Sign in to follow this  
TieDefender

Long term release plans

Do you think they have enough rebel fighters to release much more in the way of expansions? sure there is the B-wing and maybe Z-95 but the Imperials still have the Missile boat, Tie defender, Assault Gunboat and Tie Bomber….

I am just worried we won't get the really cool Imperial ships because the rebels don't have enough to balance it out.

well I think they will have to go into the EU to keep the game going for any real length of time. my only concern is that I was looking at the announcement for the Slave 1 and it looks like the it has the Imperial symbol on the maneuver dial. That makes me a little sad since I was hoping to get either a bounty hunter "faction" or a neutral faction. I was thinking of how cool it would be to eventually see Yuzhan Vong ships, but I think it would be WRONG to see them with Imperial markings on them.

There was an X-wing book where Rogue Squadron members fly Z-95s.

In regards to a rebel match the Tie-Defender never made mass production due to cost and the Empire falling apart. A counter measure never developed as a result.

The EU stuff should show up, there are too few movie ships in EIV,V,VI. I just hope that the prequel ships don't become the next focus :S

I guess I forgot the E-wing which would help open the doors for a tie defender and there were upgraded X-wings.

Has there been talk about prequel ships? I would weep with sorrow if we got anything to do with those abominations rather then stuff from tie fighter the greatest video game ever lol.

Z-95 is interesting cuz u can have imp and rebel pilots for it, rebels could be Lieutenant Blount, Colonel Cracken and N'dru Suhlak and imp could be Mara jade and Bossk not to mention they can add in non unique pilots such as the Bespin Defense Pilot

Personally I hope they release every darn snub-fighter (and small starships too) that's been in the originals, the prequels, the EU, videogames, whatever.  That will just add to the longevity of the game.  I understand there are folks who don't care for the prequels.  That's fine, you don't have to buy those ships.  Please don't begrudge those of us who do want them by hoping they don't even make them.

Hoping they do a Z-95 with a pilot card for Han from "Han Solo at Star's End"!

Jim

It is a little dissapointing if it turns out that Slave 1 has Imperial markings, hopefully they could look into other Bounty Hunter ships.

As for the prequels… I certainly do not begrudge anyone getting them or wanting them but they're not something I really warm to and my interest in continuing to buy would end. I would imagine, though, that FFG would end up mixing prequels and OT ships in the same waves.

I would rather they just finish the classic trilogy first before doing anything prequels , it would be kind of sh*tty for your builds to lack variety because they keep going back and forth between the 2 trilogies they just need to finish this one with the EU then they can move over to the other.

Thats just it though, thats the whole reason they r likely to mix prequel stuff with OT stuff cuz it gives fans more to buy. I dont mind the prequal stuff coming out at the same time like lotr is doing with the hobbit cards, its a different game with the same mechanics that can be compatible if players want to battle droid fighters against tie fighters or x-wings ect. And lets not forget the Y-wing is technically already a clone wars era ship. I think they would release them together and each would produce expansions regularly, it makes  the most fiscal sense for them. Cuz they can only do so much with the OT before they r just either running out or reissuing x-wing and ties with different pilot cards. (id rather new pilots be released with my card expansion idea lol). They r going to have to either move to prequel era or EU era ships in order to keep the game going and i for one would love either or. For ppl who wanna keep it OT like i said they dont gotta buy the other era ships, and they can keep their games OT only. Im a collector at heart so the more different ships they put out the happier ill be.

I know I am probably just wishful thinking here…but some of the ships from the SW:TOR MMO would be cool for this too.  

The Imperial type VI "Dagger" would be awesome.  I also love the X-70 Phantoms, the SIth Marauders (Which were prequels to what Darth Maul used in Ep 1) and the "Stealth Ties have the inward canted wings like the marauders.  The Corellian Lt corvette..and even the Republic fighters would be cool.  

I know alot of other stuff is in the pipeline….and their may be licensing issues…..but I personally would love to see some of them make it into this game.

I'd like to see the prequel stuff released, but very preferably after the Empire era stuff has enough variety.

As for capital ships, that would require a very different set of rules to play. I'd love to see that done a lot better than the previous incarnation (cough Starship Battles cough).

The main problem with having prequel-era ships would be that their stats would be poorer than those of the OT.  Or at least that's how it would feel more correct to me and be more representative of technology having improved over time.

Looking at the way FFG marketed and sold Wings of War, I believe they may simply reissue existing ships with different markings and give us new character cards for what are essentially the same sculpts.  Just based on the Battle of Yavin alone, there's at least a pile of Rebel Pilots that have not yet been given their own cards:

Red Leader - Garven Dreis *done*

Red Two - Wedge Antilles *done*

Red Three - Biggs Darklighter *done*

Red Four - Jon D. Branon (who replaced Cisi "Doc" Eiriss shortly before Yavin - another character option)

Red Five - Luke Skywalker *done*

Red Six - Jek Tono Porkins

Red Seven - Elyhek Rue

Red Eight - Bren Quersley

Red Nine - Nozzo Naytaan

Red Ten - Theron Nett

Red Eleven - Wenton Chan

Red Twelve - Puck Naeco

Gold Leader - Jon "Dutch" Vander *done*

Gold Two - Tiree

Gold Three - Ryle Torsyn

Gold Four - Lt Lepira

Gold Five - Davish "Pops" Krail

Gold Six - Hol Okand

Gold Seven - Keyan Farlander

Then there's the Battle of Endor, with the A-Wing and B-Wing Squadrons too.  I can see myself getting at least another 10 X-Wings to properly field Red group/Rogue Squadron and another 11 Y-Wings to complete Gold Squadron.  Thanks to Stackpole's books and the X-Wing/TIE Fighter game series, I'd say that there's still some distance left to cover before you could say they'd run out of stuff to release. gran_risa.gif

rogue_lead said:

The main problem with having prequel-era ships would be that their stats would be poorer than those of the OT.  Or at least that's how it would feel more correct to me and be more representative of technology having improved over time.

Looking at the way FFG marketed and sold Wings of War, I believe they may simply reissue existing ships with different markings and give us new character cards for what are essentially the same sculpts.  Just based on the Battle of Yavin alone, there's at least a pile of Rebel Pilots that have not yet been given their own cards:

Red Leader - Garven Dreis *done*

Red Two - Wedge Antilles *done*

Red Three - Biggs Darklighter *done*

Red Four - Jon D. Branon (who replaced Cisi "Doc" Eiriss shortly before Yavin - another character option)

Red Five - Luke Skywalker *done*

Red Six - Jek Tono Porkins

Red Seven - Elyhek Rue

Red Eight - Bren Quersley

Red Nine - Nozzo Naytaan

Red Ten - Theron Nett

Red Eleven - Wenton Chan

Red Twelve - Puck Naeco

Gold Leader - Jon "Dutch" Vander *done*

Gold Two - Tiree

Gold Three - Ryle Torsyn

Gold Four - Lt Lepira

Gold Five - Davish "Pops" Krail

Gold Six - Hol Okand

Gold Seven - Keyan Farlander

Then there's the Battle of Endor, with the A-Wing and B-Wing Squadrons too.  I can see myself getting at least another 10 X-Wings to properly field Red group/Rogue Squadron and another 11 Y-Wings to complete Gold Squadron.  Thanks to Stackpole's books and the X-Wing/TIE Fighter game series, I'd say that there's still some distance left to cover before you could say they'd run out of stuff to release. gran_risa.gif

There may be a lot of pilots left, but is there really any difference other than perhaps a special ability?  Most of these guys died REAL fast, so would probably not be any different than a red squadron pilot (or gold).  I can't see buying a repaint if there's no strategic value (especially if I already have plenty from wave 1.

There ma

Did the rebels produce a starfighter that could rival the Tie defender in any of the EU stuff?  I remember reading the thrawn trilogy but I seem to remember that it was still classic ships being used.

Since the Defender was never produced in large quantities (Matthew Stover's lazy inclusion of it in "Shadows of Mindor" notwithstanding), I don't think they felt the need to.  The closest you would get would be the E-Wing, which can't match it quite in firepower (though it has a huge number of missiles), but supposedly has the speed, maneuverability, and toughness.  And, of course, I'm sure at some point the XJ series would have met it.

As far as future plans go, I don't expect FFG to stick too long to X-Wing. They did a fantastic job on the game, setting a new standard on game balance and game parts (well, they've always been great on game parts). But let's face it, they parted with EVERY miniature game they were involved in so far. Rackham stuff/AT-43 & Ragnarok (ok was more like a cooperation that didn't went the right way), Wings of War, Dust Tactics (at least Dust Tactics could go on forever with Expansions and new releases).

I don't know why they got rid of the involvement in those systems, but I do believe they will keep on some more and will drop it during the hype of the new Disney movies, when they can expect to get a real good price for their work.

Seriously, they keep the amount of goods they store low although it's obvious that they could easily sell more if they just had the stuff; there's no other good reason to be so careful with a game going as well as X-Wing other then making sure you don't have leftovers when you drop it. I can see that you go easy on the first run, but not on the following with the buying craziness we just experienced.

Edited by Shaadea

As far as future plans go, I don't expect FFG to stick too long to X-Wing. They did a fantastic job on the game, setting a new standard on game balance and game parts (well, they've always been great on game parts). But let's face it, they parted with EVERY miniature game they were involved in so far. Rackham stuff/AT-43 & Ragnarok (ok was more like a cooperation that didn't went the right way), Wings of War, Dust Tactics (at least Dust Tactics could go on forever with Expansions and new releases).

I don't know why they got rid of the involvement in those systems, but I do believe they will keep on some more and will drop it during the hype of the new Disney movies, when they can expect to get a real good price for their work.

Seriously, they keep the amount of goods they store low although it's obvious that they could easily sell more if they just had the stuff; there's no other good reason to be so careful with a game going as well as X-Wing other then making sure you don't have leftovers when you drop it. I can see that you go easy on the first run, but not on the following with the buying craziness we just experienced.

I don't think so, especially the later part. No company can know 100% if a new product sells well, especially if it deviates froim their normal products. Star Wars is an extremely good franchise so it was bound to sell comparatively well but they were apparently still caught off guard by the extreme demand.

Now the company that actually produces the miniatures and everything associated with it are usually booked for months so it's not easy to wedge in a production/print rerun, especially if you don't own the production company, which is why we had these massive problems of getting product to buy.

Factor in actual production time and shipping time and i can see where the delay comes from. I'm pretty sure FFG didn't íntentionally lower stocks or kept them low because it's against any realistic business model i saw for this type of product (luxury goods are done that way because it artificially inflates prices and demand but gaming toys are not luxury goods). They want the revenue now while the game is hot and not having product to sell might turn off people from the game. It's also a fine line into how much you produce because you might end up with overstock leading to increased costs in warehousing and no sales to compensate.

My only concern now is actual game balance.. it is pretty good with movie trilogy ships with very vew problems that mostly only become an issue when running tournaments but i fear that Wave 4 might top that with the powerful E-Wing and Tie Defender that have everything but the kitchen sink and their only drawback are points costs. It remains to be seen how much they impact the game and i hope they are balanced well enough.

Surprised my old thread got revived, getting the tie defender is beyond awesome its alot to ask but if the game can continue in ffg hands long enough to get at least 2 of the assault gunboat, missile boat or avenger I can die a happy tiefighter fanatic.

I think that at the current rate of release, FFG can keep releasing stuff for years and years, drawing on a few different sources:

1- Expanded Universe (EU): There's more imperial stuff than rebel to be had here, but there are probably two solid waves of stuff to be milked out of the EU; just look into speculation threads for a taste.  Many more if there are imperial-only releases, due to the enormous amount of TIE variants.  

2-Prequel era: It leaves a bad taste in the mouth of many, but there is potential for prequel waves, or some sort of spin-off game.  

3-Sequel era: If FFG buys enough time with EU and/or prequel, they can make it to the release of the new movies.  It would be folly not to expect XWM releases alongside the movie release, or at the very least closely following it.  Assuming three new movies, we're looking at a long-lived XWM franchise.  

4-Pilot and Upgrade packs: Essentially printing money.  If/when miniatures sales stagnate, FFG may start releasing booster packs of cards for the game.  They would probably be cheap to produce, salable at 'low' cost to us at good profit to FFG.  Even better, there is practically no limit to how many of these FFG could produce.  

Given how successful XWM has been at selling product (the ships are flying off the shelves, har har), it would be insane to think FFG won't milk the teat as long as they can.