Sign in to follow this  
deadlyhammer

Anointed Weapons: Looking for advice

Let me first paint a picture. Our GM has a cool little rule: on a natural roll of 01, something spectacular happens. On a natural 100, something utterly horrible happens.

Well I rolled a 01 when getting my best craftsmanship sword Sanctified, so thus it became Anointed instead. It's Faith Power is that demons are -20 to parry/dodge. It does not yet have an appearance power. Cool! I still haven't used it though as I am a Noble Born Banisher Cleric who is better at talking and knowing stuff than shooting or stabbing. Our group is working for an Istvaanian Inquisitor. My cleric has already expressed his hesitancy for this kind of thinking, but being from the Drusian Chantry, I can be bent to her way of thinking with some creative RP. Also, we have not uncovered or even hinted at anything demon related, nor do I know if we will find any. I just like the idea of a Banisher.

After our most recent two session mission, I talked my GM into letting me roll to find a Lathe shield. That is the only way I could figure to make a shield invulnerable to being destroyed by a power field. I told him that if I found one, I wanted it to eventually become an anointed weapon as well, but the only Faith Power in the book that would apply to it would be the additional +15 to parry against demons. All the other Faith Powers are offensive in nature, not defensive. Well lo and behold, I rolled another 01.

So what I'm trying to come up with is something neat and characterful without being munchkin busted for their appearance powers. Again, my character is the primary social character along with some specific knowledge clusters. We are about to start Haarlock's Legacy, and I have no idea how much in the way demons will be present (please no spoilers!). I was thinking that the since the shield would have next to no use for an appearance power, would it be over the top to give the sword the 'Toxic' Appearance Power and have it usable against all demons/warpspawn? The drawback would be that if for whatever reason the weapons are separated, neither weapon has any Faith or Appearance power.

Sounds great, i like the idea of keeping them together. The first thing that came into my head was something about them being some kind of strong symbol for defence and that Imperials around them rally and stand up in defiance even against bad odds. Or you could have it as some kind of ward for whichever daemon could see itself in its polished reflection. Maybe it dazzles/blinds it temporarily or something. Though I agree with you on the point of not wanting to make it too powerful.

first and foremost, your poor little GM opened a can of worms as he got for this "01 = super-duper-good" thing. Their will be a lot of one…well, whatever steers your coffee….

Back2Topci: What could your annointend shield have in store for you?

Shielded by thee I shall not fear
The bearer of the shield reduced the FEAR of all enemies with the daemonic trait by ONE

Neither your claws nor your foulness shall reach my heart!
Spend one fate point to prevent one supernatural daemonic effect on your character once per combat

The Emperor Protects!
The wielder of the Shield gains one additional AP against all Psychic attacks which stacks with other armour.

The vile will shall be denied!
The Threshold of all Psychic Powers directly aimed against the bearer of the shield are increased by 2 (or 3?)

Blessed
All fatepoints spend to to improve defense roles are subject to the "Charmed" Trait (see Voidborn)

Gregorius21778 said:

first and foremost, your poor little GM opened a can of worms as he got for this "01 = super-duper-good" thing. Their will be a lot of one…well, whatever steers your coffee….

Back2Topci: What could your annointend shield have in store for you?

Shielded by thee I shall not fear
The bearer of the shield reduced the FEAR of all enemies with the daemonic trait by ONE

Neither your claws nor your foulness shall reach my heart!
Spend one fate point to prevent one supernatural daemonic effect on your character once per combat

The Emperor Protects!
The wielder of the Shield gains one additional AP against all Psychic attacks which stacks with other armour.

The vile will shall be denied!
The Threshold of all Psychic Powers directly aimed against the bearer of the shield are increased by 2 (or 3?)

Blessed
All fatepoints spend to to improve defense roles are subject to the "Charmed" Trait (see Voidborn)

You always come up with such good stuff! aplauso.gif

holy crap! there is so much awesome in that post! i will definitely print that off and talk to him about those.

as for the 01 and/or 100 rolls: its only on the natural roll, no fate re-rolls. and in the case of a 100, you cant fate point it away. so it has some internal balance for sure.

How about it deflecting part of the Daemonic Presence trait?

In the reflection of your glory I shall fear no evil

All those that can see the front of the shield do not suffer -10 to WP from the Daemonic Presence Trait.

In thy depths, true nature is revealed

Viewed by its reflection in the shield glamour/view altering/invisibility all fail (kinda like Perseus seeing Medusa reflected in his shield to avoid being turned to stone).