Sign in to follow this  
cootewards

Decks for a 4 player game.

I'd like to hear what people have done in terms of deck design when playing with 4 players.

The few times I've done it so far, it's been a last minute thing and so we've just stuck with mono sphere decks. while this is probably the simple answer it feels like it's missing out on some of the possibilities.

So does anyone have and suggestions/examples of other ways they've set-up the decks for a 4 player game?

Cheers.

Well, we do monosphere as well, but there are some cards that I leave out in 1 or 2 player games that are autoinclude in 4. The one that jumps to mind is Campfire Tales. We only have one core but if we got a second I think we would do dual spheres each.

We also only have a single core, plus 1 each of the first cycle of monthly packs.

I'm not sure if this physically give enough cards to do much beyond 4 monosphere decks. I was wonder if it would work trying to do decks that used 2 heroes from one sphere one from another and look for 4 match ups such that each sphere was a main and a support in only one of the 4 decks.

but I seemed to hit the problem that you simply don't have enough cards from the core to really support this.

We play monosphere decks.

Personally, I think monosphere is the way to go if playing with 4 players. The main reason to use multi-sphere decks is to incorporate different abilities to offset the weaknesses inherent in the other.

With 4 players, each using a different sphere, all spheres are represented. All your bases are covered.

The Tactics deck player can concentrate on bringing out forces and heroes to attack and defend with.

The Leaderships deck player can concentrate on allies and buffing the other decks (giving ranged and sentinel to Tactics heroes, for example).

The Lore deck can concentrate on healing as well as deck manipulation

The Spirit deck can focus on questing and card cancellation

Another bonus is that, using pure spheres, you can include some higher cost cards in the deck if you want, because all of your heroes are generating the same type resource (without being dependent on getting a Song into play).

Honestly, I don't think multi-sphere decks bring all that much of a benefit to a 4-player game.

I guess I am the exception when it comes to building decks for 4 player games. Originally we kept our decks to a single sphere and focused on each player playing a sperate role but over time it became much more difficult to stay within your own sphere because a lot of the combos and synergies were lost.

The following are the deck ideas that I am currently working on. Some of them I have been developing for the past couple of months and other still experimenting with different heroes. I own every card that has been released to date (through the first hobbit saga) and have 2 core sets.

Elves and Eagles - Tactics

Hero (3)
Elladan (RtR) x1
Elrohir (TRG) x1
Legolas (Core) x1

Ally (22)
Eagles of the Misty Mountains (RtM) x3
Landroval (AJtR) x1
Vassal of the Windlord (TDM) x3
Winged Guardian (THfG) x3
Gondorian Spearman (Core) x3
Silverlode Archer (Core) x2
Trollshaw Scout (FoS) x2
Watcher of the Bruinen (TWitW) x2
Radagast (AJtR) x2
Gandalf (Core) x1

Attachment (13)
Blade of Gondolin (Core) x3
Support of the Eagles (RtM) x2
Rivendell Bow (TWitW) x2
Rivendell Blade (RtR) x3
Horn of Gondor (Core) x1
Dunedain Warning (CatC) x2

Event (15)
Feint (Core) x3
Foe-hammer (OHaUH) x3
Goblin-cleaver (OHaUH) x3
Hands Upon the Bow (SaF) x3
The Eagles Are Coming! (THfG) x3

Spirit - Aragorn deck.

Hero (3)
Aragorn (TWitW) x1
Frodo Baggins (CatC) x1
Glorfindel (FoS) x1

Ally (24)
Arwen Undomiel (TWitW) x3
Bofur (TRG) x2
Gleowine (Core) x2
Henamarth Riversong (Core) x1
Imladris Stargazer (FoS) x3
Northern Tracker (Core) x2
Warden of Healing (TLD) x3
West Road Traveller (RtM) x3
The Riddermark's Finest (THoEM) x2
Gandalf (Core) x2
Gandalf (OHaUH)x1

Attachment (15)
Asfaloth (FoS) x2
A Burning Brand (CatC) x2
Fast Hitch (TDM) x3
Light of Valinor (FoS) x3
Unexpected Courage (Core) x2
Song of Wisdom (CatC) x2
Song of Travel (THoEM) x1

Event (11)
A Test of Will (Core) x3
Elrond's Counsel (TWitW) x3
Dwarven Tomb (Core) x2
Hasty Stroke (Core) x3

Leadership

Hero (3)
Gloin (Core) x1
Elrond (SaF) x1
Theodred (Core) x1

Ally (19)
Erestor (TLD) x2
Faramir (Core) x2
Snowbourn Scout (Core) x3
Gandalf (OHaUH) x1
Gandalf (Core) x1
Warden of Healing (TLD) x3
Master of the Forge (SaF) x2
Dori (OHaUH) x3
Haldir of Lorien (AJtR) x2

Attachment (18)
Dunedain Warning (CatC) x3
Steward of Gondor (Core) x2
Dunedain Mark (THfG) x3
Dunedain Signal (RtM) x2
Path of Need (FoS) x1
Healing Herbs (FoS) x2
Self Preservation (Core) x2
Thror's Map (OHaUH) x1
Vilya (SaF) x2

Event (13)
Campfire Tales (THfG) x3
Ever Vigilant (Core) x2
Sneak Attack (Core) x2
Fresh Tracks (TLD) x3
Grim Resolve (Core) x1
Common Cause (Core) x2

Dwarfs - Tactics/Lore

Hero (3)
Ori (OHaUH) x1
Thalin (Core) x1
Gimli (Core) x1

Ally (16)
Bofur (OHaUH) x2
Erebor Battle Master (TLD) x3
Erebor Record Keeper (KD) x3
Gandalf (OHaUH) x1
Miner of the Iron Hills (Core) x2
Veteran Axehand (Core) x3
Veteran of Nanduhirion (KD) x2

Attachment (19)
Boots from Erebor (KD) x3
Citadel Plate (Core) x2
Dwarrowdelf Axe (KD) x3
Legacy of Durin (TWitW) x3
Resourceful (TWitW) x3
Song of Kings (THFG) x3
Hardy Leadership (SaF) x2

Event (15)
Daeron's Runes (FoS) x3
Hail of Stones (RtR) x3
Heavy Stroke (FoS) x3
Khazad! Khazad! (KD) x3
We Are Not Idle (SaF) x3

Fantastic! I've played collectible card and dice games for about twenty years, and I love tinkering with different combinations.

Now, however, I'm a family man with three kids. My free time is precious, and my kids are too young to play this game (my oldest one is 8, and English is not our native language). The oldest one is intimately familiar with games like Dragon Dice, Dominion, and the LotRTCG, where I use different "starter sets". These are pretty straight forward, but the LCG is more complex (e.a. more text on each card). I only get to play this amazing game once in a while (about every other month), with one of my younger brothers when he comes to visit us.

This weekend, however, I'm going to our cabin, and we are four people playing different games. I don't have time to "waste" on building decks, so your deck lists here are definitely an invaluable resource for us!

Thank you very much!!!

:)yvind

This post is a reply to Sprenger (as was the last one):

Both the Leadership and the Spirit - Aragorn deck have three Wardens of Healing listed. I guess the most natural replacement card is Daughter of…, if not, I'd want your opinion on what card(s) to use instead. If I'm correct, how do you propose to divide these 3 Wardens and 3 Daughters between the two decks?

Same problem with the Dunedain Warning. The Elves and Eagles - Tactics deck has listed two of these, while the Leadership deck has three copies listed. What's the best replacement(s), and how do you feel the final five cards should be divided between the two?

I'd love to hear your thoughts on these matters…

oyvind said:

This post is a reply to Sprenger (as was the last one):

Both the Leadership and the Spirit - Aragorn deck have three Wardens of Healing listed. I guess the most natural replacement card is Daughter of…, if not, I'd want your opinion on what card(s) to use instead. If I'm correct, how do you propose to divide these 3 Wardens and 3 Daughters between the two decks?

Same problem with the Dunedain Warning. The Elves and Eagles - Tactics deck has listed two of these, while the Leadership deck has three copies listed. What's the best replacement(s), and how do you feel the final five cards should be divided between the two?

I'd love to hear your thoughts on these matters…

I'm not an experienced player on 4-players, but I would say to:

1- yes, Daughter is a natural replacement. I recomend 3 of daughter in one deck (probably in Aragorn - despite of all heroes are spirit and daughter is lore, that deck has the proper song (wisdom, if not mistaken) and 3 Warden in the leadership deck (I would swap Path of Need for a Narvi's Belt to Gloin, but that is my opinion)

2 - Keep the 3 warnings in the leadership deck (you could alway put it in one of the others deck heroes) and put as a replacement, probably, Ring Mail (it needs 1 more resource to put in play and only works in hobbits or dwarves but is a good replacement) or an event called Blade Mastery.

In my group we are trying an having sucess with a combo: Boromir, Dunedain Warnings, A Burning Brand and sentinel (either by Arwen or by Dunedain Signal) and of course some cards to lower threath (Elrond's Counsel, Galadhrim's Greetings, etc)

I think in multiplayer games it is convenient to use monosphere, but not necessarily sound strategy.  Specialization sounds good on paper, but if only one person is playing Spirit, you've got one person who is ready to cancel cards.  In that scenario, there're still only 2 (or 3) copies of A Test of Will at the party's disposal -- same as in a one-player game, but now you have four times the chance of drawing Sleeping Sentry! It's less of a question of "if" (as in one-player) and more a question of "when," and maybe multiple "whens" because that encounter deck will cycle and recycle faster.

It's a problem of scaling.  While one-player games are really a horse of a different color, I think 2-player, 3-player, and 4-player deck construction are all the same beast.  Everyone has to be ready to deal with a little of everything!