Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ulairi

One downside of the core set build out

14 posts in this topic

There are three runner factions and four corporation factions. If you purchase 3x of the core set, you can make one starter deck for 3/3 runner factions and 3/4 corporation factions by just adding the neutral cards for each side. To have 4/4 of the corp factions it requires either a 4th core set or the ability to get all the neutral cards for the corp side.

 

This isn't a big deal but I was kind of hoping to have 4 "full" decks without the need to swap cards while my friends and I first start to play. As we cutomize our decks and things this isn't that big of a deal but it kind of stinks that out of the box we cannot have complete decks for every faction.

 

I'll be purchasing a 4th core set to get the 4/4. I can use the extra cards for new players to help them build out their collections (if they don't want a complete play set) but just thought it was intersting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ulairi said:

it kind of stinks that out of the box we cannot have complete decks for every faction.
You are SOO right!

I just realized that in order to build every possible deck at the same time out of the core set cards, I'd have to buy 134,217,728 core sets!

That totally stinks! FFG's just a bunch of greedy moneygrabbers! If I buy a core set I expect to have a COMPLETE game!!!111

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

jhaelen said:

Ulairi said:

it kind of stinks that out of the box we cannot have complete decks for every faction.

You are SOO right!

 

I just realized that in order to build every possible deck at the same time out of the core set cards, I'd have to buy 134,217,728 core sets!

That totally stinks! FFG's just a bunch of greedy moneygrabbers! If I buy a core set I expect to have a COMPLETE game!!!111

 

Yes. Because that is the exact tone of my post for the point I was making. Jackass. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ulairi said:

Yes. Because that is the exact tone of my post for the point I was making. 

Agreed that name-calling is uncalled for.

In jhaelen's defense, you should be aware that there are many many people who are incredibly tired of talking about the core set distribution, especially if they also follow ANY other LCGs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

However, jhaelen's post was clearly baiting and shares blame in the name game equation.

Lads, we can all be civil or if not perhaps we should all build decks and settle our debates at the gaming table like civilized people!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coming to FFG's defence I want to say a big THANK YOU to them for releasing such wonderful games in LCG format in the first place. I mean, my gosh, you don't have to worry about whether you're going to pull that mythic rare that your friends all seem to have. You don't have to worry about having 6 copies of the same **** card if you don't want to have them. LCGs are a wonderful way to distribute a card game, and I think it's a bit disingenuous for people to nitpick about how they have to buy X amounts of a core set just to have a full play set. As someone who played Magic since 4th edition, I am thrilled that I can get an entire set of a game for much cheaper and that the outcomes of games depends more on player skill than who bought 4 copies of the latest Standard rares.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sinnerfold said:

Coming to FFG's defence I want to say a big THANK YOU to them for releasing such wonderful games in LCG format in the first place. I mean, my gosh, you don't have to worry about whether you're going to pull that mythic rare that your friends all seem to have. You don't have to worry about having 6 copies of the same **** card if you don't want to have them. LCGs are a wonderful way to distribute a card game, and I think it's a bit disingenuous for people to nitpick about how they have to buy X amounts of a core set just to have a full play set. As someone who played Magic since 4th edition, I am thrilled that I can get an entire set of a game for much cheaper and that the outcomes of games depends more on player skill than who bought 4 copies of the latest Standard rares.

 

Agreed!  The game and all of its components are stellar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So…buying the core set you don't get full factions?  Or is it like Warhammer Invasion where you get 4 factions out of the 6 and need to buy an expansion to get the other?

Please explain to me, an on the fence gamer, what you get and don't get with the Core set, i'd be very grateful! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the Core Set you get: card sets (ranging from 1 to 3 copies per CORE set card) that cover the three current and primary Runner factions : Anarch, Criminal and Shaper. You also get card sets for the 4 major Corporations: Haas Bioroid, Weyland, NBN and Jinteki.

Here' the cool thing, there are a set of Runner neutral cards and one set of Corporation neutral cards. You mix those sets in respectively with the faction specific sets. So technically, the Core set can make 7 different starter decks.  It's pretty cool, because in this fashion, you get to try out a variety of factions and styles.

For example: I'm currently playing a Shaper Runner starter, but now I want to play Criminal. I just take the Runner neutral cards out of the Shaper deck, add them to the Criminal deck and voila!!!…new starter deck :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ulairi said:

Yes. Because that is the exact tone of my post for the point I was making. Jackass. 
I'd like to apologize. I didn't mean to attack you in any way and your post was indeed quite reasonable.

I just thought it was hilarious that you decided to buy four core sets when everyone and their dogs was complaining all over the place that in order to have a 'complete' set, they'd have to buy three.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SolennelBern said:

So…buying the core set you don't get full factions?  Or is it like Warhammer Invasion where you get 4 factions out of the 6 and need to buy an expansion to get the other?

Please explain to me, an on the fence gamer, what you get and don't get with the Core set, i'd be very grateful! :)

For Warhammer you were only supposed to get those 4 cards for Dark Elves and High Elves as a teaser of the expansion. That was always known.

 

For Netrunner you get all the factions that exist. You can even see a list of the cards and their quantities on the support page: www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/android-netrunner/support/AND01-card-list.pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0