'm definitely not giving him my business, tries to rush the paypal invoice when I asked him a simple question, his time is no more valuable than mine, and his business "ethic" Is absolutely disgusting, he's lucky I really need a space mat for this game and I can't find another good quality to Cost as to him and can't make one myself.