Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nemomon

Talisman Prologue - a PC game

93 posts in this topic

BanthaFodder said:

Hi Carl, I figured that might be the case, did not realize you were such a small team. I must admit I don't know much about Marmalade, does it produce code that you then have to go in and 'adjust'. In my experience of other cross-platform SDKs that has been the case but things seem to have improved a lot.

Some extra questions for you then:

1. Does PC mean 'Windows' or OSX/Linux/Windows ?

2. Will iPad have system requirements on iOS (i.e. will it be iOS6 only ? 

There would be lots of adjustments required to go from PC to iPad using Marmalade. It certainly handles a lot of the complicated stuff, but the biggest issue we'll have will be memory and squeezing a PC game down into iPad memory. The Talisman artwork is great and highly detailed, and we've wanted to show this off as much as possible on the PC, but with more restrictive memory on other devices, we may need to tightly pack some data!

1) PC does mean Windows.

2) We haven't finalised the iOS requirements yet. We want as many people to play this game as possible, so we don't really want to rule out previous iOS versions.

Carl

Velhart said:

That is good news!

I have another question: Is it possible to release expansion sets for Talisman Prologue, so we can update the base game.

For example the Reaper expansion, that can add 90 cards to the game, and a reaper NPC, that will move around the board.

The Computer can control the reaper this time instead of the player itself. ( because it's a single player game:)

Greetings,

Velhart

Hi Velhart,

We will definitely be looking at how best to implement the expansions for Talisman and we'd love to get you guys involved in that. Once Prologue is out and the dust settles, we'll be looking at all of the feedback and we really want to build the Talisman game that you guys have waited for all this time. We have to start small, due to our team size, but the hope is that everyone will get behind us and we create an awesome game together. Which expansion packs we implement first will be based on what you guys want the most!

The Reaper expansion does seem to have a lot of fans from what I've read so far!

Carl

Nomad_Carl said:

Hi Velhart,

We will definitely be looking at how best to implement the expansions for Talisman and we'd love to get you guys involved in that. Once Prologue is out and the dust settles, we'll be looking at all of the feedback and we really want to build the Talisman game that you guys have waited for all this time. We have to start small, due to our team size, but the hope is that everyone will get behind us and we create an awesome game together. Which expansion packs we implement first will be based on what you guys want the most!

The Reaper expansion does seem to have a lot of fans from what I've read so far!

Carl

Hello Carl,

Thank you for this information.

The Reaper Expansion has indeed a lot of fans.

And i must say that the base game without the Reaper expansion is not complete:)

But i like the Blood Moon and Sacred Pool better:)

I have another small question: Are there exactly 104 cards (from the base game) in Talisman Prologue?

I ask this question, because i saw a image, that has a lot of the same enemies. (4 giants? 3 serpents etc.

Greetings,

Velhart

Velhart said:

I have another small question: Are there exactly 104 cards (from the base game) in Talisman Prologue? I ask this question, because i saw a image, that has a lot of the same enemies. (4 giants? 3 serpents etc.

Greetings,

Velhart

Good question!

We have mostly stuck to the original pack of cards, but due to the nature of the quest system we're using, we have sometimes tweaked the amounts of different card types for the sake of difficulty.

For instance, when you play the board game there's a small chance that one player is the Priest and so having the Demon in the adventure deck is perfectly fine - the player who draws it could be the Priest and he can easily destroy it (low difficulty) or it could be the Warrior (extreme difficulty!). Because in Prologue we know which character you're playing as, we can tailor the deck for difficulty, so throwing Demons at the Warrior is a little unfair unless he's found the Cross!

So the screen you've seen was probably from one of the quests where we have tinkered with the deck for gameplay reasons.

Hope this answers your question,

Carl

Hello Carl,

Thanks for answering my question.

I see you have upload a character preview on the Talisman Prologue site.

I have a question about it.

If i am looking at the Monk, i don´t see that he can only add his craft value to his strength.

A monk may not add all his craft(including counters to his strength)

I just wanted to say this:)

Greetings,

Velhart

Good spot Velhart!

That article has been written as a very general overview of the characters, mostly for people unfamiliar with Talisman, so it didn't seem appropriate to go into finer rules such as Craft value just yet. Don't worry though, we have implemented that rule in the game!

Carl

Nomad_Carl said:

Good spot Velhart!

That article has been written as a very general overview of the characters, mostly for people unfamiliar with Talisman, so it didn't seem appropriate to go into finer rules such as Craft value just yet. Don't worry though, we have implemented that rule in the game!

Carl

Thanks Carl! :)

I can't wait until it is released:)

Nomad_Carl said:

There would be lots of adjustments required to go from PC to iPad using Marmalade. It certainly handles a lot of the complicated stuff, but the biggest issue we'll have will be memory and squeezing a PC game down into iPad memory. The Talisman artwork is great and highly detailed, and we've wanted to show this off as much as possible on the PC, but with more restrictive memory on other devices, we may need to tightly pack some data!

1) PC does mean Windows.

2) We haven't finalised the iOS requirements yet. We want as many people to play this game as possible, so we don't really want to rule out previous iOS versions.

Carl

Well that's what I figured, although I have not used a mutli-platform SDK platform for a long time. Probably works for something very simple…

So, Objective-C it is then, I got as far as first few chapters a while back for personal use (actually I was going to do a Talisman game just for myself as a project to test myself!) but life took over and not had a chance to revisit it yet. Seriously, good luck with that because:

1) BOOOOOO !!!!! Although if it will run on XP I could put it in my VM. Days of putting games on work machines long gone.

That means I will have to wait for the iPad version as long as 

2) Please please make it run on 1st gen. I don't normally early adopt but the tablet seemed like such a game changer.

The game does run on XP, so you're ok there!

We do really want to cater for iPad 1 owners, we just haven't had the chance to see what position that puts us in with regards to the iOS version, so we cannot make a final decision just yet.

Nomad_Carl said:

The game does run on XP, so you're ok there!

We do really want to cater for iPad 1 owners, we just haven't had the chance to see what position that puts us in with regards to the iOS version, so we cannot make a final decision just yet.

Great, I will have to dust off my the 'ol VM. #drumsfingersimpatientlywaitingforrelease

here's hoping regarding the iPad, it really is my device of choice these days.

Pre-orders now available!

For all those of you who've said 'can't wait!', well now you don't have to! We're accepting pre-orders on our website, which will allow you download an early preview of the game.

As well as the preview build, you will also receive exclusive extra content, including a digital soundtrack and Windows 7 theme pack. There's also the chance to get your name in the credits!

Go here to pre-order -

www.talisman-game.com/preorder

Looks interesting. Just as a question, the Deluxe version is ten times the price of the normal version with only the additional perk of your name in the credits. Do you intend to add additional things for those who purchase the Deluxe version or is that it?

I would be tempted to buy the Deluxe version if there was more than that but at the moment it seems a little steep just to sneak my name into the credits.

Hi,

I appreciate your feedback with regards to the pricing structure. 

The deluxe version is currently the standard edition with the addition of the name in credits. It's purpose is to provide those people who wish to give us extra support along our epic Talisman-shaped journey the chance to do so, in return for having their name forever etched into digital history. Almost like a 'Patron of Talisman'.

I do hope you'll go for the standard edition at least and we'll look forward to receiving your feedback.

Thanks,

Carl

Well, I tried the demo in my XP VM (VirtualBox) and I get an error

The build does not support SW rendering, and the device does not have HW support.

It is a little out of date, I could install the latest version but am I wasting my time?

Further update. I managed to get it to run. Kinda.

I installed the "experimental" 3D support from Guest Additions when in Safe Mode.

This then allowed the game to run. Which it does, almost completely.

I undertand this is still beta code and I am not exactly running a standard installation but still probably not that uncommon these days to have a virtual machine ??

Anyway, there is just a teeny tiny problem. 

None of the cards are displayed. sorpresa.gif

I get the shadows, the highlighting, the effects but that is all. So I have no idea which cards I am looking at.

This is all cards so characters, adventure cards etc etc.

I can see the ones on the board if I drop them but not ones I am holding.

It does make it a little difficult to play, I went to the blacksmith and bought a helmet and shield before I managed to get a weapon as I could not see what I was buying!!

I also get a program exception on quitting.

Well, I purchased the pre-order and just finished the first quest with the Warrior.  I have to say, it was pretty awesome playing Talisman on my PC.  I've been waiting for a Talisman video game version since i first bought the board game back in 1992 or so.  Congrats on a job well done.  I can't wait until the full version is released and multiplayer and expansions are made available.  Again, Congrats.

Just paypaled it now :).

Played the demo did warrior first mission in 8 turns thats my best. Anyone got the Beta version my link to the download does not work looking into it my end but don't know if its just me :(.

On another note you could do this yourself wi8th your set.. Just pick a character and draw 3 warlocks quests and see how long it takes you to complete them one at a time :). Might try that myself while I'm waiting :).

Played the demo a couple of times and found some "bugs"…

1. I dropped a item in the Village. Next time I landed there I didn't have the option to pick it up.

2. I had to roll the die at the Chasm, even though I had the Guide as my follower.

3. When I tried to walk through the Portal of Power and rolled on my strenght, the game didn't include the bonus strenght for my Unicorn and my Belt of Might.

4. I actually entered the Inner Region later to see how it worked and found out that you had to encounter the spaces there each time you land on them, even when you decide to turn back. That is not correct.

5. Maybee not a bug, but the game reminded me each turn that I had trophy-points to spend, but I wanted to save them untill later. The reminder was a bit annoying after a while…

Hope I helped you sort out some misstakes. I liked the demo otherwise and can't wait for the full game!

Carl,

Any chance you guys can try out using virtualbox? I am assuming that you have macs if you are planning to do an iPad version?

I did upgrade to the latest level but no joy. Such a shame. All the other effects work, the rolling dice, the sweeps in and out of the board.

For some reason the cards are not being rendered.

I would raise via your own forums but you won't let me register unless I pre-order and there is no point me pre-ordering if it won't work

in my environment. Chicken. Egg.

Hi guys,

To save filling up this forum with bugs, please send them to -

support@nomadgames.co.uk

And we'll be happy to reply to you in person.

I'll just cover some points though…

@Uvatha - 8 turns! That's pretty good! The average for that quest is around 16 turns. We're hoping to implement leaderboard support in the future so that these kinds of scores can be posted up for all to see!

@Nidhögg - 

1. I dropped a item in the Village. Next time I landed there I didn't have the option to pick it up. -  yes, that's a bug. It's not 100% though, but happens now and then.

2. I had to roll the die at the Chasm, even though I had the Guide as my follower. - Bug!

3. When I tried to walk through the Portal of Power and rolled on my strenght, the game didn't include the bonus strenght for my Unicorn and my Belt of Might. - Bug!

4. I actually entered the Inner Region later to see how it worked and found out that you had to encounter the spaces there each time you land on them, even when you decide to turn back. That is not correct. - Although this is not correct with regards to the board game rules, we are considering leaving this as it is because of how our quest structure works - you should never need to come back out of the Inner Region. We'll look into it though and may still change it.

5. Maybee not a bug, but the game reminded me each turn that I had trophy-points to spend, but I wanted to save them untill later. The reminder was a bit annoying after a while… - the reminder is mainly for newcomers to Talisman. People unfamiliar with the rules who've played Prologue very often forget to trade-in their trophies. It's not that often that you'll want to save them for later anyway. We'll change this for the multiplayer game though.

Glad you liked the demo!

@BanthaFodder -  Is it possible to assign more memory to your GPU?. The card rendering uses off-screen render targets which require lots of memory. Give it a try and let us know.

@Greggyjay - Awesome! Glad you like it!

Carl

Carl,

I will continue this on email but for completeness for anyone following the thread one last post for now… (I will ultimately update with a final resolution)

I assume that this is 2D as we are talking about just card images.

I'm not an expert on virtualization but I think the 3D is passed on to the host's GPU , I don't remember how much memory on the GPU, I think 1GB but if there is actually any 3D it seems to runs fine.

In the management settings on the virtual box I can only go up to 128MB for allocated but after a bit of research it seems I can bump that to 256MB on the command line only so I will give that a try tonight. From what I have seen, that might be the absolute limit currently.

I also got the pre-order, and have played through a couple of quests.

My initial impressions:

- good reproduction of game components, looks and feels like real Talisman

- as a solo game, it's different - but I like the variety of quests

- board game has so many elements / options to keep track of - very nice to have all that taken care of automatically

- good music, not sure how long with all tracks put together - but might consider playing music during real games  

- as an avid Talisman player with all expansions, I feel a strong need for greater variety of cards

- no real sense of danger of being killed - I never dropped below 3 Life and always had more than enough Fate or Gold - confident that I will complete quest just a metter of how long 

I've drawn her several times while playing. I was wondering why I couldn't remember her. I did not realise she was brand new. She's incredibly powerful as it is and much needed with some of the quests.