Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joe K.

Agenda and Asset

30 posts in this topic

I'm a little confused about agenda and asset being in the remote server. Rules say

 

"There can be only one agenda or one asset installed in a remote server at a time."

 

So only ONE agenda or ONE asset can be in the RS? So agenda and asset cannot co-exist?

…or is it one agenda and one asset in the RS?

 

What I get is that there can be an unlimited amount of upgrades in Root or RS, yet only one asset OR agenda in RS. So if I was to get rid of an asset for a better asset, would I remove the current asset? same with the agenda?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are thinking correctly. A remote server (RS) can only hold one "thing".  Forget about upgrades for a second. The RS either has an agenda or an asset. A single card. Pick one, that is what the remote server is hosting.

 

No, agendas and assets can not co-exist - unless they print an old card that let a data fort host 2 "things".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Think of Agendas as the collected efforts towards a goal, while Assets are the collected resources designed to make something work.  The ICE is the security dedicated to that particular aspect of the corporation.

What helps is that the Agenda is taken out of the Remote Host once complete, leaving space fresh for a new Agenda or Asset.  Once you complete the goal, it sustains without needing the security.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Joe K. said:

What I get is that there can be an unlimited amount of upgrades in Root or RS, yet only one asset OR agenda in RS. So if I was to get rid of an asset for a better asset, would I remove the current asset? same with the agenda?

 

This statement leads me to believe that you are thinking the Corp player can only have one remote server at a time. In case that is where the confusion lies, let me assure you that is not the case. The Corp player can have an unlimited number of remote servers at any one time, but each is limited to one agenda OR asset.

If that's not what is throwing you off, then just ignore this post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TheRealLeo said:

 

Joe K. said:

 

What I get is that there can be an unlimited amount of upgrades in Root or RS, yet only one asset OR agenda in RS. So if I was to get rid of an asset for a better asset, would I remove the current asset? same with the agenda?

 

 

 

This statement leads me to believe that you are thinking the Corp player can only have one remote server at a time. In case that is where the confusion lies, let me assure you that is not the case. The Corp player can have an unlimited number of remote servers at any one time, but each is limited to one agenda OR asset.

If that's not what is throwing you off, then just ignore this post.

 

 

 

So if there was two servers in RS, one can be asset and the other agenda? And, if possible, three servers in RS, asset, agenda, asset. Wouldn't that contradict the co-existing rule? It still sounds a little confusing. 

Also, I think I am confused with the "server" term. I know Remote and Central, but creating a server in RS. The term server would sound like everything in Remote server.

…So there are two servers in Remote that can be agenda or asset, but the third cannot be either of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Joe K. said:

So if there was two servers in RS, one can be asset and the other agenda? And, if possible, three servers in RS, asset, agenda, asset. Wouldn't that contradict the co-existing rule? It still sounds a little confusing. 

Also, I think I am confused with the "server" term. I know Remote and Central, but creating a server in RS. The term server would sound like everything in Remote server.

…So there are two servers in Remote that can be agenda or asset, but the third cannot be either of them.

You are confused.  When you wish to install an asset or agenda, you do so in a Remote Server.  Perhaps this is a new server, perhaps this server already has one or more upgrades in it.  Up to you.

Each Remote Server is protected by its own ICE.

Each Remote Server can have installed in it (a) any number of upgrades, (b) at most 1 agenda, © at most 1 asset, (d) but not 1 agenda AND one asset.

You may have as many Remote Servers as you like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 OK, I see where the terminology problem is happening.  Let me try a breakdown like this, just to make sure we're all on the same page:

Central Servers:  A plural term that identifies the 3 servers the Corp begins the game with - R&D (Draw Pile), HQ (ID & Hand), and Archives (Discard Pile)

Remote Servers: A catchall term for any and all Servers that are built after initial setup.  These are defined as the placement of a facedown card (That may be either an Agenda or an Asset) and/or the establishment of an ICE defensive line.  Remote Servers exist as long as one of these two elements is present.

Server:  A term given to represent any and all "locations" in the Corp Player's play area that may have a Run activated on.  All Servers are either Remote Servers or Central Servers, based on how they are established during game play.  Any card that targets a "Server" is valid against either of these game elements.

 

Therefore, you are not establishing "Sub-servers" in a singular Remote Server.  Rather, you are building multiple Remote Servers, with each one holding/maintaining an Asset or an Agenda.

Make sense?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I see. On page 19 of the rules, the ice is defending not one but two agenda/upgrade in the server. I thought it was that each piece has to be defended with ice. So it could possibly be like, 1. asset/upgrade 2.agenda/upgrade 3. upgrade/upgrade/as or ag, but yes never agenda and asset co-existing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Right; in that particular diagram, you are seeing a single Remote Server that has a defensive row of ice, and Agenda, and an Upgrade.  When the Runner gets through the ICE, both the Agenda and the Upgrade are accessed.  That would be an illegal server if there was more than 1 Agenda, more than 1 Asset, or an agenda and an asset "co-existing".

All of this, of course, assumes that there is not a card text in play that would create an exception to the standing rules in the book.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, I am still confuse on the Agenda or Asset subject. My question is,  on my turn I can only place an agenda in my RS, and once I placed an agenda, I can no longer place an asset?  (and wise versa)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 If you placed an agenda in a particular RS, you can no longer place an asset in that RS.  You could, however, place an asset in a different RS.  You can have multiple RS, each protected by its own ICE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

radiskull said:

 

 If you placed an agenda in a particular RS, you can no longer place an asset in that RS.  You could, however, place an asset in a different RS.  You can have multiple RS, each protected by its own ICE.

 

 

 

wait, so there can be both an agenda and asset? even though thats not co-existing!?

 

oh.

 

so if i am getting this correctly, hear are my example servers in RS,

 

SER IN RS #1

1. Asset  2. Upgrade

ICE #2

 

SER IN RS #2

1. Agenda 2. Upgrade 3. Upgrade

ICE #3

 

…so creating a new server in RS, means a whole new defensive line of ice! even though there are two different servers in RS, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Joe K. said:

…so creating a new server in RS, means a whole new defensive line of ice! even though there are two different servers in RS, right?

Kinda, you got the individual ice for every server correct and the only one asset or agenda per server. However your first example should be called Remote Server #1, not Server in Remote Server #1. Every new server you create is a Remote Server. See rulebook page 7, it lists two Remote Servers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 You can have as many Remote Servers as you want.  Remote Server is not a single item in the play area, a Remote Server is anything that is not one of the Central Servers you start the game with (R&D, HQ, Archives).

Mikko Leho is right, Page 7 is a good diagram to understand this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mikko Leho said:

 

Joe K. said:

 

…so creating a new server in RS, means a whole new defensive line of ice! even though there are two different servers in RS, right?

 

 

Kinda, you got the individual ice for every server correct and the only one asset or agenda per server. However your first example should be called Remote Server #1, not Server in Remote Server #1. Every new server you create is a Remote Server. See rulebook page 7, it lists two Remote Servers.

 

 

 

Alright, so its called a RS even though it branches out with another asset/agenda. So if an upgrade would effect that RS, it would effect just that RS? Or would it effect all RS? If Akitaro Watanabe (rez cost is lowered by 2) is installed in Root, it would effect HQ, R&D, and Archives. What happens if intsalled in a single RS?.

 

I'm guessing it would be a single RS and not all of them. The Root would just effect CS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Joe K. said:

Alright, so its called a RS even though it branches out with another asset/agenda. So if an upgrade would effect that RS, it would effect just that RS? Or would it effect all RS? If Akitaro Watanabe (rez cost is lowered by 2) is installed in Root, it would effect HQ, R&D, and Archives. What happens if intsalled in a single RS?.

 

I'm guessing it would be a single RS and not all of them. The Root would just effect CS.

It would be a single RS, yes.  And you're a bit confused still - HQ, R&D and Archives each have their own individual root.  If you install Akitaro in the root of HQ, it reduces the rez cost of ICE protecting HQ by 2.  It has no effect on ICE protecting Archives, for example.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Your mistake is seeing the "Central Servers" as a singular entity for card effects.  The card you are referencing says "ice protecting this server" for the target of effect.

"The Corporation has three central servers: Headquarters, Research and Development, and Archives. Each central server also has a root."  (pg. 6, Netrunner Rules)

If you install him in the root of your HQ server, he affects HQ.  If you install him in the root of a remote server, he affects that server.  "Central Servers" just help define what you get when the game starts, the three components are not protected and affected as one.  Get rid of the idea that there is a single "CS" and a single "RS".  There are three Central Servers when the game begins and you will build 1 or more Remote Servers as you play.  Each Remote Server will house a single Asset or Agenda, have as many root upgrades as you want to affect that single server, and will each have their own defensive line of ICE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Janus said:

 Your mistake is seeing the "Central Servers" as a singular entity for card effects.  The card you are referencing says "ice protecting this server" for the target of effect.

"The Corporation has three central servers: Headquarters, Research and Development, and Archives. Each central server also has a root."  (pg. 6, Netrunner Rules)

If you install him in the root of your HQ server, he affects HQ.  If you install him in the root of a remote server, he affects that server.  "Central Servers" just help define what you get when the game starts, the three components are not protected and affected as one.  Get rid of the idea that there is a single "CS" and a single "RS".  There are three Central Servers when the game begins and you will build 1 or more Remote Servers as you play.  Each Remote Server will house a single Asset or Agenda, have as many root upgrades as you want to affect that single server, and will each have their own defensive line of ICE.

 

Oh, so R&D. HQ, and Archives each have a Root!

Ok, that really clarifies everything.

 

thanks. happy.gif

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To Joe K's defense, the whole "Root" concept is quite misleading, as it appears from the diagrams to be encompassing all three central servers. Makes me wonder why they included it honestly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Hey, it's never a bad thing to ask.  And yes, the diagram can be interpreted to show a central root for the HQ/R&D/Archives.  And hopefully this discussion will help anyone else that makes a similar interpretation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On page 9 in the rule book said that Upgrades are the only card type that can be installed in the root of a central server, it did not say that it can be installed in a RS. Correct me if im wrong?

p/s: Its ok, page 13 said otherwise gran_risa.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no contradiction. Page 9 says that, in the root of a central server, you can only install an upgrade (not an asset or agenda). It says nothing about remote servers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Just jumping in here (having played the original).

Think of every "Server" as a box, or computer. 

The Corporation starts with 3 "Servers": HQ, R&D, and Archive. These are of a type "Central Server".

The Corporation can spin up any amount of new "Servers" by installing either a) an Agenda, b) an Asset, or c) some ICE to protect it (even if there's nothing there to protect…yet).

These new "Servers" are of a type "Remote Server".

Page #19 confused me initially, until I realized that it shows a single Server (that is a "Remote Server" type) that has an Asset and an Upgrade (both unrezzed). Normally I show my Upgrades Rezzed (and pay the Rez cost) but I suppose you could just "Install" it as a corporation and leave the Running guessing. I mean the Runner would logically KNOW there's an Upgrade there, because no "Remote Server" can have more than a single Agenda or Asset.

If you think of it like computers, imagine each "Server" being a new computer being spun up with software installed (ICE) and hosting a website, or some activity on it (Agenda, or Asset). Or even an office, with a staff of people. You can't have those people working on multiple projects: they're dedicated to a single Agenda or Asset.

Also, you can always install a new Agenda or Asset on an existing "Remote Server" if you trash the existing Agenda or Asset (instead of waiting until the Agenda is scored, or Asset finishes it's life-cycle).

First post, hope this helps!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

John Jones 937 said:

The Corporation can spin up any amount of new "Servers" by installing either a) an Agenda, b) an Asset, or c) some ICE to protect it (even if there's nothing there to protect…yet).

… and d) upgrade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0