Sign in to follow this  
Wolvan2

Question- Close combat and walkers/tanks etc

Just started playing at gencon, so my friend and I only have a few battles under our belts.  I think we have a pretty good grasp of most of the rules, but wanted an opinion on one.

I was playing allies, he was axis. 

If my Hammer Squad (w/ Rhino) gets into range for a close combat attack from the side/rear on his Flammenluffen (spelling!) medium walker armed with dual flamers, which only fire into the front arc.

This is what we came up with, just wanted to see if we missed any points.

If I perform a close combat attack, he has no response, as he cannot perform a reaction move, and can only do a reaction attack with a close combat weapon (which he doesn't have)  For his turn, as long as I am positioned outside of his front arc, the only weapon he can hit me with is his turret MG (which could provoke a reaction action to the attack)  If he tries to move away during a normal unit activation, he would be vulnerable to a reaction attack/move from my squad (provided they are able to perform one).  Even just rotating in place as his move to bring his weapons to bear would still be considered a move initiated/finished within 12" so would provoke a reaction action, which would occur before his attack action would take place.   He could however perform a command phase move or attack without provoking a reaction.

Which demonstrates the need for good infantry support for a mech!  Did we miss any rules or options?  I think by our final game we had figured out most of the rules pretty well (both experienced gamers). 

Thanks

Follow up question!  I was telling my friend that we got it right and he had another question.

Melee squad is in 3" range of the mech (ie following a CC attack etc) and the mech is able to bear his weapons (or use the MG etc) on the squad and declares an attack action.  The melee squad responds with a close combat attack for the reaction.

Does this invoke the close combat attack rule that only close combat weapons can be used by both units or can the mech still fire its normal weapons that are resolved at the same time as the CC attack?

Wolvan said:

Melee squad is in 3" range of the mech (ie following a CC attack etc) and the mech is able to bear his weapons (or use the MG etc) on the squad and declares an attack action.  The melee squad responds with a close combat attack for the reaction.

Does this invoke the close combat attack rule that only close combat weapons can be used by both units or can the mech still fire its normal weapons that are resolved at the same time as the CC attack?

In this case the attack was initiated by a ranged weapon, not a close combat weapon. The ranged weapons fire as normal, and your squad can react with it's CC attack.

On a similar note, what happens when…

A unit that already has a reaction token decides to attack in the unit phase, targets a unit that is within 12inches and the target unit reacts, attacking the initiating unit and causing supression.

Does the original attacking unit now lose the ability to attack as it now has a reaction and supression token or does it still get to attack as the attack was declared before it gained the supression?

felkor said:

If suppression is received during a unit's activation, it does not affect that activation.

This is correct, and becomes an even more important concept during a combo move/shoot action where your opponent shoots you as a reaction to your first action. You still get your second action even if their reactive shooting causes you to gain a suppression marker. 

Page 47, Suppression and Reactions Rule, second sentence reads…

"If a unit is activated and becomes suppressed by a reaction from an enemy unit, it still completes its activation as normal. Units determine their number of actions at the beginning of the activation (after rolling to remove Suppression markers) and do not, therefore, lose an action if suppressed during their activation."