Sign in to follow this  
efrim black

My own Storage solution for Arkham's expansions

So I've seen that the general consensus appears to be that large suitcases are ideal, however I will rarely, if ever need to transport my game. So I was able to be a bit more stylistic with my choice of container.

I am posting my plan here to see if any of you guys have any ideas to spice it up, or better recommendations for the base container. I am going to order a wooden chest, so far this is the best looking one for my purposes. Here.

I want to burn an elder sign into the top, stain it with pigs blood, and varnish it to preserve it, then get an old fashioned padlock for extra effect.

Thoughts? additions? I haven't decided on how I will sort the inside yet but foamcore is always an option.

Looks okay, I would only get something like that if I knew I wasn't going to be transporting the game AT ALL. With 70% of all the expansions incorporated into my base game it was already hefty inside one box. Looking at the chest it would add considerable weight to it being wood and all, and to top it off it has those horrible horrible thin metal handles that hurt like a b**** when carrying around. Your plan does sound alright though, but I don't know how well staining it would go since this is a pre-made product that has a finish on it, unless you have experience doing stuff like that then it'll be easy. I'd just suggest you have no plans on transporting it.  

Personally I like the toolboxes, the big ones that have separate slots for everything and is ready to play just by opening it up. especially since when my group was very active I was hauling the **** brick case back n' forth from my home to school and back about 3 times a week, so me personally I wouldn't get anything like the chest, but others have been very happy with chests. Just make sure you get the dimensions right wouldn't want the board to not fit eeeek!! 

Essentially the only way I would be moving my game is if I actually move. I am almost always the host. So the box would probably never really move. Hence my choice of style over mobility. As for the finish, I intend to either rub/remove the finish from all of the box, or just wear away the top where I burn it to give the appearance of the top being assaulted by dark magics. I don't have a lot of woodworking experience but one of my players does and is helping me with it. I will probably post pictures of it in a couple of months when I finish.

Oh and that ebay item doesn't look very interesting to me, there is also no picture of the inside so I don't know if I'd drop 135 dollars on something like that.

schmoo34 said:

That says it holds all the expansions, but (among other things) the "medium container to hold location decks" seems to have space for only 15 decks. Last I counted, there were 19 location decks. Maybe it works, somehow, but I certainly wouldn't drop $162 (with shipping) on it based on those pictures.

When it comes to storage space-saving, the first thing creators need to do is stop thinking of Arkham Encounter decks as numbering 19.  There are SIX Encounter decks:

Upper Arkham (Northside, Downtown, Eastside)
Midtown Arkham (Merchant District, Rivertown, Miskatonic University)
Lower Arkham (French Hill, Uptown, Southside)
Dunwich
Kingsport
Innsmouth

When you draw for Encounters, you simply do it the same way you draw for Other Worlds: you keep drawing until you get the right color, but with these decks, the "color" is on the BACK of the card.  (And if you're Darrell, you just draw like you would for Gloria.)

All these decks, even with every card from every expansion, are easily manageable, even though they're larger.  (Frankly, it's easier to grab one of these decks than a puny 14-20 card lone neighborhood.)  It saves TONS of space on any table, and I bet it would save a pile of wood to make only 6 compartments instead of 15.

jgt7771 said:

All these decks, even with every card from every expansion, are easily manageable, even though they're larger.  (Frankly, it's easier to grab one of these decks than a puny 14-20 card lone neighborhood.)  It saves TONS of space on any table, and I bet it would save a pile of wood to make only 6 compartments instead of 15.

I use three 8-up business card racks to hold my encounter decks. All 19 encounter decks plus all of the small Investigator decks (I can fit three small decks in a single slot of the rack with some overlap) take up the space of about 9 decks laid flat on the table. I regularly fit all of my decks on a single TV tray this way. (Actually, that's not quite true: I put the Act cards, the Innsmouth Look deck, and the Dunwich Horror decks on the board in reasonable locations, though I could probably just leave the DH deck in the box for as little as it gets used.)

Also, a single neighborhood is either 34 (DH, KH, IH) or 39 (AH) cards if you're using all the expansions. A 117-card deck would start to get a bit unwieldy, especially since you need to shuffle it every time it's used.