Sign in to follow this  
KjetilKverndokken

Shipping ETM

Space Monkey said:

Just got home from work and checked the tracking number with both Parcelforce and Royal Mail. They have no record of this tracking number. So on the off chance I checked with USPS again and (no surprises) it still states that it's sat in Chicago.

I am rapidly losing my patience.

Did you not read the bit at the bottom of the page for the tracking?

"Note: Status information may be provided while the package is enroute, but it is not a regular feature of the service."

My great US friend who got this for me (before I realized they would take international orders) shipped the book out to me yesterday-afternoon!!! It's on its way to the Netherlands right now!!!

Inksplat said:

"Note: Status information may be provided while the package is enroute, but it is not a regular feature of the service."

When I click on the tracking link in my Inbox it takes me to a page on the Stamps.com website that says no such thing anywhere on the tracking page. But thank you anyway for being so condescending.

You do know that once it leaves the USA the chances of the website tracking info being updated is somewhere between slim and none?  

According to both Stamps.com and the USPS website my parcel is still at O'Hare in Chicago.  However, it was delivered by Royal Mail yesterday.  Your copy will turn up eventually, just be patient.

Been meaning to register here to get in on the discussion of EotE.  (Very excited about it!)

I live in Ontario, ordered the Beta on August 19, emailed on the 23rd to ask when it would ship, received Mark Larson's response about GenCon, number of orders, etc.  Then I received TWO emails from FFG - one later that day and the other on the 24th - saying that it had shipped.

I've been checking the Stamps.com site since then.  It's indicated "Accept or Pickup" in St. Paul MN since the 24th.  I understand that as a (somewhat) international order, I might not get any tracking info after it leaves the US, but I'm wondering if it's gone anywhere yet.

Anyone have any experience with this so far?  (Maybe other customers in Canada?)

Space Monkey said:

Inksplat said:

When I click on the tracking link in my Inbox it takes me to a page on the Stamps.com website that says no such thing anywhere on the tracking page. But thank you anyway for being so condescending.

My tracking link takes me to stamps.com as well, where it does say exactly what I quoted at the bottom of the page. Maybe your page is different, but since you're using the USPS option, just like I was, that would be strange.

Asimovian said:

Anyone have any experience with this so far?  (Maybe other customers in Canada?)

My experience is that I could track my package as far as Chicago, from the USPS website. After that, I could track it from my local postal service's website using the same tracking number.

After I received the package here, I noticed that the USPS website had updated to display the full process.

To Inksplat:

Then it is indeed strange because I'm staring at the page right now and it mentions nothing anywhere (bottom, top, off to the left a little) about which you mentioned. What more can I say? It simply isn't there.

All it mentions is a main title of Confirm Shipment Status, followed by 3 boxes: Shipment Information, Confirmation, and Scan History. Then there's some advert for Stamps.com on the right about selling books.

The bottom of the page consists of the usual site stuff: Company Info, Site Map, Privacy Policy etc. with 4 icons at the very bottom: Facebook, Twitter, Youtube and Google+

And that's pretty much it.

P.S. Why do I get the impression I'm being called a liar :(

Asimovian said:

I ship via USPS International Priority Mail to Canada and Europe quite often. Basically, the tracking data ends in the US, usually with just one entry. Sometimes there is a note about it being checked into outgoing Customs, but that's it. The Customs and Mail Services of other countries are not tied into the USPS tracking system. My experience is that, once you see that date in the tracking system, you can count on it being 4 - 10 days depending on destination. Unfortunately there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it either. I've sent stuff from Ohio across the border to Toronto, and it can take 10 days. A package I sent to the UK on the same day can be there in 5. I've had stuff that goes to Germany or Italy, and it's taken more than 30!

The holdup is usually Customs on the other side, but I will say that books (like this) usually have little or no delay at all. Unfortunately, even with tracking, the sender and the customer are blind. Only FedEx, UPS and DHL provide end to end tracking, but that could be as much as the book itself.

Space Monkey said:

Just got home from work and checked the tracking number with both Parcelforce and Royal Mail. They have no record of this tracking number. So on the off chance I checked with USPS again and (no surprises) it still states that it's sat in Chicago.

I am rapidly losing my patience.

This is why I always, always, go with UPS rather than USPS - the first is always great for keeping you up to date, where as the second is awful, and it's often delayed on being passed from USPS to ParcelFarce (typo intended).

Hence why I ordered other books along with my Star Wars RPG one, so then I could pick UPS over USPS.

Managed to make my order on Monday night, and it's being dispatched today hopefully (according to my e-mail), and UPS gets it to me in 2-3 days, so I should have it on Monday or Tuesday.

just got mine in the mail after a little over a week being shipped, so it wasn't too bad for me.  I paged through the book and none of the pages are missing and i got the dice sticker sheet as well.  I'll start to read through it as soon as possible to try to call out any mistakes and post any questions i have in the forums.

Slaunyeh said:

My experience is that I could track my package as far as Chicago, from the USPS website. After that, I could track it from my local postal service's website using the same tracking number.

After I received the package here, I noticed that the USPS website had updated to display the full process.

rsaintjohn said:

I ship via USPS International Priority Mail to Canada and Europe quite often. Basically, the tracking data ends in the US, usually with just one entry. Sometimes there is a note about it being checked into outgoing Customs, but that's it. The Customs and Mail Services of other countries are not tied into the USPS tracking system. My experience is that, once you see that date in the tracking system, you can count on it being 4 - 10 days depending on destination. Unfortunately there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it either. I've sent stuff from Ohio across the border to Toronto, and it can take 10 days. A package I sent to the UK on the same day can be there in 5. I've had stuff that goes to Germany or Italy, and it's taken more than 30!

The holdup is usually Customs on the other side, but I will say that books (like this) usually have little or no delay at all. Unfortunately, even with tracking, the sender and the customer are blind. Only FedEx, UPS and DHL provide end to end tracking, but that could be as much as the book itself.

Thanks for the info, guys.  This is actually reassuring.  I'm about to head home from work, and once agin, I'll be looking at our front hall table with great anticipation.  (Jeez I love Star Wars!)

MILLANDSON said:

This is why I always, always, go with UPS rather than USPS - the first is always great for keeping you up to date, where as the second is awful, and it's often delayed on being passed from USPS to ParcelFarce (typo intended).

I've never actually been able to get any packages from UPS. They don't deliver on weekends, and somehow they expect me to quit my job and sit around at home waiting for them. And if I miss a delivery, I have to call them up and arrange another delivery (again, middle of the day on a week day) or somehow find my way to a warehouse in the middle of nowhere to pick it up manually. I don't understand how you can run a business like that.

Sometimes online stores will ship stuff through UPS (or similar services) without letting you know in advance, and so far my only option when they do that is to just let UPS return the item to the sender, and find somewhere else to order it from.

The postal services can be all kinds of crap, but at least I always get my package eventually. :)

Aaaaanyway, *ahem* I think I got a bit sidetracked, there.

Slaunyeh said:

MILLANDSON said:

I've never actually been able to get any packages from UPS. They don't deliver on weekends, and somehow they expect me to quit my job and sit around at home waiting for them. And if I miss a delivery, I have to call them up and arrange another delivery (again, middle of the day on a week day) or somehow find my way to a warehouse in the middle of nowhere to pick it up manually. I don't understand how you can run a business like that.

Sometimes online stores will ship stuff through UPS (or similar services) without letting you know in advance, and so far my only option when they do that is to just let UPS return the item to the sender, and find somewhere else to order it from.

The postal services can be all kinds of crap, but at least I always get my package eventually. :)

Where as I have never once had a problem with UPS, their depot is about 15 minutes walk from my place (so even if I miss the delivery, I can go pick it up easily), and my girlfriend is always in the house, so she can answer the door to sign for it.

Meanwhile, USPS has lost parcels before (and couldn't find them due to lack of tracking numbers), taken 3 weeks to deliver a parcel on a few occasions, and have held onto parcels and demanded a handling fee before delivering it to me before - they're the worst postal service I've ever had the misfortune to use, and if I have the option, I'll never use them.

Slaunyeh said:

MILLANDSON said:

I put in my work address for them to deliver to.  It's cheaper on shipping then your home address, and you'll be there to get it.

Best part of working for UPS, getting your delivery before the trucks leave the docks- sometimes the night before scheduled delivery if it gets to my building the day before… ok, not really the best part… but i did get my beta this way today and that made my friday/weekend!

Jegergryte said:

Arrived today. Got home from the university and behold! In my mailbox was a paper slip! 5 days before my birthday even, great news! babeo.gif

Same here, kinda - got my copy on Monday, and found out today that I passed my Masters in Law with Merit (60-69% mark)! gran_risa.gif