Sign in to follow this  
Ming31

Campaign improvement

Was a huge Blue Max  player ( by GDW) back in the day . They had a pilot improvement system  when you reached a certian level of points ( surviving , kils etc) you got an improvement . I am toying with the Idea  of  geting a point for each damage you do , 5 for a kill,  when you hit so many  your poiny skill improves or you can " buy an ability l" .  You need scenerios  as slugfests  get alot of pilots killed .   Any one have any thoughts ?

One solution is this: When a ship is defeated during play, the pilot isn't necessarily dead - use an appropriate method afterward to determine his fate. An injured pilot could start future games with a "pilot" damage card, or have injuries grievous enough to cause them to retire or die.

That's one way you don't have to mess with the core gameplay, yet still have the potential for linked games. 

You could also allow pilots to leave the table if damaged and only give them partial points. Also, there's ejection seats and life-support systems in Star Wars, a destroyed ship doesn't always mean a dead pilot.

Pilot experience would be cool, but X-Wing's very simple rules make it hard to implement properly. Still, I'd love to see campaign play, as I love games that support it. The almost RPG-like experience of a long campaign is great fun. Your pilots really start developing personalities of their own through the dice and game experience.