Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rdobyns

Beta

7 posts in this topic

Sort of it's fine, sort of niether. As I get it, the Beginner is a finished (but abbreviated) product thet has rules compatible with the full game. It can be played stand-alone until you sorta run out of steam and then, assuming you like the game, you'll need to go big. The Beta is sorta the "big," but remember it's also basically a draft - not the ultimate finished product. There could be changes. The Starter is a safe bet for the short term, and will "train" you for the extended version; but yeah, there might be tweaks a little bit later. Anyway, nothng wrong with getting both.

If you can find a copy of the "beta" on ebay or your local game store you get on board and test out the rules.

If not, then you will just need to wait for the beginners box set and/or the final release sometime next year

If you have the beta book you don't NEED the beginner box. You just "need" to keep up with the weekly updates to make the modifications to your game. The beta book, from what I understand, is closer to the full game experience than the beginner box will be, which doesn't include character creation rules. If you're fluent in Star Wars you could almost certainly knock out a homebrew SW adventure with the rules in the beta book. The box will be useful for getting people who aren't used to tabletop RPG's into it and you get more stuff to use (maps, dice, quick start rules, pregen characters, etc).

On the topic of the Box 'n' Beta, I have not yet read the errata - just no time - but I'm wondering if the errata is sufficiently, eh, intrusive to change the rules in the Beginner's box as well. I wonder if the thing is printing now, or being held for revisions, etc. I don't suppose anyone has any idea?

IG-58 said:

On the topic of the Box 'n' Beta, I have not yet read the errata - just no time - but I'm wondering if the errata is sufficiently, eh, intrusive to change the rules in the Beginner's box as well. I wonder if the thing is printing now, or being held for revisions, etc. I don't suppose anyone has any idea?

If it's to be compatible with the full rules of EotE, it's not yet being printed. There are some vast changes to how things work from the print book to the most recent update.

That being said, all the chargen changes won't affect the printing, since they're all pregens anyway, and as long as not a one is Force-sensitive, that clears up that major overhaul. So really the biggest change besides those listed is the giant table of maneuvers/actions for starship crews, weapon qualities/costs, and the skill list being thinned by 1 skill thus far.

-EF