Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Toqtamish

Genesis Data Pack Cycle

42 posts in this topic

I wonder when we're going to see identities that aren't 45/15? I can imagine play–testing them for balance in an environment where everyone else is at those numbers as a potential difficulty, however.

So if we're going to be doing 3x20 then it stands to reason that in any data pack that gives us a new runner or corp identity, that data pack would be giving us 3 identity cards for three different factions.

Wouldn't mind seeing deluxe expansions be FFG's way of giving us a new faction.

exactly.. i thnk taht is a major mistake.. we should see new corp identity cards but it seams that the way they have designed the game will mean it will be hard for new corps identities to be added.

i dont think its a big deal. the factions/identities we have are good enough. if anything else id like to see many of the more underrepresented styles (trace, whatever the heck Haas is supposed to do) be more fully featured and usable. NBN needs more win conditions IN HOUSE like psychographics or a cheaper alternative to  just slapping in 8-12 points of Scorched Earth (maybe something that does 2 or 3 damage if traced idk) so it can be more playable.

either way, id like the current faction strategies fleshed out ALOT MORE before we start adding entirely new ones. maybe after genesis?

booored said:

exactly.. i thnk taht is a major mistake.. we should see new corp identity cards but it seams that the way they have designed the game will mean it will be hard for new corps identities to be added.

It might be best to at least wait until the first data packs start coming out before calling  any of the developers moves "major mistakes". 

impaulm said:

booored said:

It might be best to at least wait until the first data packs start coming out before calling  any of the developers moves "major mistakes". 

everything on a forum is speculation… but that is how it is looking..

Corporations have a variety of divisions.  For example, Symantec has customer facing anti-spam and security software, but they have other interests including military contracts.  And how about Dow Chemical?  Let's not even go there… 

I can see Corps diversifying as much as Runners.

Speaking as an Anarchist player I am not loving the new guy as a concept.  What I am hoping for are some additional killer viruses to make more Noise!

It would also be nice to have some bioroids that are not so easy to just click off…

Looking at the splayed cards in the middle:

Project Beale:

Rez: 3
Agenda: Score 1

When you score Project Beale, place 1 agenda counter on it for every 2 advancement tokens on it over 3.
Project Beale is worth 1 additional agenda point for each agenda counter on it.

This sounds similar to World Domination in implementation - WD gave extra agenda points when you scored it (but didn't cost extra for those points), but only gave the runner the base number of points. PB looks like it's good for faking out the runner - that unrezzed card with 5 advancement tokens on it, is it Project Junebug (taken as an OOF card), or is it Project Beale? Now the runner has to think a little harder.

Ourobouros (spelling may be incorrect) looks like it extends the Trace mechanism - I can't tell the values, but one trace prevents the runner from running again that turn, the second one ends the turn. So, break the trace subroutines, or let them activate and wiggle out of them?

Ash 2X3ZB9CY does something similar as an upgrade, but I can't see the text well enough. It prevents access to something related if the trace is successful.

Creeper looks like it has a variable memory cost based on the base link strength, but again, I can't see the text properly because it's hidden behind another card.

Looks interesting (to me) as a Classic Netrunner player - taking the game in both a new direction, while also taking inspiration from the original.

sinnerfold said:

So if we're going to be doing 3x20 then it stands to reason that in any data pack that gives us a new runner or corp identity, that data pack would be giving us 3 identity cards for three different factions.

It's a bit odd because the preview article says it includes a new identitiy for each of the factions. That's a total of seven cards, leaving two card slots for something else…

Scautura said:

Project Beale:

Rez: 3
Agenda: Score 1

When you score Project Beale, place 1 agenda counter on it for every 2 advancement tokens on it over 3.
Project Beale is worth 1 additional agenda point for each agenda counter on it.

This sounds similar to World Domination in implementation - WD gave extra agenda points when you scored it (but didn't cost extra for those points), but only gave the runner the base number of points. PB looks like it's good for faking out the runner - that unrezzed card with 5 advancement tokens on it, is it Project Junebug (taken as an OOF card), or is it Project Beale? Now the runner has to think a little harder.

___

I hate the way these forums work…

As pointed out somewhere else, Project Beale == Project Babylon, not World Domination - I never had one of those, so it wasn't top of my memory.

booored said:

You are confusing identity with factions. We already know we are getting new identities, we have seen one already for Anarch in this thread that I posted at the start. New factions is what I was referring to and we probably won't see those till a deluxe expansion if at all. We already have 7 factions to flesh out. I don't see the need for new factions so soon for either side of things.

jhaelen said:

sinnerfold said:

It's a bit odd because the preview article says it includes a new identitiy for each of the factions. That's a total of seven cards, leaving two card slots for something else…

A new identity for each faction does not mean we will see them all in one pack. We might but too early to say either way, might be one in each of the 6 packs and then one pack comes with two of them to make it 7. Also each expansion cycle is 120 distinct cards. Really not sure how you get that means there is two slots left for something else. Even if all seven new identities come in the first pack that still leaves 13 cards in that pack.

I think he simply means that there is no point in providing three copies of each identity card in an expansion. Assuming they recognise this (and the format of the core set suggests that they do), they will only put in one copy of each new identity card, which leaves unused slots in each 60 card expansion. These slots cannot be filled by non-identity cards because they have said that all other cards will come in threes. The most effective way to deal with this would be to put three singleton identity cards together in a single expansion, with 19 other cards appearing three times.

However, if each faction is getting a new identity, that is at least seven identities. Assuming they follow the obvious pattern I suggested, it means that there are two unused singleton spaces that cannot be used for non-identity cards. I therefore assume that some factions will be getting more than one additional identity.

Silent Requiem said:

I think he simply means that there is no point in providing three copies of each identity card in an expansion. Assuming they recognise this (and the format of the core set suggests that they do), they will only put in one copy of each new identity card, which leaves unused slots in each 60 card expansion. These slots cannot be filled by non-identity cards because they have said that all other cards will come in threes. The most effective way to deal with this would be to put three singleton identity cards together in a single expansion, with 19 other cards appearing three times.

However, if each faction is getting a new identity, that is at least seven identities. Assuming they follow the obvious pattern I suggested, it means that there are two unused singleton spaces that cannot be used for non-identity cards. I therefore assume that some factions will be getting more than one additional identity.

If you read my original statement it very clearly states that they wouldn't be including 3 copies of a single identity but three identity cards for three different factions. That doesn't mean we're going to get 9 cards. It means 3 cards….total.

Toqtamish said:

booored said:

You are confusing identity with factions. We already know we are getting new identities, we have seen one already for Anarch in this thread that I posted at the start. New factions is what I was referring to and we probably won't see those till a deluxe expansion if at all. We already have 7 factions to flesh out. I don't see the need for new factions so soon for either side of things.

yeah.. but what i was trying to say is that it is easy for new identities to be added to the runners.. (example this new pack coming out) but very hard for new corporations to be added, and even if they are adding whole new corporations in major expansions as new factions.. they can not be adding many or it will dilute the card pool of the individual packs.. I assume we are already only getting 2 an avg for each faction per pack.

So the general thoughts are we will see "divisions" of the corps we have already seen. As this is the only way they can easily introduce new identities for the corporations.Like Wayland : Space Exploration Division or something like that.

I stand by what I said originally.. if the corp cards were not faction based but utility based.. and generic.. like instead of mass-bioroid being a faction and all those cards in that faction, the cards were just all themed on cyborgs and stuff, then they could realise as many single card identity for cyborg type companies that use those same cards.. just as the new orange runner used the anarch cards. I just feel the great addition of identities is very cool, and will keep runner decks feelign fresh and fun.. but we are stuck with these 4 corporations for eternity.

booored said:

I stand by what I said originally.. if the corp cards were not faction based but utility based.. and generic.. like instead of mass-bioroid being a faction and all those cards in that faction, the cards were just all themed on cyborgs and stuff, then they could realise as many single card identity for cyborg type companies that use those same cards.. just as the new orange runner used the anarch cards. I just feel the great addition of identities is very cool, and will keep runner decks feelign fresh and fun.. but we are stuck with these 4 corporations for eternity.

Wow. You made that sound gloomy, real quick. 

I personally can't wait to see what they'll release for this game, be it 60 card packs or deluxe expansions. 

I really can't wait to see what's in the first data pack, should be interesting to see what sort of new decks emerge. Whizzard seems to represent the more destructive elements of the Anarchs, just blowing stuff up rather than using viruses.