Sign in to follow this  
Nojo509

Eldar PCs?

I see we're about to get rules for Dark Eldar PCs. What about craftworld Eldar? Or pirate Eldar? 

I've taken a break from Rogue Trader, but am thinking about getting back into it. Did I miss an Eldar supplement? Seems like a fan favorite, though the Dark Eldar might work for many players.

Thanks!

I agree with Plushy. There are so many people begging for an Eldar game on the Forums that there is obviously a built-in market for one; why wouldn't FFG take advantage of that?

I'm in the "they won't" camp too.

And why FFG wouldn't take advantage of that demand? I don't know. The same reason GW didn't release new Deathwatch kill team rules when the Deathwatch RPG came out, didn't release a Gabriel Angelos miniature when he became chapter master of the Blood Ravens at the end of Dawn of War II Retribution and still haven't released any female Cadian guardswomen even though there was an important one in Space Marine? Businesses make decisions that seem stupid to the customers all the time.

It also mightn't be a matter of choice. It could be that they want to, but are not allowed to. GW owns 40K after all, not FFG.

I really want a Ranger or Corsair profile for RT as well, but the DE Warrior is a good start. People should have lots of (cruel) fun with it.

BYE

To elaborate on said conspiracy theory:

Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, and Deathwatch were the original plan. They had to do those. I suspect Black Crusade was an idea for a long time. Only War was a DH book that simply grew too big. The core three cover every level of the Imperium we could want. There are almost no levels of humanity not covered. Black Crusade gives us our bad guys. Rogue Trader seems to be the xenos-friendly game, bringing in Kroot, Orkz, and Dark Eldar. Let's look at the armies left un-covered.

Tyranids aren't a viable game option. Necrons are rather difficult to make a good PC party, though I think it could be done with some good work. The Tau Empire is fairly uniform and separate, but sympathetic enough to justify playing us. However, the fanbase is very split on them, with them filling a mildly niche group.

That leaves the Craftworlders. We've seen them in a novel trilogy (the "Path of the…" books) with likeable characters, a unique worldview, and plenty of potential mechanical options. They are benevolent enough to play as, fill a nice power level (between Rogue Trader and Deathwatch) and have been ignored by FFG thusfar. Eldar are a big part of the RT setting; to see them disregarded in favor of comparatively minor races I see as telling. If they were getting in, it would''ve happened by now.

Either GW has directly vetoed Eldar for FFG, or they're saving them for the next open 'spot'.

I could definitely see Eldar getting their own separate book.  I think the complicated part would be how paths would work.

That said I can also see them being completly vetoed by GW.  The same way the various publishers of WFRP were vetoed from publishing supplements for areas of the warhammer world which hadn't been released by GW at the time such as Lustria Brettonia and Cathay.

In other words if GW have some special plans or reveal for eldar culture then FFG will be revealed if they don't then I think they will get their own game.

I'd very much like to see Eldar get their own game, or book, but I don't know if I will hold my breath over it. I think they could be very fun, and they are my overall favorite 40k race, but I don't know how well they'd fit in with a Human crew, and an Eldar game might seem a bit boring. So much of the Imperium is elaborated upon, but the Eldar are a bit vague, still, and with the whole dying thing, they aren't yet likely to beef back up. They spend so much of their time prowling the space ways, avoiding everything threatening, I don't know what their game would entail. They don't really get along with others, IMO, so if you had one, an Ork or Kroot might be even harder to play.

An idea I did have was to create a small, stellar kingdom, the FITB Alliance. They would be a group of Humans who have allied with a group of Eldar who have finally gotten past their stuck up attitude involving Humans. They don't have much support from their fellow Eldar, and the Humans in the group aren't making friends in the Imperium, but as a small, mobile group, they are able to use what the Eldar gave them to do lots of stuff, and avoid their foes. In the end, I don't know if the Eldar can/will make a comeback, or if they'll follow every other Elf story, and fade away, Retreat, go beyond, or plain die. Their best plan, currently, seems to be to let themselves die, and allow Ynnead to slaughter Slaanesh. If this is their plan, they'd be best served by choosing someone to leave their tech and lore to, so that they'll be remembered. Quietly, they might even, occasionally, breed with said Humans, and allow a piece of themselves to survive their extinction. Humans with the tech and weapons of the Eldar, able to use the Webway, could go very far toward taking Humanity to the next level, without having to depend on some of their bad stuff. If it is true that the Emperor may "soon" expire, an alternative to their failed warp travel might be advised. It's a thought I had, anyway.