Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FFG_Sam Stewart

Edge of Empire Beta Update: Week 1

54 posts in this topic

My big question is the new Human ability. Does that means 2 Skills at Rank 2, and not 2 Ranks split between Skills?

It says 2 Ranks in 2 Different Skills.. which sounds like the first option, but I just wanted to make sure.

Also, thanks for the update!

Looks like there may be a typo for the Twi'leks update it says the following:

Twi’leks, Species Abilities (page 38):Add the following:
“Special Ability: When making skill checks, Twi’leks may re-move ∫ imposed due to arid or hot environmental conditions.”

Not really sure what this symbol means  ∫.

The new Twi'lek special ability seems to have a typo in it. It says the character can remove "S", or a symbol that appears to be an S.

(This is in the high-res PDF)

I also recommend changing the text that states that starting characters begin the game with no gear save what they purchased in character creation. Instead, I would suggest stating that all characters have nothing more than the clothes on their back. While that might seem obvious, keep in mind that "heavy clothing" is a purchasable item with a soak value. In the interests of idiot-proofing the game, it probably would not hurt to make this point clear and distinct.

Hi everyone,

The odd symbol seems to be a font artifact, and should be a Setback die. We'll see what we can do with fixing that.

Also, the human should be one rank in each of two different non-Career skills. Sorry about that, and we'll clarify it.  

Thanks for the update! Weekly Tuesday updates is awesome news :)

Interesting clarification for the Criticals. The update seems to suggest that somebody with high enough soak will be very resistant to critical hits from lower-powered weapons. If so, I think I like it.

Already awaiting next Tuesday and hoping for Force update! 

I actually really like the change to Humans.  The specialization for free thing was awkward, and in some ways almost limiting.  So the two skill ranks?  NICE solution.

EDIT: Though I don't like the change to the costs of specializations.  Let's just make being a Force User HARDER to be in a Star Wars game. 

Dulahan said:

I actually really like the change to Humans.  The specialization for free thing was awkward, and in some ways almost limiting.  So the two skill ranks?  NICE solution.

EDIT: Though I don't like the change to the costs of specializations.  Let's just make being a Force User HARDER to be in a Star Wars game. 

It won't be harder to be a force user once Force & Destiny comes out, and there are Jedi Careers. Do you really want them to not balance the REST of the game for the sake of ONE Spec? That'd be silly.

Inksplat said:

It won't be harder to be a force user once Force & Destiny comes out, and there are Jedi Careers. Do you really want them to not balance the REST of the game for the sake of ONE Spec? That'd be silly.

In 3 years…

And we don't need Jedi Careers to at least have the Force be a thing. 

Dulahan said:

Inksplat said:

In 3 years…

And we don't need Jedi Careers to at least have the Force be a thing. 

Are you honestly ignoring the fact that there are 18 other Specs that need to be balanced? You can still be a Force-Sensitive, they didn't take it away. 10XP over the course of a Campaign is nothing. 10 XP over the course of Character Creation can be quite a bit more, and effects the entire game, not just the one Spec in the back of the book.

As it was, you could take a Spec just to buy skills for cheaper during Character Creation and then drop it, and end up having saved XP. This addresses that.

Edit: Or Permanent Talents, for that matter.

I love the updates. Makes humans much more competitive, and the free talent ranks for some of the species opens up the door to differentiate some of the fan-created species that have been created.

Cyril said:

I love the updates. Makes humans much more competitive, and the free talent ranks for some of the species opens up the door to differentiate some of the fan-created species that have been created.

Aye, it allows for a lot more customisation for fan-created races now!

Inksplat said:

10XP over the course of a Campaign is nothing. 10 XP over the course of Character Creation can be quite a bit more, and effects the entire game, not just the one Spec in the back of the book.

As it was, you could take a Spec just to buy skills for cheaper during Character Creation and then drop it, and end up having saved XP. This addresses that.

That's the crux of it, in my opinion. As such, I fully support the change in Spec. cost.

Grooving on most of the updates.

Kinda sad not to see anything about Force usage, but I figure that's still being worked on.

I hope this is a good sign of things to come in regards to things being updated as comments and observations are made by we beta testers.

Donovan Morningfire said:

Grooving on most of the updates.

Kinda sad not to see anything about Force usage, but I figure that's still being worked on.

I hope this is a good sign of things to come in regards to things being updated as comments and observations are made by we beta testers.

If you read the last bit of the actual News Post, they say that they really appreciate all our attention to possible defenses, and that they're working on it.

Yeah, I wasn't expecting a Force Defense thing to come up yet.  It's something that's going to need more than a week to come up with a decent idea for, let alone have it ready for the masses to test.  I'd be a little surprised if it even shows up next week.

Venthrac said:

Inksplat said:

10XP over the course of a Campaign is nothing. 10 XP over the course of Character Creation can be quite a bit more, and effects the entire game, not just the one Spec in the back of the book.

That's the crux of it, in my opinion. As such, I fully support the change in Spec. cost.

Exactly. I mean you get 10 XP just for making it to the end of the Crates of Krayts adventure at the back of the book.

Cyril said:

Cyril said:

Agreed!

On a second note:  FFG I HATE you (not really).  Look I bought this game and waited patiently for it tor arrive.  I suspected it would be a quality product like most stuff from FFG, but I had no idea this would become my favorite Star Wars RPG… and it has.  Yes, there are warts and some stuff to smooth out and Force powers definitely need to be addressed before the final release, but I am shocked how quickly my group took to the game and the narrative dice system, and how much EotE captures the spirit of the Star Wars movies.  Frankly this game is a joy to gamemaster, and I've already run two sessions and look forward to my next session next week.

And HUGE kudos to the design team… again I really had no clue there would be weekly updates, especially one presented in such a professional manner.  I expected maybe one or two Errata and Rules Clarifications on the forums before the release with designers popping in once and a while in a thread.  Great, great customer support especially given the little shipping hiccup when the game was first released.

Again super job!  Now I'm off to plot my group's next adventure in a galaxy far, far away…

Yancy

Cyril said:

Venthrac said:

Inksplat said:

Exactly. I mean you get 10 XP just for making it to the end of the Crates of Krayts adventure at the back of the book.

Actually you get like 20. 10 for it, five for playing to your motivation, and I think there's another 5 listed there as well.

Inksplat said:

Cyril said:

Venthrac said:

Inksplat said:

Actually you get like 20. 10 for it, five for playing to your motivation, and I think there's another 5 listed there as well.

Yeah, there was meant to be an "at least" in front of that 10. Anniversary champagne makes it hard to remember what I was typing.

Inksplat said:

And that's not including the 10xp per session suggestion too!