Sign in to follow this  
TRA852

Alien Campaigns

I'm sure our group isn't the only one to try this, but has anyone else out there tried playing a campaign using only an alien race for characters. Our group used the rules for Ork characters to play an Ork freebooter campaign as a change of pace. It was a lot of nihilistic fun as the group travelled around the expanse looking for fights and looting opportunities. Most characters got to about 5th or 6th level before everyone died in an epic fight aboard an Imperial cruiser that the group rammed with their own ship. As I said, it was more of a fun, light-hearted game played for a change of pace.

Now that the rules for Dark Eldar characters are out, our group is pretty keen to have a go at playing a pillaging group of these aliens. It might turn out a bit darker than playing Orks though (pun intended).

I'd be interested to hear if other groups have done anything similar and how it turned out.  Any suggestions for making a better game are more than welcome.

Cheers,

LT

I've heard stories about a group of orks masquerading as Deathwatch marines 'becoz dey gets inta da crumpiest fights', and I've had some fun running games where the players are gretchin, trying to please their Ork warlords. It tends to be a ridiculous Paranoia-style cavalcade of death and destruction, as the PCs have understudy gretchin they can be if they kill one another or get eaten by squigs.

The Dark Heresy supplement The Radical's Handbook makes a brief mention of 'The Cortax', an army of alien mercenaries frequently hired by the rich and unscrupulous in the Calixis Sector. I may be wrong, it's my take on it that it is made up of members of various alien races; if so, that could be a cool hook for an all-alien game: the xeno PCs are one of the Cortax' elite mixed-race commando squads, sent on missions to wreck havoc on the Imperium- kind of like Ordo Xenos Dark Heresy in reverse… Needs a few more xeno-types, though- Sslyth? Hrud? Some of the Calixis-specific xenos mentioned in the alien equipment section of Radical's Handbook?

Rather than a steady stream of new stand-alone games, I would rather see stuff like this- 'games-within-a-game', sort of like the way the supplement Daemon Hunter included rules for playing an all-Grey Knights campaign, using either Dark Heresy or Deathwatch as the rules engine.