Sign in to follow this  
Ubernatus

A governor's fleet

Hello guys i am creating a whole new sector to play my games and i want to create a sector that is like medieval europe (many political infightings) so in short i want to give one of the governors a fleet of 4 transports and 8 raiders.. is it too much ?

Pardon me while I toss a spanner into the works…  You do realise the Imperium does not allow planetary governors to own warp-capable void ships, don't you?  It's part of the Imperium's divide and conquer strategy.  It prevents planetary governors from acquiring too much power, keeps open warfare between Imperial worlds down, makes the governors dependent on the Imperial navy (i.e. controllable), and makes it easier for the Navy to carry loyalist troops to a rebellious world.

Of course, if the governor's gone bad, then expect him to not follow the rules.  In that case, he'd likely have acquired a small fleet of allied vessels - perhaps an eclectic mix of Rogue Traders, pirates, Reavers, maybe even a xenos or two.  He may even have an archaic cruiser "acquired" from the reserve fleets as a flagship.

On the other hand, there is nothing to keep any governor from maintaining a flotilla of system ships.  These are inevitably smaller than a warp capable vessel (though with comparable kit since they don't have to fit a warp drive, gellar field, or nearly as many provisions) but can still be dangerous.  In particular, monitors have much heavier armour than their small size would indicate.  Hostile Acquisitions has a sample system ship.  Orbital defences are a good bet, too.  A governor is responsible for maintaining his world's security, so system defence monitors and orbital platforms are limited only by his influence and coffers.  And, if he has allies or family in the Imperial Navy, he might just have a naval patrol "conveniently" show up when needed.

Ultimately, I think the answer is, the governor has either enough to challenge the players, or enough to make brute force not an option and force them to roleplay.  gran_risa.gif

Cheers,

- V.

Vandegraffe said:

Pardon me while I toss a spanner into the works…  You do realise the Imperium does not allow planetary governors to own warp-capable void ships, don't you?  It's part of the Imperium's divide and conquer strategy.  It prevents planetary governors from acquiring too much power, keeps open warfare between Imperial worlds down, makes the governors dependent on the Imperial navy (i.e. controllable), and makes it easier for the Navy to carry loyalist troops to a rebellious world.

I know about that and thanks about the warning :) but the Imperium may not realize that the governor has these ships ( bureaucracy in Administratum we all know that it can be extremely slow sometimes ) and what if the Inquisition Conclave is dominated with Istvaanist Inquisitors? Then they will support the conflicts like that and according to my plans in my sector, a degree of interplanetary warfare will be acceptable ( main purpose with allowing this is governors must maintain a strong army and a strong navy (acceptable numbers) to defend themselves, leading to a really strong army within a sector in addition to Navy and I.G.) and if all these does not make sense to you governor can be a member of the sector Great House… You know that they have power rivaling the Adeptus Terra of the sector. :)

Weeell, technically he can have warp-capable vessels, even warships, but only in his capacity as a private citizen. As a governor, it's generally considered a no-no, but if he can afford the operating costs and the right bribes in the right places for a fleet charter, then there's nothing stopping him from owning them himself. He just can't use the funding of his office to pay for them or use them officially. It's a paper-thin technicality, but one several planetary governors have been prepared to hide wildly behind.

That said, it is in a (sub-) sector governor's interest to build and fund additional ships for the Naval forces in the area, and either "lose" them, or arrange to lease them for use from the IN.

It could also be argued that the Navy assigned to a particular sector work for the sector governor (semi) directly (by analogy from the Segmentum Commander- who is the civilian and military Commander in Chief of all Imperial assets in their Segmentum, and beholden only to the Emperor, the High Lords and possibly the Senatorum Imperialis), but can be called to more "important" service elsewhere, or to act on behalf of the Imperium for whatever reason; including the overthrow of the Governor they were working for.
Lot of behind the scenes political maneuvering, plus literal generations of legal practitioners examining the case.

I'm planning a sector that had it's own fleets long before the Imperium came. It's now sub-sectors each were a different country (or kingdom). When the Imperium, came they joined with the Imperium and agreed to pay their tithes. But they retain their fleets and semi independecy… And the Imperium decided not supress them in an open warfare because their fleets can be useful and the losses will be severe etc.

But of course in my opinion a governor if he plays his cards well can have 'friends' in the Navy even some Mechanicus priests… It is in my opinion well possible… Imperium is not been ruled by some guys who all think the same thing. It is like the Rome in ancient republic era with more brutality and theocracy of course :)

The Administratum as a whole might not notice, but it would be pretty hard for the local Battlefleet not to spot a planetary/sector governor's personal warp fleet.

When this does happen, it's because the planet/sector is very isolated or about to go rogue.

Personally, I think you'd be better off making this sector an independent power, not a part of the Imperium but still culturally tied to it, thanks to Rogue Traders, outlaws and smugglers.

In my mind, the imperium is a lot like the roman empire. in which case the governor might be expected to have a few ships to deal with pirates in order to free up naval assets, but if he showed signs of trying build up a serious fleet without permisson then painful questions might be asked. given the number of rogue traders who marry into sector nobility theremust be a fair few governors who not only have the right to have a fleet but it is required of them to do so. Imagine a sector which was conqured by a rogue trader, who then becomes sector governor. his descendants would wield the power of his warrant as well as the power of a lord (or lady) sector. given the combination of these powers, a serious fleet could easily be built up.