Sign in to follow this  
KommissarK

Is this the Star Wars Roleplaying game we're looking for?

Venthrac said:

I just love the title of this thread.

I must stress this:

In creating this thread, I was hard pressed to come up with a catchy phrase that tied into the movies, some iconic line, that still dealt with the RPG. This was actually a crappy attempt at getting the "first post" in a new message board, while still keeping on topic. A friend of mine actually came up with it, but it was more of a joke reference to the movies. Nothing to do with the actual question it seems to now be posing.

That it has spawned this discussion is entirely a fluke. I was about to make the thread titled "Look at the size of that thing…" or "I have a… good feeling about this?" I mean, I'm actually reasonably excited about a new RPG line. Saga was/is great, if only as existing as D&D 3.75 Sci-Fi edition (fixing what I disliked in 3.5 while not being too MMOish like 4e turned out to be). That one of my favorite, complete RPG campaigns was handled in Saga edition is just gravy (an Old Republic game where the party was tasked by the Republic to sway a border planet to leave the Sith Empire, the party consisting of a bothan pilot, a quarren mercenary/bounty hunter, and an arkanian noble/slicer. Ended with the party dropping a thermite bomb on the sith base, and capturing a sith cruiser while disguised as a Gizka pest control team).

to vent--> i put down my drink, tap my aqualish drinking buddy's ear to make sure his translator is not working, then i tell him you said that you dont like him

:)

Venthrac said:

Meesa acceptin' dis chance to playtest Edge of the Empire with moi moi humility…

Venthrac, that was THE best post of the thread!

Meesa like dis'.  Maybe wessa bein' friends.

Yancy

Alpha Chaos 13 said:

Split parties do happen, but I will concede the point. That being said, it was an example & I think the option should still be present to the players. As for Luke, I'm thinking in an RPG context, rather than the use of the title "Jedi". I would say that he was a Jedi (character class) in Episode 4, when he left his old life behind & began learning from Kenobi. Luke is a good representation of an RPG character. We meet him at a low level and watch him grow & improve, becoming much more powerful as time goes on. I'd say no other Star Wars character is a better example of an RPGish progression than Luke.

No arguments, there, but (as I mentioned in another thread) using the rules in Edge of the Empire you could easily build Luke all the way up through his training with Yoda and arguably up through the end of Episode VI. For the latter you might need to add in some powers to explain his leaping, but that's about it. So Edge of the Empire fulfills your criteria of having a Luke-like character in your campaign.

Venthrac said:

I just love the title of this thread.

I mean, it is so darn slippery. I would love to know exactly who "we" is. Does the OP mean himself and me? Or himself and other people? Does he mean the entire Star Wars RPG community? Or does he mean players of only the most recent game?

I don't know! It's madness!

It would probably be more clear and sensible if he'd titled it "Is this the Star Wars Roleplaying game I'm looking for?" 

Perhaps he means the royal we,  meaning him only.

GoblynByte said:

Alpha Chaos 13 said:

Split parties do happen, but I will concede the point. That being said, it was an example & I think the option should still be present to the players. As for Luke, I'm thinking in an RPG context, rather than the use of the title "Jedi". I would say that he was a Jedi (character class) in Episode 4, when he left his old life behind & began learning from Kenobi. Luke is a good representation of an RPG character. We meet him at a low level and watch him grow & improve, becoming much more powerful as time goes on. I'd say no other Star Wars character is a better example of an RPGish progression than Luke.

No arguments, there, but (as I mentioned in another thread) using the rules in Edge of the Empire you could easily build Luke all the way up through his training with Yoda and arguably up through the end of Episode VI. For the latter you might need to add in some powers to explain his leaping, but that's about it. So Edge of the Empire fulfills your criteria of having a Luke-like character in your campaign.

Cool. As I have not seen the rules, I was going on the release outline FFG gave "us".