Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Grimbeard

Holy Vengeance/Forging the Bond/Ghostfire Pollen Extract

10 posts in this topic

Hi there,

I came upon a rule situation in one of my rounds as a GM. Two of my Marines (Black Templar & Blood Angel) possessing both the "Forging the Bond" Talent used the Holy Vengeance Squad Mode Ability (Black Templar) under the influence of the Ghostfire Pollen Extract with the following result:

My Blood Angel Assault Marine (Agility 50, three standard attacks due to talents etc) under the influence of Ghostfire Pollen Extract could attack per Standard attack and presuming he wouldn´t miss up to ten times (up to his Unnatural Agility x2  bonus of 10 while under the influence of the Ghostfire Pollen Extract) - is that right? I found it quiet disturbing to see my Master Level creature going down within seconds llorando.gif. Did I miss something or what?

regards

Take a look at the first paragraph under "Drugs and Consumables" under DW Core rulebook p172. Ghostfire pollen extract should do absolutely nothing for a space marine.

How exactly are you getting "three standard attacks"?

If you mean Lightning Attack, then that is an incorrect reading. Lightning Attack is used by a "Multiple Attacks Action," which is distinctly different from a Standard Attack Action. Specifically, Lightning Attack does not work for the purposes of the Black Templar Attack Pattern.

Hi guys,

thanks for the clarification on the drugs! Refering to the three standard attacks, I think I wasn´t clear enough - I meant Two-Weapon Wielder, Swift Attack an Lightning Attack i.e. 3 attacks with first hand weapon and 2 attacks with off hand weapon (as a full action)

regards

Decessor said:

Take a look at the first paragraph under "Drugs and Consumables" under DW Core rulebook p172. Ghostfire pollen extract should do absolutely nothing for a space marine.

Agreed, any way you look at it.

Drugs don't affect space marines.

or

Space Marines are too discaplined to use drugs.

Either way your player is not ROLE PLAYING his character. (Role playing being an important part of a role playing game.) He deserves significant censure from his commanders, a permanent loss of renown and/or a temporary loss of renown level for a period of time (years - equating to several missions). Perhaps some requisition loss before each mission (limit him to taking 10 or 20 req max and rest of his req is lost). Or the return of a relic he was entrusted with by the deathwatch or his chapter.

All for intentionally sullying his perfect form with dirty narcotics.

Grimbeard said:

Hi guys,

thanks for the clarification on the drugs! Refering to the three standard attacks, I think I wasn´t clear enough - I meant Two-Weapon Wielder, Swift Attack an Lightning Attack i.e. 3 attacks with first hand weapon and 2 attacks with off hand weapon (as a full action)

regards

Maybe I'm missing something, but where does he get the 2nd attack with his off hand?

Lighning Attack will give him 3 attacks with his primary weapon, and two weapon wielder will give him a bonus attack with his off hand weapon.  This would be a total of 4 attacks on a multiple attack action.

And as KommissarK point out, the Black Templar ability only works with a Standard Attack, not with a multiple attack action, which reduces it from ridiculous to powerful.

In regards to the original post concern about Masters dying quickly, Master Level enemies can go down in a big hurry- the Astartes carry big guns, specialized equipment, and can save up special once per night/day/mission abilities for the Master conflict and deal a ton of damage to your big nasty bad guy.  The trick I've found to make my masters more survivable is to play them like I would play a PC of that type.

herichimo said:

Decessor said:

Either way your player is not ROLE PLAYING his character. (Role playing being an important part of a role playing game.) He deserves significant censure from his commanders, a permanent loss of renown and/or a temporary loss of renown level for a period of time (years - equating to several missions). Perhaps some requisition loss before each mission (limit him to taking 10 or 20 req max and rest of his req is lost). Or the return of a relic he was entrusted with by the deathwatch or his chapter.

All for intentionally sullying his perfect form with dirty narcotics.

It sounds like the DM let the player get drugs without any mention of "BTW, space marines don't do this." It would be a bit low to punish the player for not knowing something that the DM didn't know either. I'd just tell them they can't get or use drugs in future, remind them that they're playing a warrior angel, and let it go.

Also, certain drugs have to be acceptable - Space Wolves are prone to drinking a lot of alcohol.

exseraph said:

Also, certain drugs have to be acceptable - Space Wolves are prone to drinking a lot of alcohol.

They are, but Space Wolves don't drink human beverages… their standard drink could stand in for aviation fuel and is likely to hollow out any human that tried to imbibe it.

N0-1_H3r3 said:

exseraph said:

They are, but Space Wolves don't drink human beverages… their standard drink could stand in for aviation fuel and is likely to hollow out any human that tried to imbibe it.

And booze isn't the same thing as magic steroids either.