Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Old Master

What next after the 4th corner?

65 posts in this topic

 THAT works for me too. Maybe more challenging enemies in the Highlands, more balance in the Dungeon. Yes. But I still want to see  a set or series of sets that ties things together better, too.

I would also like sets that further delineate the "alignment" thing; good evil neutral. A set that adds more to Blood Moon, or the day/night mechanic. Lots of old stories have Dragons sleeping during the day, hmmmm.

I'm not sure that they can't do more with Fate, seeing as it is two sided, dark and bright. Any one see further uses of that concept?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

a tie in would be best as a large box, a couple 20-30 cards for each regional deck that crosses things over to each other, and mixes some mechanics together. I'm sure there is a plan for fate as they have light/dark. I'm guessing it will be in the small box after the city. maybe pay a dark fate to make an opponent reroll a winning dice, haha, that's pretty mean though.

Or you take a dark fate when you reroll a dice, or pay a light fate to reroll. when you have equal amounts of each nothing happens, but if you have more dark then light fate you suffer a penalty? maybe a minus one to attack roles for every 2 dark fates you have?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 The situation to me is always, who/how do you monitor the fate since anyone could slip them over  if no one is watching to say they have this or that. 

 

You probably mean that the mechanic means 'showing' all that you are playing a light or dark and then some way of charting the mechanic's actions.

 

I sound like a game developer… NOT (LOL)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

0beron said:

 The situation to me is always, who/how do you monitor the fate since anyone could slip them over  if no one is watching to say they have this or that. 

 

You probably mean that the mechanic means 'showing' all that you are playing a light or dark and then some way of charting the mechanic's actions.

 

I sound like a game developer… NOT (LOL)

There was a idea about the light and dark side of the tokens, that a player could use it, to re-roll the die from a opponent's character. For example if they are visiting the enchantress.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This don't have to wait until after all four corners, but I'd think I like to see a small expansion with "overlays" to one or more of the mainboards corners (Village, City, Chapel and Tavern). Mainly Village.

I have seen fan-edits with this, and I think a official version would work very good. Just like you put the Dragon realm over the inner region, you can put a updated Village over the old one.

The reason I would like to see this, is because of how the purchase-deck works (or don't work).
I think it would be a nice mechanic if they started adding more items to the purchase-deck and the stables-deck. More weapons, armors and other items. And it's possible they do this in the City expanison, but the Village still states that you can only buy like, five specific things.

I would like different places that give access to the purchase and stables-deck, and each expansion might add more items to these decks, thus expanding the stock.

A new corner-piece for the city might be a good thing when the City is added, like a city-gate or something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually, substituting  one of the regions for a new one via overlays  is  a neat idea, and it's one of the reasons I'm getting the  Dragon expansion over Dungeon and Highlands.

Dungeon seems nice for a standalone game, but I think the main board is large enough already without attaching another corner to it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

zealot12 said:

Actually, substituting  one of the regions for a new one via overlays  is  a neat idea, and it's one of the reasons I'm getting the  Dragon expansion over Dungeon and Highlands.

Dungeon seems nice for a standalone game, but I think the main board is large enough already without attaching another corner to it.

 

I like the Dragon overlay board, because you can use it with or without the the Draconic lords, scales, decks, etc.

So an overlay type card - or - a card about the size of the Character, Alt.endings, Toad-cards, Reaper/Werewolf etc cards, with a little trivit or 'stanchion' to hold it upright, would allow you to place it on the space, as an overlay, ie; new directions or apsects.

  Voila! Instead of [just] corner spaces that have not had an expansion board, you could also have further "detail" or options for spaces such as

The Castle: Roll a dice for various options with one being a secret passage that could take you to the Dungeon Library or elsewhere (fight a guard strength 4, turn into a toad by the Court Wizard could be other dice rolls)

 The Chapel: Good characters could take a more simple quest to gain a point somewhere; a secret tunnel to somewhere in the City or the Highlands even?

other ideas?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've already begun designing my own 5th edition, part on paper, part in my head, part using Strange Eons.  Features include:


- specific Adventure decks for the Middle and Outer Regions; Middle Region comprises two subdivisions, Hidden Valley and Desert; possibly go even further and have specfic decks by land type eg Woods, Marsh, Fields etc; (for example, Cursed Glade would allow players to select from either the Hidden Valley deck or the Woods deck, depending on how big a risk/reward they wanted)

- some board revisions including tougher Inner Region, a couple of extra special spaces in the Outer Region (Marshes), retuning of the Middle Region to better fit the subdivisions mentioned above

- revised stats and abilities for existing characters to make them more balanced, more interesting or simply rejuvenated

- character gender, race and class matter eg Objects/Followers usable by specifc groups

- character-specific limits to number of Followers, Objects and Gold; character-specific movement options perhaps

- unique Objects and Followers for some characters, either as starting items or rewards

- a new mix of characters for the initial release, some old and new, with a better gender balance

- possessing a Talisman is a victory requirement (to close loopholes whereby the Valley of Fire can be bypassed)

- specific Adventure cards to broadly follow classic 2nd edition but with revised individual cards, some new and old stuff from various expansions mixed in

- fewer starting characters, more Adventure cards

- bring back the Fire Mountains from the 2nd Edition board; make these and the Storm River more relevant

 

Well, I can dream… :)

 


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Archdruid said:

I've already begun designing my own 5th edition, part on paper, part in my head, part using Strange Eons.  Features include:


- specific Adventure decks for the Middle and Outer Regions; Middle Region comprises two subdivisions, Hidden Valley and Desert; possibly go even further and have specfic decks by land type eg Woods, Marsh, Fields etc; (for example, Cursed Glade would allow players to select from either the Hidden Valley deck or the Woods deck, depending on how big a risk/reward they wanted)

- some board revisions including tougher Inner Region, a couple of extra special spaces in the Outer Region (Marshes), retuning of the Middle Region to better fit the subdivisions mentioned above

- revised stats and abilities for existing characters to make them more balanced, more interesting or simply rejuvenated

- character gender, race and class matter eg Objects/Followers usable by specifc groups

- character-specific limits to number of Followers, Objects and Gold; character-specific movement options perhaps

- unique Objects and Followers for some characters, either as starting items or rewards

- a new mix of characters for the initial release, some old and new, with a better gender balance

- possessing a Talisman is a victory requirement (to close loopholes whereby the Valley of Fire can be bypassed)

- specific Adventure cards to broadly follow classic 2nd edition but with revised individual cards, some new and old stuff from various expansions mixed in

- fewer starting characters, more Adventure cards

- bring back the Fire Mountains from the 2nd Edition board; make these and the Storm River more relevant

Well, I can dream… :)
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Archdruid said:

I've already begun designing my own 5th edition, part on paper, part in my head, part using Strange Eons.  Features include:


- specific Adventure decks for the Middle and Outer Regions; Middle Region comprises two subdivisions, Hidden Valley and Desert; possibly go even further and have specfic decks by land type eg Woods, Marsh, Fields etc; (for example, Cursed Glade would allow players to select from either the Hidden Valley deck or the Woods deck, depending on how big a risk/reward they wanted)

- some board revisions including tougher Inner Region, a couple of extra special spaces in the Outer Region (Marshes), retuning of the Middle Region to better fit the subdivisions mentioned above

- revised stats and abilities for existing characters to make them more balanced, more interesting or simply rejuvenated

- character gender, race and class matter eg Objects/Followers usable by specifc groups

- character-specific limits to number of Followers, Objects and Gold; character-specific movement options perhaps

- unique Objects and Followers for some characters, either as starting items or rewards

- a new mix of characters for the initial release, some old and new, with a better gender balance

- possessing a Talisman is a victory requirement (to close loopholes whereby the Valley of Fire can be bypassed)

- specific Adventure cards to broadly follow classic 2nd edition but with revised individual cards, some new and old stuff from various expansions mixed in

- fewer starting characters, more Adventure cards

- bring back the Fire Mountains from the 2nd Edition board; make these and the Storm River more relevant

 

Well, I can dream… :)

 


 

Archdruid said:

I've already begun designing my own 5th edition, part on paper, part in my head, part using Strange Eons.  Features include:


- specific Adventure decks for the Middle and Outer Regions; Middle Region comprises two subdivisions, Hidden Valley and Desert; possibly go even further and have specfic decks by land type eg Woods, Marsh, Fields etc; (for example, Cursed Glade would allow players to select from either the Hidden Valley deck or the Woods deck, depending on how big a risk/reward they wanted)

- some board revisions including tougher Inner Region, a couple of extra special spaces in the Outer Region (Marshes), retuning of the Middle Region to better fit the subdivisions mentioned above

- revised stats and abilities for existing characters to make them more balanced, more interesting or simply rejuvenated

- character gender, race and class matter eg Objects/Followers usable by specifc groups

- character-specific limits to number of Followers, Objects and Gold; character-specific movement options perhaps

- unique Objects and Followers for some characters, either as starting items or rewards

- a new mix of characters for the initial release, some old and new, with a better gender balance

- possessing a Talisman is a victory requirement (to close loopholes whereby the Valley of Fire can be bypassed)

- specific Adventure cards to broadly follow classic 2nd edition but with revised individual cards, some new and old stuff from various expansions mixed in

- fewer starting characters, more Adventure cards

- bring back the Fire Mountains from the 2nd Edition board; make these and the Storm River more relevant

Well, I can dream… :)
 

  Certainly you can. I don't recall the Fire Mountains, was that really 2nd Edition? Or maybe someone can refresh my memory?

  Now making the Storm River more relevant does seem a good idea. I've mentioned this a number of times, but it appear that the boards for the City and /or Village corners show the River moving down into what is presumably that 'region'.

  How do people think this might manifest?

  Maybe in the Village, the River can take you in deeper (short cut, sorta) towards the End space/Big Bad Boss? But you need to navigate it with a craft, or new allie (River/Lake Elementals?)

  Probably not exactly the same for the counter board, however they do it; maybe the other board with River presents more obstructions or possible enemies; Thiefs or urchins or brigands who live under bridges or around docks?

  Maybe you can find precious gems/trinkets around the river banks in either board?

  I'd like to see Water Falls (that offer healing, perhaps?), Dams or levies that can occasionally break or flood? Deep pools with treasures at the bottom (once again, guarded by a Lake Spirit/Elemental or "Lady of the Lake" (with the ultimate Sword, of course?)     - Oberon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

talismanisland said:

Hyperquote!!!

The Fire Mountains are the barrier between the Inner and Middle Regions.

 Sorry about that. Okay, so I guess I never noticed that, ever.  What else did they do?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nidhögg said:

Am I the only one hoping that after all corners are complete FFG stops puting out expansions?

Don't get me wrong, I love Talisman and happily purchase every single expansion, but enough is enough. There should be some line where there will be no more expansions, the game is complete so to speak :)

Nope. I'm like you in that I'd like to see the game capped, though I'd prefer they cap it with a Miskatonic Horror style expansion to link the corner boards. The fans can then create their own custom expansions to fill in any gaps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a difference  between Arkham Horror expansions and Talisman expansions. While it's true that the expansions in both contribute to the variety, Arkham is a considerably heavier and more complicated game. Plus there are FAR more decks of cards in AH.

Talisman has only two main ones: adventures and spells,   and a few supplementary mini- decks.

Arkham Horror is a bloated monster by comparison, and setup time is considerably longer with all expansion elements.  I actually hope that Miskatonic is the last expansion.  I own all expansions  and it looks kinda scary: I've got : 4  game boxes packed to the brim with components.I like the game, but enough is enough. Variety is fine, but it crossed into the  distasteful kind a long time ago. 

 

The only small expansion for Talisman I'm still short of is Frostmarch. It's bound to arrive soon. And then I think I'll stop for a while. I'd like to get the other expansions(Dungeon and Highland) sometime,  mostly for the new characters and endings. The extra boards don't really catch my fancy. There's enough ground to cover on the main board as it is.

It would've been nicer if they had  introduced new  overlays for the middle and outer regions, like they did with the Dragon. New boards that don't take extra space are a neat idea.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0