Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
El_Tonio

How Much Stuff Are You Getting?

62 posts in this topic

After reading all the cards very carefully, I called today to revise my order slightly.

I'm now getting 3 starters, 1 X-Wing, 1 TIE, 2 Y-Wing, 2 TIE Advanced

That will be:

4 X-Wing (same as before)

7 TIE (one more than before)

2 Y-Wing (same as before)

2 TIE Advanced (same as before)

If the R5  (from the X-Wing expansion) ends up being very good, I will order another X-Wing Expansion. Though with only 6 rebel ships and 7 astromechs to chose from (not counting doubles of uniques), I'm hoping I'll be all set.

This will hopefully give me lots of options until the next expansions are released.  And, this way I got one more TIE for only $5 more (plus more Dice, templates, tokens, etc.)

Jeez, you guys are making me feel casual.

I'm just going with two starters for now. Will probably supplement my collection with a Y-Wing and TIE Advanced next.

If I am seeing this correctly every expansion pack gives you 4 pilot cards. Making the idea of buying more starter sets even more cost effective. Turning those rookie pilots into something greater.  It is a cleaver marketing idea to do that with the expansions.

Like the rest of you, in the long run I think I will end up buying 2 starter sets and at least 1 of each expansion to get me going. This at least would allow me to field one of each level of tie fighter pilots. Plus give me a wider range of pilots for the x-wings.

I can see y-wings being the bane for any imperial player, even with out the ion cannon. To have that many points flying around, could make the difference in a modified match win.

AncientAngel said:

If I am seeing this correctly every expansion pack gives you 4 pilot cards. Making the idea of buying more starter sets even more cost effective. Turning those rookie pilots into something greater.  It is a cleaver marketing idea to do that with the expansions.

Like the rest of you, in the long run I think I will end up buying 2 starter sets and at least 1 of each expansion to get me going. This at least would allow me to field one of each level of tie fighter pilots. Plus give me a wider range of pilots for the x-wings.

I can see y-wings being the bane for any imperial player, even with out the ion cannon. To have that many points flying around, could make the difference in a modified match win.

Each ship model comes with a full set of the generic pilots and all secondary weapons that are available to them.  Then each expansion comes with a selection of unique pilots that are specific to each expansion (2 for all but the TIE which comes with 3).  They also come with at least a couple upgrade cards, some unique, some not so much.  The rebel expansions have a unique and common Droid upgrade each and a skill or two.  TIE's include multiple skill upgrades since that's the only type of upgrade they can take.  Swarm Tactics and Squad Leader seem to be the unique ones that come with the TIE and/or TIE Advanced.

I'm going to get 2 Starters and 1 each of the expansions for my first order so I'll have a complete selection of options.  But I'll probably grab another Starter and maybe one or two more Y's, TIE's and T-Advanced.

As for Y's being such a big problem for Imps…  The high hull and shield values are going to be heavily countered by the Y's single agility die.  It'll be easier for TIE's to inflict damage so it will probably even out in the end.  It's going to be all about swarming and getting those extra dice through skills and close range.  I think a big part of the game will be about using your whole squadron to win the game.  A single Y, is going to have trouble taking on an equal point value of Imps.  The Ion Cannon may be powerful, but it won't kill anything quickly enough on it's own to keep from getting chewed up if you're taking on multiple targets.  But with a couple wingmen, a Y-Wing becomes a heck of a lot more dangerous.  Using Y's to set up targets for X's sounds like a tactic I intend on using a lot.

-DavicusPrime

2 Core Sets to get extra play aids (dice, templates, actions markers, etc), 2 TIE Expansions, 2 Y-Wing Expansions, 2 X-Wing Expansions, 1 TIE Advanced (wish I had order 2 now).

Totals:

4  X-Wings

2  Y-Wings

6  TIE

1  TIE Advanced

rhaak said:

2 x base game
2 x X-Wing expansion
4 x TIE-Fighter expansion
4 x Y-Wing expansion
4 x TIE-Advanced x1 expansion

Gives me a total of:

--------Rebels---------------
4 x X-Wing
4 x Y-Wing 
--------Empire---------------
8 x TIE-Fighter 
4 x TIE-Advanced x1

I changed my order:

4 x base game
2 x X-Wing expansion
4 x TIE-Fighter expansion
4 x Y-Wing expansion
4 x TIE-Advanced x1 expansion

Gives me a total of:

--------Rebels---------------
6 x X-Wing
4 x Y-Wing
--------Empire---------------
12 x TIE-Fighter
4 x TIE-Advanced x1

I'm beginning to find that I need to get a third Core set just to be able to get an all TIE 100pt Imp list.  It's turned out to be impossible to fill out 100pts with the 5 TIE's I already have on order.  The highest point Pilots for TIEs only run about 20pts with a skill upgrade and there are only 2 named pilots that are that high in value.  So filling out 100pts with only 5 TIEs isn't possible.  I will have to use the Tie Advanced in all my lists until I acquire more TIEs.

-DavicusPrime

DavicusPrime said:

I'm beginning to find that I need to get a third Core set just to be able to get an all TIE 100pt Imp list.  It's turned out to be impossible to fill out 100pts with the 5 TIE's I already have on order.  The highest point Pilots for TIEs only run about 20pts with a skill upgrade and there are only 2 named pilots that are that high in value.  So filling out 100pts with only 5 TIEs isn't possible.  I will have to use the Tie Advanced in all my lists until I acquire more TIEs.

-DavicusPrime

I was considering this too, but I'm not sure if I'm going to want to run an all tie swarm.  I'll have 5 ties and and advanced, which will hopefully tide me over for now.  (although I'm afraid if I wait I won't be able to find it when I really do want it).

tiepilot1138 said:

I was considering this too, but I'm not sure if I'm going to want to run an all tie swarm.  I'll have 5 ties and and advanced, which will hopefully tide me over for now.  (although I'm afraid if I wait I won't be able to find it when I really do want it).

My desire was to be able to put lots of different combos of ships on the table at 100pts.  I thought 5 TIEs would be enough to get me by if I didn't want to put the Advanced on the table as well, but the point values of TIEs just don't go high enough to make that possible.  In the end it just means that I'll have to put the TIE Advanced in every list until I scrounge up the cash to pick up at least one more TIE Expansion or grab a third Boxed set.  I was already planning to pick up another Y and TIE advanced in my second round of ordering, now it looks like I'll just have to pick up a second TIE and X-Wing too.  Such a hardship. gui%C3%B1o.gif

-DavicusPrime

You know there are most likely people on this board that would be willing to buy an X-wing from the starter with a few cards. Hell I might be interested further down the road. Anyways I know with my set up I am leaning on fielding 2 Tie Advanced & 3 Tie fighters.

Once the next wave of ships comes out, all my TIE fighter problems will go away as I buy at least 4 Interceptors (I love me some Interceptors).  But until then I'm just going to need a 6th TIE.  I'm wondering if the unique cards that come with the expansions (Ties and X's) are worth getting a second copy of each or is getting the 7th TIE that I'd get with a third Starter better than missing out on making some Skill and droid cards less rare for myself.

As I'm collecting both sides, the 4th X-Wing is no hardship for me either way.  But again, having more skill cards available to both sides during squad building has some utility for me. 

As far as second wave goes, other than a bunch of Interceptors I'll be buying a pair of A-Wings as soon as those come out too.  The Millenium Falcon and Slave-1 are must haves as well.  But I only ever plan on getting a single copy of each of those ships.

-DavicusPrime