Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NathanPButler

Beta - Continuity

17 posts in this topic

For what it's worth, I've consulted on Star Wars publications like the Essential Atlas and have seen my comprehensive fandom timeline used by authors as a writing resource when working on Star Wars projects. I'll be reading through the beta rulebook with a particular eye toward continuity. It would be nice if we also had some other beta players heavily steeped in continuity that might join in this effort.  Any other heavy continuity folks planning on doing a continuity sweep through the beta?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NathanPButler said:

For what it's worth, I've consulted on Star Wars publications like the Essential Atlas and have seen my comprehensive fandom timeline used by authors as a writing resource when working on Star Wars projects. I'll be reading through the beta rulebook with a particular eye toward continuity. It would be nice if we also had some other beta players heavily steeped in continuity that might join in this effort.  Any other heavy continuity folks planning on doing a continuity sweep through the beta?

Aye!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I can't help but do that too… although I try to make certain that the other fan boys in my games know that they are MY games, which can be though for some. : )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I end up getting the beta, or more likely a friend gets a copy, I will absolutely join in on the Continuity Crusade.

Frankly, I'm more concerned with emulating the themes and mood of Star Wars through rules/illustrations/presentation in general. If the GM knows his canon and the players do as well, any session can be within canon. But if the products helps to simulate the setting's feel etc, that would go a long way in my book.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Nathan, I'm in as well!!!! (Got some very nice US connections to get me one of these Beta-thingies!!!!) I am quite excited about the return of the RPG!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not to be a downer, but FFG did state in the Beta's product description:

Eddie1969 said:

However, it is important to note that some of the elements in this beta are not representative of the final product. Much of the art and background material has been removed to provide a more concise playtesting experience.

So it doesn't look like there'll be much to do in the way of continuity proof-reading

A shame. Esp since I'm rather concerned about the art. High production value does not necessarily translate into art that gets the "feel" right. And so far I'm not impressed by the few samples we've seen. Technically fine, but missing that elusive Star Wars tone, at least to my eye. I for one am hoping either I've seen bad examples, or the art changes drastically between now and final product.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

theDevilofWormwood said:

[Apologies to Eddie1969 for the typo.  Can we still not edit posts on this forum?]

 

Hah, that's OK, don't worry about it… Anyway, I DID mention that on my website, so technically… you're right…  ;) 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it was up to me there would be a continuity re-set. Unfortunately this RPG is presumably going to have to make reference to the non-sensical junk that has been created in the past 15 or so years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

borithan said:

If it was up to me there would be a continuity re-set. Unfortunately this RPG is presumably going to have to make reference to the non-sensical junk that has been created in the past 15 or so years.

To what nonsensical junk do you refer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can use the the word "EDIT" in the white line above your post to edit. gui%C3%B1o.gif

I am in for checking, though I would probably notice anyway if something was fishy.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

awayputurwpn said:

borithan said:

 

If it was up to me there would be a continuity re-set. Unfortunately this RPG is presumably going to have to make reference to the non-sensical junk that has been created in the past 15 or so years.

 

 

To what nonsensical junk do you refer?

Prequel trilogy. Clone Wars series. Almost all the novels linked to them. The Star Wars universe was irreparably damaged since the release of the Phantom Menace. Ok, I accept many like it, but when thinking about running a Star Wars game I am personally have decided I will be retconning the prequel trilogy out of existence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been a continuity nerd for a long, long time, having devoured the timelines and chronologies of some of the members here for hours on end  (thanks for keeping me busy ).  But I have got to say that over the past couple of years I have realised that continuity actually means less and less outside of the 6 films,  I have started thinking of the myriad of EU material tied to the star wars galaxy as parallels to the stories told of the Knights of the round table and the arthurian legends. 

We all pretty much agree that some things happened, the clone wars, the rise of the empire etc, but do the details actually matter, do they not change in the telling much like the tales of Arthur, Lancelot and the ever changeing Merlin?  

Surely an RPG is the best place to break the shackles of continuity and use the star wars galaxy to tell our own stories and make our own legends.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BrashFink said:

 

You can use the the word "EDIT" in the white line above your post to edit. gui%C3%B1o.gif

I am in for checking, though I would probably notice anyway if something was fishy.

 

 

 

I see no EDIT button…sad.gif

 

OOOHH I see, it only appears if yours is the last post. So you gotta get in there quick happy.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

lupex said:

I've been a continuity nerd for a long, long time, having devoured the timelines and chronologies of some of the members here for hours on end  (thanks for keeping me busy ).  But I have got to say that over the past couple of years I have realised that continuity actually means less and less outside of the 6 films,  I have started thinking of the myriad of EU material tied to the star wars galaxy as parallels to the stories told of the Knights of the round table and the arthurian legends. 

We all pretty much agree that some things happened, the clone wars, the rise of the empire etc, but do the details actually matter, do they not change in the telling much like the tales of Arthur, Lancelot and the ever changeing Merlin?  

Surely an RPG is the best place to break the shackles of continuity and use the star wars galaxy to tell our own stories and make our own legends.

Ay-men, brotha'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

awayputurwpn said:

 

I see no EDIT button…sad.gif

 

OOOHH I see, it only appears if yours is the last post. So you gotta get in there quick happy.gif

Oh wow… you're right. You cannot edit old ones… but that is fine, I mean usually when I edit it is something I missed right when I posted it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0