Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
VaultDweller

From the core rules…future LARGE units!

110 posts in this topic

herozeromes said:

I think that the Millennium Falcon with Han Solo and Chewie (Multiple crew members should be possible, no?).

Were the Falcon to be released I think the pilots would probably Han and Lando primarily (EU not withstanding) but co-pilots, added similarly to upgrades would be Chewie, Leia, etc.

Also the Falcon has 2 turrets, as well as forward batteries and missiles/torpedoes of various colours, shields, signal jamming equipment (potential to disrupt or prevent enemy upgrades or talents at a certain range).  Guns, guns guns!  Especially if crewed to the hilt like the battle of Endor.

As for Slave 1, how many available weapons/upgrades?  Episode II showed what the early model had under the bonnet (or hood for US) and Fett the younger added even more.  Including a cloaking device I think I read somewhere.

Anyhow, the way the points look for the current starfighters, could these two potentially get pretty close to 100 individually?

Nalydd said:

Anyhow, the way the points look for the current starfighters, could these two potentially get pretty close to 100 individually?

I could totally see that happening.

Budgernaut said:

Nalydd said:

I could totally see that happening.

Well, the Falcon fully stocked could theoretically take on a whole squad of TIEs

Hamlet23 said:

If done in the same scale, the B-wing will dwarf the other fighters. 

A B-Wing is 16.9 meters long, only about 4 meters longer than an X-Wing.  The model should only be 62.5 mm.  That's along the long end, cockpit to cannons.  It's big, but may still may fit in the blisters.

Nalydd said:

herozeromes said:

I think that the Millennium Falcon with Han Solo and Chewie (Multiple crew members should be possible, no?).

Were the Falcon to be released I think the pilots would probably Han and Lando primarily (EU not withstanding) but co-pilots, added similarly to upgrades would be Chewie, Leia, etc.

Also the Falcon has 2 turrets, as well as forward batteries and missiles/torpedoes of various colours, shields, signal jamming equipment (potential to disrupt or prevent enemy upgrades or talents at a certain range).  Guns, guns guns!  Especially if crewed to the hilt like the battle of Endor.

As for Slave 1, how many available weapons/upgrades?  Episode II showed what the early model had under the bonnet (or hood for US) and Fett the younger added even more.  Including a cloaking device I think I read somewhere.

I imagine that the ship would be a YT-1300, if you choose Han as the pilot, then you have the milenum falcon.  The Falcon isn't a type of ship it is a specific ship.  It is highly midified, but that could be handled with upgrade cards.  Remember the ion cannons on a y-wing are upgrandes.

On a similar note I imagine that FFG may release a Flamespirt (I could be wrong on the ship type) if you take Boba or maybe even Jango.

Hrathen said:

Nalydd said:

herozeromes said:

I imagine that the ship would be a YT-1300, if you choose Han as the pilot, then you have the milenum falcon.  The Falcon isn't a type of ship it is a specific ship.  It is highly midified, but that could be handled with upgrade cards.  Remember the ion cannons on a y-wing are upgrandes.

On a similar note I imagine that FFG may release a Flamespirt (I could be wrong on the ship type) if you take Boba or maybe even Jango.

A Firespray, but same idea, yes. I agree that it would be released as a YT-1300 freighter, but at this point, I'm cool with just calling it the Millennium Falcon, since we don't run around saying Incom T-65 X-wing starfighter. Slightly different situation, I know, but same difference.

generic freighters and shuttles would be useful

also bearing in mind the first part of the x wing alliance game you fly yt1300 freighters. a good 3rd faction for x wing would be smugglers and spice runners etc.

The difference between releasing an x-wing model and releasing a Milenium Falcon model, is that there is only one Milenium Falcon, it is a specific YT-1300 light freighter.  And there could be lots of use for a non-Milenium Falcon YT-1300 freighter in the game.  Not only that, but with pilot and other upgrades it would be very easy to turn the generic YT-1300 into the Milenium Falcon by adding Han (or even Lando) as the pilot, adding (possibly two) turret upgrades and maybe some Concusion missiles.  

Yes, this is true. But I really believe that most people who say, "I hope they release the Millennium Falcon" aren't excluding a generic freighter, just as long as said pack includes Han Solo piloting the Millennium Falcon. I totally agree it will be marketed as a YT-1300, but for the sake of simplicity, we can consider that product as synonymous with the Millennium Falcon. 

The Millenium Falcon it is suposed to be a greatly upgraded YT-1300 freighter, not just in terms of weaponry but also in speed, agility, shields, and maybe even hull durability. If an hypotetical future "Light Freighter Expansion Pack" would give us the options to choose between deploying an "standard" light freighter or the Falcon, I wonder if this would mean the introduction of "crew cards" representing Han Solo, Lando Calrissian and Chewbacca, or the Falcon would be considered to be piloted always by Han Solo. The introduction of "crew cards" would be a departure from the actual model, where a pilot is attached to an specific fighter.

It would also be interesting to introduce "upgrade cards" that could be used to upgrade an standard light freighter (things like "Reinforced Hull", "Additional Retro Thrusters", "Improved Engines", "Vortex Grenade Detonator"…  whoops, wrong game). Although I'm not sure that this could be feasible. ¿What would be the limit of "upgrade cards" to be attached to a freighter? ¿Would be the Falcon represented with its own card, or would be it considered a freighter with a lot of upgrade and crew cards attached?

I would think different cards would be fine.  If they did it like WoW, it would be a bigger card, with multiple weapon firing points.  They did that with the bombers when they came out and it seemed to work fine.  Han's pilot card would just be all-around better than the stock freighter's pilot card.  You could represent additional shielding, hull and weaponry there.  The tricky part might be the maneuver dial (but then again, maybe not).  The Falcon's speed is rated the same as an X-Wing, at 80 MGLT.  One might assume that a regular freighter is less than that though.  Perhaps multiple dials would be included for the different ships.

the fairly recent millenium falcon novel looks at the history of the craft from creation to approx 40yr ABY, including all its other names and owners. the main upgrade I can remember from reading this is a super high tech trinity droid brain. i think the weapon and shield upgrades were fairly minor, most of the upgrades were to do with going faster and being a lot more manouverable.

Also you gotta bear in mind that the yt1300 was known for being easily customisable to suit the owners needs.

I would imagine if ffg made one it would look like the millenium falcon, and I think it may have double pilot cards, for example han and chewie, lando and nien numb etc. Or maybes a pilot/copilot system where you put 2 halfs of one big card together to get the stats for the ship.

My guess is that it either ends up with single cards representing 1-2 pilots (eg a generic freighter pilot card, a Han and Chewie card, or a Lando and Nien Numb card) or they create a "co-pilot" upgrade similar to how X-wings and Y-wings can get astromech droids (so the generic pilot might not have a co-pilot slot, but Han and Lando would and there would be a Chewie upgrade card that gave some benefit).  Extra upgrade slots could also be present on the Han card to allow for other upgrades that would make it the Falcon.  Those just seem like the simplest ways to accomplish it within the current system to me.

There are enough pilot/co-pilot combos available to the ship that the Millennium Falcon should get its own bubble. Yeah, they could do a YT-1200 with upgrades available, but it would be simpler if those were just part of the ship card. Plus, I want a mini of the Falcon, paint job, scorch marks and all. I could do these things to customize the model but not everyone has experience painting fine details on small models. The other thing to remember is that the tournament rules allow customization, but a tournament organizer has discretion to disqualify any customized model if he/she so chooses.

Anybody else wonder whether a Falcon (or YT-1300 for that matter) in this scale would be feasible at all, with the base and pegs and whatnot? It's three times as long as an X-Wing…

I guess it would require entirely different engineering? Having a larger base would mean it'd get a "bonus movement" every time it changes position, having a small one would mean it'd be prone to toppling over, and collisions with other ships would have to be handled somehow as well…

I like the passanger (crew?) upgrade idea.  That could work too when we get 2-seater Y-wings.  (Clone wars at the least.)  I would want each character to be a seperate cards.  

I also fully expect that in order to sell the most of these possibily $100 ships they would make it look like the Falcon.  That way collectors as well as players will buy it.  If they included cards for a generic YT-1300, that would be just gravy.  

Thanks,

Duncan

haslo said:

I guess it would require entirely different engineering? Having a larger base would mean it'd get a "bonus movement" every time it changes position, having a small one would mean it'd be prone to toppling over, and collisions with other ships would have to be handled somehow as well…

You could have an H shaped base, where the cross piece was the size of the current bases and the legs were angled out so that templates would fit.  The one that I would worry about is a Turn-1, but that easily left off the maneuver dial and makes sense for a ship of this size to not support that maneuver.

On the perspective of larger units.  I'm hoping now that while they'll be selling the expected product, they might have some protos of expansion ships at GenCon.

The whole 'YT-1300 / Falcon' debate could be moot.  Show a picture of a YT-1300 freighter to pretty much anybody who has seen Star Wars and they'd identify it as the Falcon.  It's only the borderline hardcore or more knowledgeable of Star Wars fans that would say it's a YT-1300.

As for the Slave 1/ Firespray debacle, didn't Jango destroy all of the other Firespray prototypes therefore rendering Slave 1 the ONLY Firespray in existence?

Considering that  the Falcon and Slave 1 are, let's say, 'character' ships I speculate that the models for this game could be so called but cards for the generic bases for these craft would be included.

Nalydd said:

The whole 'YT-1300 / Falcon' debate could be moot.  Show a picture of a YT-1300 freighter to pretty much anybody who has seen Star Wars and they'd identify it as the Falcon.  It's only the borderline hardcore or more knowledgeable of Star Wars fans that would say it's a YT-1300.

As for the Slave 1/ Firespray debacle, didn't Jango destroy all of the other Firespray prototypes therefore rendering Slave 1 the ONLY Firespray in existence?

Considering that  the Falcon and Slave 1 are, let's say, 'character' ships I speculate that the models for this game could be so called but cards for the generic bases for these craft would be included.

Kuat revived the line around the Battle of Yavin.  (Why do I know all this stuff?!?)

tiepilot1138 said:

Nalydd said:

Kuat revived the line around the Battle of Yavin.  (Why do I know all this stuff?!?)

(walking away from conversation muttering underbreath things about nerds, geeks and other such creatures)  gui%C3%B1o.gif

Aahzmandius_Karrde said:

haslo said:

You could have an H shaped base, where the cross piece was the size of the current bases and the legs were angled out so that templates would fit.  The one that I would worry about is a Turn-1, but that easily left off the maneuver dial and makes sense for a ship of this size to not support that maneuver.

On the perspective of larger units.  I'm hoping now that while they'll be selling the expected product, they might have some protos of expansion ships at GenCon.

I agree an H shaped base would make it very possible

The lead designer for the expansion packs confirmed today that the Falcon and Slave 1 are MEDIUM size ships. So what's bigger than the Falcon? This statement and other parts of the interview have me leaning towards frigates at least. Assuming they release 4 ships at a time and we know what wave 2 looks like wave 3 must be TIE Bomber, B-Wing, Lambda Shuttle, and ???  Assuming we stay in the classic trilogy and EU period what's next? Mon-cal, Neb-B?

I saw them, A-wings and TIE interceptors look cool, but basically what we expected.  The Falcon, and Slave one look awsome.  They are really big.