Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
TorogTarkdacil812

The Dark Kin Online Supplement

Recommended Posts

I like it, but there was one thing that threw me off a bit.

Why do Wyches only get Swift Attack at Rank 4? Seems like something they should get earlier.

Great stuff otherwise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First: Wheeeeeeee!!!! Awesome!

 

And secondly: only if he gets the jump back surgically attached to him.

 

The Skyterror is the greatest thing since The Soul Reaver itself (still waiting on it >.>). It's going to be absolutely perfect for my character. One of the heirs apparent to the Terror Wind Kabal, an army of speed freaks who were originally a Clan of corsairs from Saim-Hann.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think that Trueborn (as a social class) really exist outside of the Kabals.

I do wonder whether the Incubus Initiate being able to use Murderous Onslaught to make a Swift Attack but not a Lighting Attack is intentional or accidental?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I have a problem with the PDFs and I dont know if it general or only me. The squares with the initial skills/talents of the wych and the new skills/talents it appears me on a gray colour that it is uneasy to read.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm honestly amazed that there was such a demand for playable Dark Eldar so I just have to ask: How do you integrate into a regular party a self-centered, violent and homicidal psychopath with nothing close of a moral compass and that considers everything that isn't himself as fundamentally inferior? This is a member of a race, mind you, that considers knifing you in the back a perfectly acceptable form of greeting and which needs a steaming cup of freshly squeezed agony to work in the mornings.

It might just be me, but I find that having a free-roaming Dark Eldar on board would be as beneficial to the crew as a malfunctioning Gellar Field.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JuankiMan said:

How do you integrate into a regular party a self-centered, violent and homicidal psychopath with nothing close of a moral compass and that considers everything that isn't himself as fundamentally inferior?

This question could be asked about PCs of all types.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JuankiMan said:

… a self-centered, violent and homicidal psychopath with nothing close of a moral compass and that considers everything that isn't himself as fundamentally inferior? 

That sounds like one half of all pen and paper rpg PLAYERS I know, so it wouldn´t be that big of a problempartido_risa.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TorogTarkdacil812 said:

That sounds like one half of all pen and paper rpg PLAYERS I know, so it wouldn´t be that big of a problempartido_risa.gif

 

 

When a player character behaves like such a backstabbing homicidal maniac the rest of the group tends to put him down like the rabid animal he is with a couple of bolt rounds to the back of the head. I just don't see how could this not be the fate of every single DE character ever made unless the rest of the group was just as insane as he is.

Also, from the DE's perspective, being part of a Rogue Trader crew would be akin to the indignity of taking orders from a particularly well-dressed chimp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JuankiMan said:

When a player character behaves like such a backstabbing homicidal maniac the rest of the group tends to put him down like the rabid animal he is with a couple of bolt rounds to the back of the head. I just don't see how could this not be the fate of every single DE character ever made unless the rest of the group was just as insane as he is.

Perhaps by not limiting yourself to straw-man stereotypes…

The Dark Eldar, at the heart of it, are a mercenary breed. Their entire culture revolves around self-serving motives and cruel ambition. But they're also an extremely cunning and patient people… and the combination of greed, cunning and patience makes for both a very dangerous enemy and a powerful potential ally.

The driving force behind any and all Dark Eldar player characters should always be "what do I get out of this"… a motivation that is not a million miles away from that of the average Rogue Trader, it should be remembered. Yes, it's a creature that is metaphysically addicted to the pain and terror of other creatures… but that doesn't mean it'll stab everyone in the back for no reason at a moment's notice… it's too smart for that. That Dark Eldar has hired itself out to the service of another because it gains something - whether in the short term or the long term - by doing so, and murdering your employers on a whim is likely to jeopardise that gain. In Dark Eldar society, the only time you murder someone is when the benefits of doing so outweigh the reprisals, complications or other consequences of the act…

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spook said:

So no Trueborn Wyches? Or is that just an omission?

As I understand, all Trueborn does is make your Fellowship cheaper to buy up? (hopefully next wednesday for my book). Depending on what Kabalites pay for it (I was assuming 500, for no real reason, but I suppose it'd be 250 like the Wych?).

I dunno, I'm trying to parse out in my head now whether Fellowship would be a major part of a Wych. Being 'pretty' is part of their schtik, but they're not exactly known for being charismatic, and someone's force of personality (and being manipulative) lends more to the stat than physical appearance ever does. So they don't necessarily need it. On the otherhand, it's breeding not anything else, that determines it anyway, so why not?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

N0-1_H3r3 said:

 

 

Perhaps by not limiting yourself to straw-man stereotypes…

The Dark Eldar, at the heart of it, are a mercenary breed. Their entire culture revolves around self-serving motives and cruel ambition. But they're also an extremely cunning and patient people… and the combination of greed, cunning and patience makes for both a very dangerous enemy and a powerful potential ally.

The driving force behind any and all Dark Eldar player characters should always be "what do I get out of this"… a motivation that is not a million miles away from that of the average Rogue Trader, it should be remembered. Yes, it's a creature that is metaphysically addicted to the pain and terror of other creatures… but that doesn't mean it'll stab everyone in the back for no reason at a moment's notice… it's too smart for that. That Dark Eldar has hired itself out to the service of another because it gains something - whether in the short term or the long term - by doing so, and murdering your employers on a whim is likely to jeopardise that gain. In Dark Eldar society, the only time you murder someone is when the benefits of doing so outweigh the reprisals, complications or other consequences of the act…

 

 

Yes, and that is precisely the thing. Eldar cannot be trusted, and Dark Eldar are a million times worse. Loyalty is an absolutely alien concept to them and every Rogue Trader worth his salt knows it. I can easily see what the DE get's out of the deal, but what baffles me is what the Rogue Trader's side is. It's like welcoming aboard a walking time bomb. It'll obey as long as it serves its purposes but it is impossible to foretell how long it will be so, and the xenos will likely hand over his resignation slip at the end of a poisoned blade if it thinks he can get away with it. And I'm sure the crew will be delighted to have an easily bored torture specialist that literally needs to inflict pain or starve running around the ship during long weeks of warp travel.

Also, I do believe that associating with the Dark Eldar is a capital offense even to the bearer of a Writ of Trade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JuankiMan said:

I can easily see what the DE get's out of the deal, but what baffles me is what the Rogue Trader's side is.

Same as with any Xenos mercenary - the lure of the exotic, and the benefit of having those not bound by Imperial dogma. Plus, particularly when dealing with the more intelligent Xenos species, they tend to have knowledge and access to technology that is nigh-impossible for humans to obtain in other ways.

Fundamentally, it's an exotic form of mercenary - you hire them to do nasty things to other people. Sometimes you'll make do with a dozen or so hired guns from Footfall… sometimes you want the brute muscle of an Ork freebooter (a creature which lives for violence, and typically doesn't have much patience), the feral cunning of a Kroot (a creature for whom devouring the flesh of the fallen is a sacred act) or the merciless precision of the Dark Eldar.

JuankiMan said:

It's like welcoming aboard a walking time bomb. It'll obey as long as it serves its purposes but it is impossible to foretell how long it will be so, and the xenos will likely hand over his resignation slip at the end of a poisoned blade if it thinks he can get away with it. And I'm sure the crew will be delighted to have an easily bored torture specialist that literally needs to inflict pain or starve running around the ship during long weeks of warp travel.

The crew don't have a say in the matter, though their morale dips if a Dark Eldar character feeds on them.

And the key point here is "if it thinks it can get away with it". One lone warrior against a starship crew is not the kind of odds a self-serving murderer-for-hire is likely to embrace.

JuankiMan said:

Also, I do believe that associating with the Dark Eldar is a capital offense even to the bearer of a Writ of Trade.

The majority of people in the Imperium - even those who should know better - can seldom tell the difference between Eldar and Dark Eldar. I've never seen any mention of Dark Eldar in particular being singled out as "illegal to associate with, even for people who normally associate with Xenos". Beyond that, legality is seldom a concern most Rogue Traders, particularly once they're beyond the borders of the Imperium (at which point, the Rogue Trader gets to define what is and what isn't legal)

And if you don't want them in your game, don't allow them. Just because you're not sold on the idea doesn't mean that others won't jump at the opportunity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All sorts of things are capital offenses, and are done anyway.

In 1775, it was a capital offense to conspire against the crown with the French, and to draw up a Constitution, and declare yourself a Nation, but it got done anyway. ;)

It all boils down to story. If you have a good one to tell, it can make sense. If stared at in a vacuum, with an absense of story details, it makes no sense.

But, Worlds secede from the Imperium all the time, thats a capital offense. Marines refuse orders from the Adminstratum, thats a capital offense. Cults of Chaos Gods spring up, thats a capital offense.

Why would a PC engage in Capital offenses? Because they are a PC?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...