Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jskinny

Transporting Models

113 posts in this topic

For those of you in the Pacific NW of the USA,  Fred Meyer has the single sided Red Plano box on sale for $10. It is in the hardware area.  I might just buy a 2nd one and stick them together somehow.

Chris Rivers

I love the Plano 5231 case, but decided to organize mine a bit differently. You can see how much this can hold (lots of room for more ships this way).  I also decided to store my cards in a binder in Ultra Pro organizers.  I have a section for ships and a section for upgrades.  Also gives me a nice way to store the instructions.  MUCH easier to see and find things this way (not to mention it leaves more room for minis in the case).  This is how I generally organize my other minis games, so I figure I'd give it a try with this one to see how it goes. 

P1120906.JPG

P1120907.jpg

P1120908.JPG

El_Tonio said:

I love the Plano 5231 case, but decided to organize mine a bit differently. You can see how much this can hold (lots of room for more ships this way).  I also decided to store my cards in a binder in Ultra Pro organizers.  I have a section for ships and a section for upgrades.  Also gives me a nice way to store the instructions.  MUCH easier to see and find things this way (not to mention it leaves more room for minis in the case).  This is how I generally organize my other minis games, so I figure I'd give it a try with this one to see how it goes. 

P1120906.JPG

P1120907.jpg

P1120908.JPG

I love your level of organization. I plan on doing something very similar. I am not sure on the binder with the cards, because I am going to put mine in sleeves and last I checked most of those card organizers have issues holding a card already in a sleeve.

If you put them in firmer plastic sleeves (rather than the very thin/flimsy ones) they work well in the 9 card organizer even when in the sleeves.  I tried it other ways, but never could see everything on the cards at a glance to my satisfaction, so this works well for me. But, the cards will fit in the Plano case if that's how you want to go.  But, when wave 2 comes out (especially with bigger ships) you might need to expand.  With just the damage cards in the case there is lots off room left for ships. 

tiepilot1138 said:

drkjedi35 said:

I think it was in Home Organization or something like that.

Roy

Yup, the hardware section.

Thanks guys, went and checked again and found them! They had 4, but everyone of them had the top left clear part that goes under the latch broken. so only one side would latch. So back to searching around again.

Anyone thought of tackle boxes? Even at the hardware store they have some organizers for nuts and bolts etc…? Plenty of options out there, once my mini's show up tomorrow or Saturday. I will let you know if this hardware store organizer works.

If you check out Amazon and search for X wing. Click on one of the expansions and you will notice several containers that were often purchased with that item.

I see that some one mentioned they bought the Plano 5231 for $13 on Amazon. Well if you happen to live in the Midwest, Menards has them on sale for $8. Save that $5 towards another ship!

crackerbox said:

I see that some one mentioned they bought the Plano 5231 for $13 on Amazon. Well if you happen to live in the Midwest, Menards has them on sale for $8. Save that $5 towards another ship!

I got mine for $6.50 at K-mart!  So I agree, they can be found pretty cheap.  Thinking about getting a second one and using velcro to stick the two together back to back.

Roy

The Plano case is JUST what I was looking for! I wish I'd have found this thread before spending money on new foam trays for my Sabol case! enfadado.gifI'm definately going to have to get one of these somewhere. Great find!

AncientAngel said:

Anyone thought of tackle boxes? Even at the hardware store they have some organizers for nuts and bolts etc…? Plenty of options out there, once my mini's show up tomorrow or Saturday. I will let you know if this hardware store organizer works.

If you check out Amazon and search for X wing. Click on one of the expansions and you will notice several containers that were often purchased with that item.

I'm tellin ya, the Husky Organizer at Home Depot is working for me so far. It's large and has lots of space.. great for planning ahead, not great if you want to store individual models. Still, it should have enough room for the Falcon and Slave One, I hope.

El_Tonio said:

I typed "Plano 3952" into Amazon and this is what came up (see pic below).  Looks pretty cool and like it will hold lots of models.  If any one gets it let us know how it works (looks like it has two compartments for models and two clear compartments for accessories, but I can't tell for sure).  Here is the link FYI:  www.amazon.com/Plano-Double-Cover-Tackle-Organizer/dp/B001ECQPVQ/ref=sr_1_1

The two-sided red one is $9 cheaper than the blue one at amazon…

http://www.amazon.com/Plano-Molding-5232-Organizer-Porsche/dp/B000OEMNLG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1348333562&sr=8-2&keywords=Plano+Molding+5231

Looks like the double red one is cheaper because it doesn't have the top and bottom compartments in the clear cover.  That is an important part of this unit.  I have the single one and it wouldn't work at all without the extra storage in the cover.  Looks like there are many that look similar, so be careful about which one  you buy (I highly recommend the one with storage in the cover).

For storage and transport, I'm using a Plano 3730 case. Easily holds the contents of 2 core box sets and 7 expansions. (Could hold another TIE fighter, too.)

All of the minis are on bases and standing on 2 pegs. The TIE fighters are set on their sides, and will stack nicely that way. The other ships are all standing up. I've put small baggies of counters in between the ships to prevent them from moving around too much in transit, but there's plenty of room for those baggies in other compartments, if I wanted.

The wells on this case are too deep for holding just a few tokens, so it's not a great case to play out of. But it's fine for carrying the stuff around.

plano-02.jpg

plano-01.jpg

SteveSpikes said:

Crud!  Now you tell us. cool.gif  
I just found out about them myself. I wish the inserts were changeable. What if I don't have 2 TIE Advanceds, but I have 3 Y-Wings?

Kedex said:

I've been thinking about picking up this… javascript:void(0);/*1348335500773*/

Very cool (especially that it fits in the starter box), but also very pricy.  It would cost $30 with shipping and tax for just one of these.  Two would be about $47 (and I'd need at least two). I could get nearly two starter sets or 5 boosters on Miniature Market or this price.  If the price comes down I will consider it.  But for now I'll stick to my red Plano organizer.  No problems so far, and a lot would have to break beyond repair to make this worth it to me. 

Baphomet69 said:

I ordered the blue, double-sided Plano. Should be here tomorrow.

I am leaning in that direction myself.  I have the single sided version, Plano 5231, and I have plenty of room left after filling it with 2 core sets and 2 of each expansion.  But I think I'm going to wait to see how my Wave 2 purchases fit.  I don't see a need for more than one Falcon or Slave 1, so they may fit too with my multiple TIE Interceptors and A-wings.  We'll see.

Roy