Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gavinfoxx

Where can I find Rogue Trader Play By Post Games?

43 posts in this topic

I have been looking all over the web to try and find Play By Post games for Rogue Trader… to no avail.  Where on the web are any actively-recruiting PbP games of RT held?  Is anyone here running one?  Willing to run one?  Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can try Dakka?

I know of a lot more roll20/skype/irc games on the go than I do play by post, though, mostly because I hate play by post with a fiery passion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a Black Crusade game on rpg.net that I am running. I'm sure I could sneak you into it if you wanted to join.

 

As for Rogue Trader… Not sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Turn up now and again on Myth Weavers, though the one I'm in on there at the moment I gave a bit of a nudge by making a thread in the Game Planning forum looking for a GM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ShadowFighter88 said:

 

Turn up now and again on Myth Weavers, though the one I'm in on there at the moment I gave a bit of a nudge by making a thread in the Game Planning forum looking for a GM.

 

 

Like this thread I made some time ago?

www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php

@Rairu: Eh, Black Crusade?  Well.  My character concept COULD work as a Heretek of some sort, I suppose…

 

How 'actively chaotic' is the existing Black Crusade game?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gavinfoxx said:

ShadowFighter88 said:

 

Turn up now and again on Myth Weavers, though the one I'm in on there at the moment I gave a bit of a nudge by making a thread in the Game Planning forum looking for a GM.

 

 

Like this thread I made some time ago?

www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php

 

Ah, didn't realise you'd tried the same.  I guess it's more luck-of-the-draw with those, then, but give it a bit more time and see what happens.  As long as it's on the first page of Game Planning, someone's bound to see it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gavinfoxx said:

How 'actively chaotic' is the existing Black Crusade game?

The rules are largely designed to support it, but it's not a prerequisite for playing. Honestly, my players spent more time doing rogue tradery stuff (Coming up with plans, negotiating with powerful individuals, dicking around in their ship) than they did attempting to perform chaos rituals or anything like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Errant said:

Gavinfoxx said:

 

How 'actively chaotic' is the existing Black Crusade game?

 

 

The rules are largely designed to support it, but it's not a prerequisite for playing. Honestly, my players spent more time doing rogue tradery stuff (Coming up with plans, negotiating with powerful individuals, dicking around in their ship) than they did attempting to perform chaos rituals or anything like that.

What's the link to your game? Or is it not a PbP game?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I'd love to join or even GM one but I don't have many RT books (only core book so far) and I'm always sceptical at hosting pbp games as they tend to die out and then I've "wasted" alot of time thinking about a story arch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ghaundan said:

 I'd love to join or even GM one but I don't have many RT books (only core book so far) and I'm always sceptical at hosting pbp games as they tend to die out and then I've "wasted" alot of time thinking about a story arch.

 

Than what about Skype?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I might be willing to GM a PbP. You definitely want to do RT, or would you be open to a different 40k game?

Anyone else interested? If so, which game is prefered?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Internus said:

I might be willing to GM a PbP. You definitely want to do RT, or would you be open to a different 40k game?

Anyone else interested? If so, which game is prefered?

Count me interested! I've been looking for a game on rpol.net, but they're either filled, in Hungarian, or feature xenos-heavy crews.

I definitely want to play Rogue Trader, but Dark Heresy is also cool. As for Deathwatch, it will be hard to play via PbP because there will be a lot of combat involved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, my want for a Rogue Trader game is definitely… Not normal for the game or setting, exactly.

I was thinking of one theme that isn't done much with 40k is a game that does something like, 'choose a goal for how to affect some sort of drastic change of the setting. Do your level best to make that change. Good luck!'

I'm thinking a highly-resourceful group using the Rogue Trader system (as it is best for people with the ability to maybe make a change), maybe with some things taken from the Ascension DH book, or other books, and all the player characters are designed to 'want to change something', would be interesting.

Take a setting that is very much designed to be stagnant (or at least very, very, very stable), and see if it is possible to actually affect change on it -- especially if that change was intended to brighten some of the darkness (!).

Or, they could fail miserably. But the point is, I have had an idea for a character who primarily exists in the Rogue Trader system, who has as his main desire, an interest in affecting change on the Imperium. What do you think of that theme?

I was choosing Rogue Trader as the primary (with imports as-needed from the other books), is that it inherently places you as a sort of person who might not love the Imperium exactly (but who could still plausibly love Humanity in general), who might be okay with committing some preeeettyyyy big heresies and crimes out in the Expanse past the Halo stars, because the idea for the character I wanted to play has… well, like I said, quite a lot of unique goals; I liked the idea of a character that would work best where they are all members of a Rogue Trader's ship who each want to change something big about the big, stagnant/stable/decaying Imperium, and everyone is working together to achieve the groups' mutual goals…

That said, for those of you interested in playing (and who like this theme!), if you had to make a character who had some 'big goal' regarding changing the Imperium, what sort of character would they be, and what would the goal be?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Wanting to improve the lot of humanity can take many, many forms in RT, not all of them heretical or heretekal, but quite a number would be.

Personally? I would like to play an Illuminati member with access to the Black Library so that I can bring about the reincarnation of the Emperor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Malakh said:

 Wanting to improve the lot of humanity can take many, many forms in RT, not all of them heretical or heretekal, but quite a number would be.

Personally? I would like to play an Illuminati member with access to the Black Library so that I can bring about the reincarnation of the Emperor.

I feel that that might be beyond the scope of a RT game, at least as a starting character!  I stretched the scope, for sure… but it looks like you totally blew it away!  I just thought it would be interesting to play idealistic, overly informed Radical types.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gavinfoxx said:

Malakh said:

 

 Wanting to improve the lot of humanity can take many, many forms in RT, not all of them heretical or heretekal, but quite a number would be.

Personally? I would like to play an Illuminati member with access to the Black Library so that I can bring about the reincarnation of the Emperor.

 

 

I feel that that might be beyond the scope of a RT game, at least as a starting character!  I stretched the scope, for sure… but it looks like you totally blew it away!  I just thought it would be interesting to play idealistic, overly informed Radical types.

sonrojado.gif Whooops.

There are several option in the Origins Path that actually allow you to do that, get radical-minded RT characters. I like the one that makes you a seeker of Archeotech.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gavinfoxx said:

Ghaundan said:

 

 I'd love to join or even GM one but I don't have many RT books (only core book so far) and I'm always sceptical at hosting pbp games as they tend to die out and then I've "wasted" alot of time thinking about a story arch.

 

 

 

Than what about Skype?

 

The major problem I have with pbp is not the format, but lack of continuity. People just stop posting. I don't think that will be much different with skype. I DO prefer skype, as I can do the voices and the progress when skyping is much greater. But online the problems arise with timezones and the like. I'm Norwegian and thus have european time, americans wake up about the time I get home from work for instance.

If people would be open to play post by post I'd be up for it, but I'd most likely take one of the premade adventures as a START just to see if people interact and stick to it and then after the "intro" go all out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A game like you're talking about (try to change the sector / segmentum / Imperium) would be a lot more sandbox-styled; it would have to be to allow you (and the rest of the crew) to enact their plans. My fear with running a game like that is that as a GM I wouldn't be able to adequately prepare or represent the different encounters as you're imagining them.

 

Furthermore, to the effect of changing the Imperium I would recommend Ascension; a Rogue Trader can be written off or done away with - a task which is significantly harder against an Inquisitor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem with PbP in my experience is it takes FOREVER for combat or even interactions to take place. I had a single combat in a D&D pbp take 3 months. Just totally lost interest after that.

Even just the RP, if you dont have a minion to circle jerk with, its usually waiting days for someone to respond to whatever. At least with a skype game (I am in one irc Black Crusade game, and one roll20 Rogue Trader game) everyone gets together, and you can rp and resolve combats, as everyone is together and on the same page.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While it can be difficult to maintain interest in a PbP game, there's also a lot less prep work on the part of the GM required. It balances out in my opinion.

 

Furthermore, it is specifically because of the smaller time commitment that I am willing to GM a PbP - I can't commit to a Skype game at this time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I'd be up for skype, unsure about GM'ing but maybe, with a kind crew! My main reservation is that I don't own too many of the books, I recently bought my first two supplements for RT and I'd feel like I was stiffling players with limited possibilites. Also, I have a knack for hating power play and encouraging making a personality and sticking to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0