Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MarthWMaster

Pod-building Mechanic: Do you like it?

38 posts in this topic

I want to get a read on how many are for, and how many are opposed, to the pod-based deckbuilding mechanic of this game. Please, do not elaborate on your response beyond a simple "yes" or "no," as this has been allowed in previous "poll-taking" topics and proven to do nothing but dilute the thread with discussion and arguing. Said discussions and arguments are available in other threads, to engage in at your convenience.

Yes.  I believe it has promise(especially because I take forever to assemble and build decks).

No, with a caveat. If they eventually have enough objectives with overlapping card sets, maybe. In other words, if there are enough objectives that give you ways to mix cards up in almost any combination.

I'll chime in:

Yes. And I was swayed to this opinion after being staunchly opposed, at approximately 2:57 p.m. CT today (thank you, Budgernaut!).

I will answer this question after 1 year of releases.  At that time I think I will be able to adequate decide if I like it or not (specifically when I have many pods to choose from when building decks)

Budgernaut said:

I posted in the wrong thread. Please ignore.

But, how can I just ignore this ill-placed comment? I mean, how can you just post here and ask me to just move on with my life? What ARE You, the Thought Police?!?

Dobbler's response is the most sensible one, but my knee-jerk reaction is positive. Anything that makes deckbuilding simpler will lower barriers to entry and allow new players to enjoy the full game experience that much easier.

Also, as I've said elsewhere, I think the pod system could allow FFG to maintain balance and mitigate the effects of power creep in SWLCG fairly easily. We'll see if the company actually does so, but it could be a huge boon to parity.

I'm excited about it- I'm always willing to give something new a chance, and this could be a very interesting way of doing things.

No i dont, I dont like that they r forcing decks on us, one of the fun things about customizable card games is well, customizing. I like the challenge of creating decks that can decimate an opponent. Now my friend who I will be playing with likes the idea cuz hes lazy and doesnt like building  decks lol. But yeah, I may end up playing x-wing more then this at this point.

I say "Cool, I'll try a new mechanic." I find it hard to find a lot of opponents (although there is a tournament scene down in Portland I am interested in checking out), which means I'm more casual and am not too concerned about it. I'll pick up the core set at least, and go from there.

The way I see it if they went back to the drawing board once already (and lost a little face) they are dedicated to making a great game.

yagyu said:

No i dont, I dont like that they r forcing decks on us, one of the fun things about customizable card games is well, customizing. I like the challenge of creating decks that can decimate an opponent. Now my friend who I will be playing with likes the idea cuz hes lazy and doesnt like building  decks lol. But yeah, I may end up playing x-wing more then this at this point.

So with no idea how the actual "Pod Mechanic" will work overall,  you feel comfortable making that assessment?  I mean we literally knowing nothing except that the Objectives you choose will have some direct effect on your deck.  We don't know how strict (OBJ 1 comes with cards A, B, C) or how loose (OBJ 1 comes with cards A, B, C, D, E, F pick 3) that effect will be.  So how exactly does anyone feel comfortable giving any sort of opinion on the matter at this point?

ScottieATF said:

So with no idea how the actual "Pod Mechanic" will work overall,  you feel comfortable making that assessment?  I mean we literally knowing nothing except that the Objectives you choose will have some direct effect on your deck.  We don't know how strict (OBJ 1 comes with cards A, B, C) or how loose (OBJ 1 comes with cards A, B, C, D, E, F pick 3) that effect will be.  So how exactly does anyone feel comfortable giving any sort of opinion on the matter at this point?

Because they've said that you pick an objective and that objective has 5 cards that go with it into your deck. They made that very clear. Now, they may change it between now and then, so, yeah it's a bit too soon to judge. But, based on what they've told us, I feel comfortable with the assessment at this point in time.