Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nemomon

Talisman Prologue - a PC game

93 posts in this topic

Jon New has sent me this two links:

www.talisman-game.com/

www.nomadgames.co.uk/newspost/talisman/

According to them a game for a PC and then for a mobile devices is coming. Pay attention that in the preview we can see a Fate attribute. It seems like this game is going to be based on the FFG version.

 

What do You think, considering that all the artwork for expansions are FFG copyrighted, could be possible that we will get expansions and cards exclusive only to that game?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I was excited to read the news at first, but after reading that it will be a single-player PC game only (at first they say), I was highly dissapointed.

Where is the fun in a single-player Talisman PC game? They need to rethink and develop a multiplayer version instead. Would be cool with a web-based browser version, with multiplayer support and a free-2-play model based on micro-transactions, where players pay to customize the looks of their heroes and buying "expanions packs".

That would have been awesome! Single-player Talisman? Meh….

allawi 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At first I was in amazed shock! But then again there seems to be no expansions (yet) and it misses the beer and pretzels of a board game get-together. I will buy it though, but not as a replacement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is still in development, and as always, it has to be kept simple at first. Pay attention to what the promo says, for goodness sake: "The first release…"

There have been past attempts to go this route with fantasy board games, and not just Talisman. They have all, for the most part, fallen on their faces.  The "prologue" is a first-stage product… and likely not just a test for the engineered system itself but to see if there really is a market for a board game gone video. If you want to see more than what the "Prologue" can do or is planned to do, either wait and see, or better yet, support it. 

It isn't going to get any further without actual support and profit. In fact, without such support it might not make it to the finish line in the "first release" stage. Many such endeavors have died for that alone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From what I can see -

Talisman Prologue will be the single player, version, which will concentrate on questing as you would have achievements in another video game.

After this version has been finished up and released work will continue on adding multi player capability and then who know what else.

I think the questing part looks rather cool and should easily translate to the physical boardgame as you can set yourself challenges and remember, not everyone has a gaming group to play with.

Look at this example screenshot -

tp_quest.jpg

It shows a range of Enemy cards around the board, and you likely have to travel around and kill them all, in the mean time encountering the board and other cards as you go.

In order for this venture to be successful, it would be great if the project could get onto Steam, which if you don't know is a digital gaming/content delivery system. I've used it for years for various games and hope to finally play Talisman through it!

If you have Steam, or want to get it, you can vote for Talisman as part of the "Greenlight" process they have of allowing games onto the platform. I shall be doing so now!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=97489182

Not your cup of tea? Vote for it anyway, so that others might be able to play it over Steam! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if they will also release expansions in the future, so that you can update the maingame with new cards and characters etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I've long wanted Talisman (and expansions) on my iPad for multiplayer &solo fun. (To go along with Carcassone & Ticket To Ride) so while I'm quietly excited by this turn of events, it's a ways to go yet for me. Till then I await Baldurs Gate Enhanced for the iPad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm looking forward to it, though it would be nice to have multiplayer. How many times, though, have you wanted to play Talisman and there's no one who wants to commit to a couple hours? This will be great in those situations. It'll be fun to play on your phone as well, when you've got some down time. I'm hoping they'll add some expansions as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I am certainly interested in this. I don't get much chance to organise real games so actually for me single-player is fine.

I am not surprised that they are starting that way as there are come real complexities when it comes to spells etc. with multi-player.

 

However, I am disappointed that they are not starting off with the tablet platform. That for me would have been a better fit for what they are trying to achieve. A casual gaming experience is better done in comfort using a tablet rather than a clunking PC. I know it is in plan, I hope that they specify when it will be out as I would rather have an iPad version that PC version. 

Starting small and building up is not a bad approach, especially with the modular approach taken to the board game.

 

On a side note, I really like Titan on the iPad, shows that the old board games of my youth can be transferred succesfully. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Blog01_pic03-1024x576.jpg

 

This looks very cool!

The rescue: Bandits have kidnapped the princess! lol

I also see: Warrior Training, Royal Delivery, Dragon Attack, and Utter Chaos:)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BanthaFodder said:

However, I am disappointed that they are not starting off with the tablet platform. That for me would have been a better fit for what they are trying to achieve. A casual gaming experience is better done in comfort using a tablet rather than a clunking PC. I know it is in plan, I hope that they specify when it will be out as I would rather have an iPad version that PC version. 

Not sure why you think sitting at a "clunking PC" is not for casual gaming. I've done far more gaming on the PC than any other platform (consoles included). Frankly, they have a larger market by going to PCs over iPads. The overall market hasn't changed much in terms of sales. More people have or own laptops and desktops vs those that own any kind of ipad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope that we also get a Official Soundtrack, so i can use it with my Talisman Board game:)

The music in those trailers are awesome!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Hi Guys,

Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself.

My name is Carl and I work at Nomad Games, developers of Talisman Prologue. 

If you have any questions about the game then feel free to send them my way and I'll do my best to answer them for you. We're very excited to be working on this fantastic board game and we hope that over time we can deliver the game you've all been waiting so long for!

 

Carl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nomad_Carl said:

 Hi Guys,

Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself.

My name is Carl and I work at Nomad Games, developers of Talisman Prologue. 

If you have any questions about the game then feel free to send them my way and I'll do my best to answer them for you. We're very excited to be working on this fantastic board game and we hope that over time we can deliver the game you've all been waiting so long for!

 

Carl

Hello Carl,

Welcome on the Talisman Forums!

Do you have a mail adress where people can send their questions?

I have ask already a question about a cd on facebook:)

Greetings

Velhart

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Hi Velhart,

Thank you for your welcome!

You can email me if you like, at carl.jackson@nomadgames.co.uk although asking questions on here might be better so that everyone else can read them. But feel free to mail me whenever you like!

We are currently looking at soundtrack availability and there will be some news on this very soon!

Thanks,

Carl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kallabecca said:

BanthaFodder said:

 

However, I am disappointed that they are not starting off with the tablet platform. That for me would have been a better fit for what they are trying to achieve. A casual gaming experience is better done in comfort using a tablet rather than a clunking PC. I know it is in plan, I hope that they specify when it will be out as I would rather have an iPad version that PC version. 

 

 

Not sure why you think sitting at a "clunking PC" is not for casual gaming. I've done far more gaming on the PC than any other platform (consoles included). Frankly, they have a larger market by going to PCs over iPads. The overall market hasn't changed much in terms of sales. More people have or own laptops and desktops vs those that own any kind of ipad.

First of all, a disclaimer. I have iMac, thinkpad (work), iPad, PS1,PS2,PS3,N64,GameCube,Wii - of these, the older consoles are stored away, the later ones are out but rarely used, the PS3 gets most action as a BluRay player. The iMac is the home computer has some games on it that I rarely play and even has a XP VM with old games in it (that I rarely play) , had thinkpads for work since about 95 but in years gone by I had games installed that I used to play (now transferred to the VM to gather dust there) The iPad gets the most action by far.

I write software for a living but corporate stuff, nothing as interesting as games.

 

The key word I used was 'casual'. In my opinion (not fact) a 'casual' game is better on the tablet form rather than PC. I am willing to have a different discussion at some point about the impending demise of the PC for general home use but also partly a consideration, not that relevant to this forum and was not particularly what I meant.

If you use a PC for gaming, you would probably be sat at a desk, with a mouse and keyboard. There are games that are suited to this and there are some that are not. I would argue that the types of games that are suited are not casual, they involve a large investment in time. Sitting with a laptop is, in my experience, an incredibly uncomfortable experience and not one I would do for fun. I have in the past, but only because that was the only available choice at the time to me.

I only have the small video clips and summary about what will be on offer. Talisman is a pretty simple game with quirky rules (which is why I like it) Prologue is simplified still further being a single-person only affair to start . So, no need for peripherals, no gazing at a screen for long periods looking at a vast gamut of information. It looks to be a pick-up-and-play time game. Perfectly attainable and suitable for a tablet device (I specifically mentioned tablet initially but ended with iPad as that is my preference as I have one but others are available - it is the form factor I was referring to)

In the video of the show, they actually use a touch-screen which shows how suitable it would be to that interface but don't get me started on the ergonomics on using a vertically placed tough screen for any amount of time.

Also, it would seem that they are trying to bring in new blood, which is a wise move. Old-hands will probably buy it whatever the platform, as long they have that platform. Where are the next generation buying and playing their games ? On a PC or on mobile devices ? I don't know the figures but if I was going to move into game development I know where I would be concentrating my efforts.

 

I see now that Carl from Nomad has joined the merry band (Welcome Carl) so perhaps he could answer on more detail why the decision was taken to release on PC first. I am intrigued also why the separation. From what I can tell it is being developed on a platform that allows you to produce code for both PC and tablets from the same source. Sounds clever but I imagine there might be some tweaking required and for the iPad that would mean Objective-C which is, well, not the friendliest so perhaps that, perhaps the process required to get into the stores.

Carl ?

 

Anyway, hope this does not sound like a rant because it isn't. Just trying to explain myself. It looks like a bit of a ramble now but I don't have time to re-write it. Oh well. Looking forward to the Prologue anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BanthaFodder said:

 

BanthaFodder said:

I see now that Carl from Nomad has joined the merry band (Welcome Carl) so perhaps he could answer on more detail why the decision was taken to release on PC first. I am intrigued also why the separation. From what I can tell it is being developed on a platform that allows you to produce code for both PC and tablets from the same source. Sounds clever but I imagine there might be some tweaking required and for the iPad that would mean Objective-C which is, well, not the friendliest so perhaps that, perhaps the process required to get into the stores.

Carl ?

Hi!

Throughout Talisman Prologue's development, we've had touch devices in mind, but because we're such a small team (only four people working on it full-time!), we thought it best to lead on a platform we've had more experience with and the iPad/tablet version won't be too far off anyway. We don't have the manpower to work on several platforms at the same time, so we had to pick one and stick with it.

Carl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nomad_Carl said:

BanthaFodder said:

 

 

 

BanthaFodder said:

I see now that Carl from Nomad has joined the merry band (Welcome Carl) so perhaps he could answer on more detail why the decision was taken to release on PC first. I am intrigued also why the separation. From what I can tell it is being developed on a platform that allows you to produce code for both PC and tablets from the same source. Sounds clever but I imagine there might be some tweaking required and for the iPad that would mean Objective-C which is, well, not the friendliest so perhaps that, perhaps the process required to get into the stores.

 

Carl ?

 

 

Hi!

Throughout Talisman Prologue's development, we've had touch devices in mind, but because we're such a small team (only four people working on it full-time!), we thought it best to lead on a platform we've had more experience with and the iPad/tablet version won't be too far off anyway. We don't have the manpower to work on several platforms at the same time, so we had to pick one and stick with it.

Carl

 

Hi Carl, I figured that might be the case, did not realize you were such a small team. I must admit I don't know much about Marmalade, does it produce code that you then have to go in and 'adjust'. In my experience of other cross-platform SDKs that has been the case but things seem to have improved a lot.

Some extra questions for you then:

1. Does PC mean 'Windows' or OSX/Linux/Windows ?

2. Will iPad have system requirements on iOS (i.e. will it be iOS6 only ? )

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nomad_Carl said:

 Hi Velhart,

Thank you for your welcome!

You can email me if you like, at carl.jackson@nomadgames.co.uk although asking questions on here might be better so that everyone else can read them. But feel free to mail me whenever you like!

We are currently looking at soundtrack availability and there will be some news on this very soon!

Thanks,

Carl

Hello Carl,

 

That is good news!

I have another question: Is it possible to release expansion sets for Talisman Prologue, so we can update the base game.

For example the Reaper expansion, that can add 90 cards to the game, and a reaper NPC, that will move around the board.

The Computer can control the reaper this time instead of the player itself. ( because it's a single player game:)

Greetings,

Velhart

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0