Fett85

Tie fighter strategy

Picasso said:

It can be done but it is not easy.  If Wedge is on the board forget it.  It is easy pickings for him.

wedge would die on the 1st major exchange with all 8 TIEs focusing on him, unless you have Biggs or a nicer target eg. Luke + R2D2

Parakitor said:

Daveydavedave said:

Baphomet69 said:

Anyone tried a maxed swarm of 8 academy TIEs concentrating on one target at a time yet? Is that even a possible squad? Playing my first games later today.

I played against an 8 Tie swarm and got absolutely smoked.  I was playing Luke with the +1 agility droid, Wedge with marksman, R2D2 and Torps, and the basic gold squadron y-wing with torps, an astromech and the ion cannon.

Y-wing died first turn before shooting at all.

Luke took hits from all 8 ties like a boss, giving Wedge enough time to kill 2.  Then Luke died.  Wedge killed 1 or 2 more, I forget exactly how many were left at the end, but it was brutal.

3 beefed out alliance pilots vs the 8 tie swarm is rough for sure.  I'm already looking at 4 ship alliance builds with lots of rookie pilots to try and get more hit points and more guns on the table.  

Quantity has a quality all of its own in this game.

That DOES sound brutal. What formation did the 8 TIEs assume? Did they come at you en masse or did they split into to different fighter groups to scissor your forces? Or were they just free-for-all, line-up-a-shot-if-you-can kind of pilots? I'm just as interested in the ways people deploy their squads as I am in the ways they design them. Squad building is cool, and strongly influences game play, but the best line ups don't mean a thing without a good dogfighting strategy.

Well, I guess I'm tipping my hand here a bit, but i think i figured out a good way to play 8 TIES in my last game. Keep in mind that TIEs are fast and Xwings are slower. They can go Straight 1 and TIEs can't, and they can only koiogran after moving 4.

Assume you're playing against 4 Xwings, which have been proven to defeat 8 TIES in the past. I use 7 Academy Pilots and Dark Curse. So I have to set up first. i assume the Rebel player will split his squad into 2 Xwings on each side of the board, to try to get me to split my forces. I line up my 7 AP's in 2 waves, first wave of 4, then second wave of 3. Imagine a line down the middle of the board, I set up near that line, but totally on one side of it. Then DC will set up in the back row nearest the middle line. Go after the 2 Xwings on your half of the board.

First round, wave 1 goes 5 to try and engage. The best you're going to get is range 3, so you're rolling 4 defense dice, so I'm not too worried about losing TIEs round 1. Wave 2 only goes 2 or 3 and then barrel rolls, depending on how Rebel player set up. Round 2, first wave engages the 2 Xwings on that side. Depending on how that goes, second wave can either engage the same 2 or split and engage the other 2 coming from the other side of the board. If the original 2 xwings are still alive (which they should be), second wave deters them from koiogran turns against wave 1, as now wave 2 will be directly behind them if they do. Also, first wave can koiogran round 3 to keep the Xwings in line of fire in case they do go straight. Or they can do a 1 right turn to engage the other 2 Xwings coming from the other side of the board.

I haven't played this strategy yet. I just devised it last game, and then did some maneuvers to see if/how it would work, and I think it will. Maybe it won't, i dunno. But I do like the 2 waves strategy, with 2nd wave going slower to deter koiograns. It cuts down the xwing maneuvers, while still keeping many TIEs in the fight.

Once you get over the learning curve with the Imps, the game is balanced. I won my first “Real” game with the Imps. (By “Real” I only lost two Academy pilots.) I went up against a fully loaded Luke, Wedge, and rookie pilot; I focused everything on Luke and R2 right away. I also scored four hits with my concussion missile on the opening round, this helped SO much.
I agree that if Wedge is the only named pilot against eight Academy pilots you should focus everything on him till he is dead. I tried this and lost three pilots to ridiculous rolling in the first round. I didn’t have enough ties left to get Wedge in the first round. I should revisit this strategy again.
I’m thinking of starting to play imps with two Tie Advanced on the table. Has anyone tried this yet?

Picasso

I've actually had an easier time with TIEs than X-Wings so far. Close with the rebels and abuse your 1-distance sharp turns, barrel rolls, and evades. Definitely need to prioritise targets well. I'd generally recommend to go for the least durable target first just to tip the quantity of ships further in your favor. And, yeah, you're faster than they are and you generally outnumber them, so play to those and play to maintain them.

Picasso said:

I’m thinking of starting to play imps with two Tie Advanced on the table. Has anyone tried this yet?

Picasso

I've played several games with Vader and Stele, as well as against  Vader and Stele. They've never won. I'm not saying it's not possible, but I have yet to see them triumph. But I will say that of all the projectiles so far Concussion Missiles are my favorite. I wouldn't mind trying a squadron of 4 TIE Advanced loaded out with Concussion Missiles…I would mind paying the money for it however…serio.gif

One of our Imperial guys plays 7 Academy Pilots and Dark Curse at 100 points, and that is an absolute monster of a list.  For starters, it puts the Rebel player at a minimum 2-1 disadvantage (OK, he could take 5x Gold Squadron, but who would do that?).  It's all about controlling your swarm and massing firepower, and the unholy power of the Evade action.

Over here swarm builds are laughed at and really suck very horribly, with a straight 0 win record by whoever even thinks about trying it out. Then again, we are playing with 2-3 core sets worth of obstacles in a 3x3 play area, so TIEs really drop like flies. I've had so many games where I'd have at least 1 TIE die purely from damage caused by colliding with obstacles and you don't have much of a choice of not flying through them, especially when hunting down luke skywalker with R2D2 at range 3 with a rock in between. Yes, Rebels have a lot of advantage in such a cluttered battlefield, but the TIEadv easily balances the playing field in your favour, thus making 4-6 ship builds more viable actually. 

without any obstacles though, the imperial swarm isn't exactly too strong either, again with a straight 0 win for any 8 ship builds. Rebel players tend to keep all 3 ships close together and punch through the center of the TIE swarm, taking 1-2 TIEs along in that single blow. the TIEs with only 2 attack dice are unable to take out a ship as early as them, managing a Xwing by turn 3 at best under normal circumstances. By then, you are already down to 6 TIEs which are divided into two distinct halves across the map, and the Ywing with its ion cannons will hinder any attempts to bring both groups back together. After more exchanges, it is down to whether you could get it to 3 TIEs vs his last Xwing that has R2D2 on, and if you are down to 2 TIEs when he has only 1 ship left, it's nearly a lost cause already, and if you are down to 1v1, you may declare surrender as we've proven mathematically that there is no way a single TIE can take down a Xwing with R2D2. 

7 ship builds tend to fare slightly better because of the added supportive effects, eg. howlrunner, or that certain key targets (eg. darth vader, mauler) lowers the chances of your opponent just punching through your line as he tries to go for them instead. Still, the moment the 3 ships decide to split up, the game could swing either way depending on how you want to chase after them and the dice rolls.

4 ship builds for the rebels are fairing rather poorly though, which is rather surprising. The lack of points for proper upgrades and pilot effects really make it a lot easier for the ships to be taken down, especially when they are pretty much alone and they have no effects to do combos with.

Very interesting writeup Duraham.  Our regional meta is a quirky - team games of 50-100 points each player on a 4x6 table with moderate asteroids is more or less the norm, though I really need some 1 on 1 games to figure out where I'm going wrong (I play Rebels).

Parakitor said:

Picasso said:

Picasso

I've played several games with Vader and Stele, as well as against  Vader and Stele. They've never won. I'm not saying it's not possible, but I have yet to see them triumph. But I will say that of all the projectiles so far Concussion Missiles are my favorite. I wouldn't mind trying a squadron of 4 TIE Advanced loaded out with Concussion Missiles…I would mind paying the money for it however…serio.gif

4 TIE Advanced all armed with Concussion Missiles would be interesting to see. I hope you do eventually try this out and tell us how it works.

But I agree with you, It does put a pinch on the wallet.  Im Pretty sure I droped in 40 bucks  in preping for the Kessel run tourny.  But Im serious Im curious about how well the 4 TIE Advanced will work out.

I've played exactly 4 games as of this writing.  All were Darth Vader, Mauler Mithel, and Dark Curse and for the Kessel Run I had to add a Luke Skywalker X-Wing to get to 100 points.

My first game was against my son - and we stumbled through the rules.  He used 2 X-Wings and my 3 TIE's just outmaneuvered him.

My first game of the Kessel Run was against an equally new player (his second game ever, too).  The TIE Fighters' mobility prevented the 2 Y-Wings from Ion-ing them more than once.  Lots of Shields were removed but in the end, we tied - blowing up nothing.

The next game was against a similar team - with 2 X-Wings and 2 TIE Fighters.  The player had just bought his starter but managed to win his first game.  Here, maneuvering was key.  Wedge peeled off a Shield on an Asteroid and my 3 TIE's blasted Wedge to space dust.  Luke hunted on of his TIE's down and I won after time was called.

The third game was against an undefeated experienced player.  Again the TIE's mobility was key as I relyed heavily on the Evades.  I did lose Vader and Mauler due to be boxed in the center with his entire 3 X-Wing and 1 Y-Wing team, but since I sent Dark Curse and Luke wide around the debris they came in with guns blazing to smoke what was left.  Again, evading helped keep the Ion Cannon in check (until Dark Curse got the critical to knock it out :) ).

I haven't played many games, obviously, but placement and positioning is a strength of mine from many other games.  TIE's need to fight battles on their terms and not try and fight like an X-Wing.  I like Vader with the Squad Leader card as it allows him to shuttle off his extra action to a nearby friend when needed - which combines nicely when a TIE needs to evade (give him a focus) or Barrel Roll (give either an evade or focus).

My son will be using the A-Wing against me next time we play.  I'll be curious to see how the TIE's match-up for now…

My Kessel Run list was

Vader

-Squad Leader

- Concussion Missile

Back Stabber

Dark Curse

Mithil Mauler

Howlrunner

First game I played against Imps can't exactly remember the list he played but he had Vader, another tie advanced and two basic tie fighters, ended up tabling him in 6 turns, took 1 point of damage the entire game, but he was a pretty new player

Second game played against Imps, had Vader, another tie advanced and 2 tie fighters, ended up coming down to my backstabber vs his 2 pilot skills tie advanced, we ended up timing out and ended it a marginal loss

Third game finally faced Rebels, Luke, Wedge and a Y wing, ended up tabling him in about 5 turns, will admit my dice was hot most of the day,

Fourth game I played another rebel list, Luke, Biggs and Wedge with swarm tactics, Guy won a Kessel Run tournament the other day with the list he ran, Dice was hot again but ended up tabling him in 8 turns, only lost Howlrunner. Ended up taking 3rd do to tie breaking stuff. I find that when the rebels run less than 4 ships they are at a severe disadvantage if they can't take down 1 or 2 ties during the first turn of fire. You just need to know how to move and utilize barrel rolling for max effect.

Baphomet69 said:

Anyone tried a maxed swarm of 8 academy TIEs concentrating on one target at a time yet? Is that even a possible squad? Playing my first games later today.

Actually you can run 4 Academy and 4 Obsidian TIE's for an even 100 points.

zathras23 said:

Actually you can run 4 Academy and 4 Obsidian TIE's for an even 100 points.

or, in a similar vein, you can run 3 OSPs and 5 APs for 99 points to grab initiative

Or, possibly even better, run 7 APs and Backstabber  for 100 even

tyrostar said:

I've played exactly 4 games as of this writing.  All were Darth Vader, Mauler Mithel, and Dark Curse and for the Kessel Run I had to add a Luke Skywalker X-Wing to get to 100 points.

Whatever TO allowed a mixed squad like this was badly mistaken. The rules clearly state that you must choose a faction. Mixed squads are not allowed.

hothie said:

Parakitor said:

Daveydavedave said:

Baphomet69 said:

I played against an 8 Tie swarm and got absolutely smoked.  I was playing Luke with the +1 agility droid, Wedge with marksman, R2D2 and Torps, and the basic gold squadron y-wing with torps, an astromech and the ion cannon.

Y-wing died first turn before shooting at all.

Luke took hits from all 8 ties like a boss, giving Wedge enough time to kill 2.  Then Luke died.  Wedge killed 1 or 2 more, I forget exactly how many were left at the end, but it was brutal.

3 beefed out alliance pilots vs the 8 tie swarm is rough for sure.  I'm already looking at 4 ship alliance builds with lots of rookie pilots to try and get more hit points and more guns on the table.  

Quantity has a quality all of its own in this game.

That DOES sound brutal. What formation did the 8 TIEs assume? Did they come at you en masse or did they split into to different fighter groups to scissor your forces? Or were they just free-for-all, line-up-a-shot-if-you-can kind of pilots? I'm just as interested in the ways people deploy their squads as I am in the ways they design them. Squad building is cool, and strongly influences game play, but the best line ups don't mean a thing without a good dogfighting strategy.

Well, I guess I'm tipping my hand here a bit, but i think i figured out a good way to play 8 TIES in my last game. Keep in mind that TIEs are fast and Xwings are slower. They can go Straight 1 and TIEs can't, and they can only koiogran after moving 4.

Assume you're playing against 4 Xwings, which have been proven to defeat 8 TIES in the past. I use 7 Academy Pilots and Dark Curse. So I have to set up first. i assume the Rebel player will split his squad into 2 Xwings on each side of the board, to try to get me to split my forces. I line up my 7 AP's in 2 waves, first wave of 4, then second wave of 3. Imagine a line down the middle of the board, I set up near that line, but totally on one side of it. Then DC will set up in the back row nearest the middle line. Go after the 2 Xwings on your half of the board.

First round, wave 1 goes 5 to try and engage. The best you're going to get is range 3, so you're rolling 4 defense dice, so I'm not too worried about losing TIEs round 1. Wave 2 only goes 2 or 3 and then barrel rolls, depending on how Rebel player set up. Round 2, first wave engages the 2 Xwings on that side. Depending on how that goes, second wave can either engage the same 2 or split and engage the other 2 coming from the other side of the board. If the original 2 xwings are still alive (which they should be), second wave deters them from koiogran turns against wave 1, as now wave 2 will be directly behind them if they do. Also, first wave can koiogran round 3 to keep the Xwings in line of fire in case they do go straight. Or they can do a 1 right turn to engage the other 2 Xwings coming from the other side of the board.

I haven't played this strategy yet. I just devised it last game, and then did some maneuvers to see if/how it would work, and I think it will. Maybe it won't, i dunno. But I do like the 2 waves strategy, with 2nd wave going slower to deter koiograns. It cuts down the xwing maneuvers, while still keeping many TIEs in the fight.

If my opponent sets up as close as he can to me , I go slow, then I gun the engine fast. I hate range 3 becuase he has the adavantage of proton torpedoes (though they are an iffy hit or not, 4 shots against my 3 agility, compared to 2 shots against his 3 agility  (he has the advantage on both grounds)

should just go in fast, then koiogran the forward line and have the behind line do the slowest speed they can do. this immediately setups a killzone from which he either enters and gets shot at by everybody, or he collides with either line and loses his actions and have half your ships shooting at him (and if you are lucky, he can't shoot back either), or he veers off to the sides and cannot shoot anything, and although you cant shoot him either, on your next turn you can turn in and have everybody chase him down while there is no good maneuver he can do to get out of that situation too

there is a new missile called the assault missile I believe and if it hits it does its normal damage and then any ship within range band 1 of that ship takes a damage roll as well

jester84 said:

there is a new missile called the assault missile I believe and if it hits it does its normal damage and then any ship within range band 1 of that ship takes a damage roll as well

no everyone within 1 range gets 1 damage. no rolling at all

Torresse said:

jester84 said:

no everyone within 1 range gets 1 damage. no rolling at all

wasn't exactly sure, but it will change things

Duraham said:

Over here swarm builds are laughed at and really suck very horribly, with a straight 0 win record by whoever even thinks about trying it out. Then again, we are playing with 2-3 core sets worth of obstacles in a 3x3 play area, so TIEs really drop like flies.

No one cares about non-standard rules. Anyone can come up with a set of rules that screws over a play style, that's not impressive in the slightest.