Sign in to follow this  
billkell2

Radiant Light - Rules Question

The Disciple's Radiant Light reads:

"Action: Roll 1 red power die. Each hero in your line of sight (including yourself) recovers the amount of [health] rolled. Each monster in your line of sight suffers the amount of [health] rolled."

As the Overlord, I interpreted this as only one line of sight.

The Heroes interpreted the "Radiant" to mean any and all lines of sight.

Which is correct?

As a follow-up, we all agreed that the distance for the line of sight continues as far as it can go uninterrupted (i.e. distance is never checked). Is this correct?

Line of sight is not directional dependent.  So imagine that your hero with radiant light could swivel his head 360 degrees.  Anything and everything he can see uninterrupted is within his line of sight and effected by this skill.

billkell said:

The Disciple's Radiant Light reads:

"Action: Roll 1 red power die. Each hero in your line of sight (including yourself) recovers the amount of [health] rolled. Each monster in your line of sight suffers the amount of [health] rolled."

As the Overlord, I interpreted this as only one line of sight.

The Heroes interpreted the "Radiant" to mean any and all lines of sight.

Which is correct?

As a follow-up, we all agreed that the distance for the line of sight continues as far as it can go uninterrupted (i.e. distance is never checked). Is this correct?

If it were only 1 line of sight, it could only ever target one hero OR one monster, and line of sight is drawn from one model to another.

The inclusion of the word "each" implies attempting to draw line of sight to every figure, the power affecting each that LoS is successfully drawn to.

KristoffStark said:

If it were only 1 line of sight, it could only ever target one hero OR one monster, and line of sight is drawn from one model to another.

Actually, LoS is drawn corner to corner in 2e, which means you could theoretically hit up to 3 figures along "one line of sight" as long as all three were positioned in adjacent spaces that shared a single corner, and you had LoS to that corner.

That said, I do agree with the posters above that the ability is not meant to be applied only in one direction.  "Line of Sight" is an omnidirectional area defined by all the spaces your figure can draw an uninterrupted line to, regardless of range.  That fact that most attacks in the game require you to pick a single space within that area to target does not change the general definition of LoS.

The thing that limits most effects to one direction is the requirement to pick a single target space.  A single space can only lie in one direction relative to your figure, obviously.  Radiant Light does not require that.

While monster attacks cannot target or affect a knocked out hero, hero players may only target a knocked out hero with an ability that would allow the knocked out hero to recover any amount of damage. For this exception, the knocked out hero’s hero token is treated as a hero even if another figure occupies the space containing the hero token.

^page 15, base game rulebook. I added the bold. Short answer- no, that will not block it. However, having a figure BETWEEN the disciple and the hero token (completely blocking line of sight to that space) will block radiant light.

Edited by Zaltyre

Thx ! another question:

If a Bard stand up by himself , did he start up his class skill about the songs ? 

The wording of your question is a little confusing, but if I understand what you're asking, then yes.

The bard always retains the song tokens he has on his song cards when he's knocked out, and the songs will automatically start working again once he recovers, whether by a Stand Up action, or a Revive action from another hero.

So, if for example, the bard has the Treble and Base song tokens on the Song of Mending when he's knocked out, then if he stands up on the following turn, he will immediately also recover 1 heart and 1 fatigue within 3 spaces at the end of the turn he stands up on.

Edited by Charmy

Charmy is correct- however, it should be noted that while the bard is knocked out, even though his tokens may still be on song of mending, they don't do anything. That is, at the end of the bard's turn, if he is still knocked out, no one recovers anything.

Charmy is correct- however, it should be noted that while the bard is knocked out, even though his tokens may still be on song of mending, they don't do anything. That is, at the end of the bard's turn, if he is still knocked out, no one recovers anything.

Yep! Another subtle 'gotcha' with the bard is that the Song of Mending heals all heroes including himself with the melody effect, but the harmony effect only restore stamina for all other heroes. A friend of mine just noticed that the other day! Makes the bard a bit less powerful, but its still the best 4-hero healer in the game in my opinion :D

Edited by Charmy

Yep! Another subtle 'gotcha' with the bard is that the Song of Mending heals all heroes including himself with the melody effect, but the harmony effect only restore stamina for all other heroes. A friend of mine just noticed that the other day! Makes the bard a bit less powerful, but its still the best 4-hero healer in the game in my opinion :D

I'm not sure I agree about the bard being the best. It's certainly powerful, and I'd rate it higher than the prophet, but there are some significant pluses to using a disciple or apothecary. It's going to depend on composition and the encounters.

While there are certainly times and places when the disciple or the apothecary outshines the bard, I don't think anyone beats him as a radial healer pverall. The combination of song of mending with cacaphony (useful for understudy) or with concentration is great for giving a boost to everyone for very little cost- and it's even more useful when he's recovering fatigue for his teammates. In a 2 or 3 hero party, these differences are much more negligible- but in a 4 hero party, the bard is definitely a healer worth fearing.