Sign in to follow this  
dcdennis

In your opinion, could aGoT become a graphic novel?

…or is it just too long? They'd probably need to break down each book into 8-10 volumes. I'd love to see it done well though. I finally broke down and bought the walking dead compilation book now that I have time to read it while on vacation. 

It is currently being done by Dynamic Forces comics.  Issue #9 went on sale on the 11th of this month, and the Graphic Novel vol 1 has been available since June 26, though Diamond Comics Distribution is currently out of stock.

To clarify it has been coming out monthly as a 32 page comic.  These graphic novels are amalgamations of the comic book (6? per graphic novel I guess).

I think book 1 will be around 20 comics, so from a time perspective, it will take many years to catch up to the books, assuming they sell well enough to keep going.

Warren12 said:

To clarify it has been coming out monthly as a 32 page comic.  These graphic novels are amalgamations of the comic book (6? per graphic novel I guess).

I think book 1 will be around 20 comics, so from a time perspective, it will take many years to catch up to the books, assuming they sell well enough to keep going.

Six is the standard, and yes, this is exactly the situation.

Sorry for being less clear, Dennis.

FYI, the same is true of Walking Dead.  While 16 Graphic Novel compilation volumes have been released so far, the monthly comic is on issue #100.

I've only been keeping tabs on it here and there. Its mostly a pretty straight adaptation of the novels. The art is alright. I find it to be a little bit stiff sometimes and they don't do anything visually interesting for the most part. They don't rehash visuals from the TV show and the characters mostly look closer to what you might think they would in the novels. I will give high marks for Bran's dreams though. Its one part of the book that I think would be nice to see visually adapted and one that would likely be too expensive to do on TV.

When the collection gets a re-release in a softcover format I'll probably give it another look.

I read the first few issues when they came out, and while I don't have any complaints against it, I dunno… I never got the sense of feeling from it that I got from either the books, or the TV series.  It all seemed wooden to me, but I couldn't say why.

I read the first 2 issues and wouldn't recommend them to anyone.  I agree with Kristoff, the comics just don't add anything new.  If they hadnt just given it to some "house artist" like they did with the Dunk and Egg ones I might be more interested.  I'm also not a Daniel Abraham fan… I guess I feel the same way about it that I do about The Stand as a comic - the art is very average and the whole comic is just kinda… bland.   bleh.

Skowza said:

I read the first 2 issues and wouldn't recommend them to anyone.  I agree with Kristoff, the comics just don't add anything new.  If they hadnt just given it to some "house artist" like they did with the Dunk and Egg ones I might be more interested.  I'm also not a Daniel Abraham fan… I guess I feel the same way about it that I do about The Stand as a comic - the art is very average and the whole comic is just kinda… bland.   bleh.

Yeah, the two Hedge Knight series were fan-frickin-tastic.  Not sure what GoT is doing wrong, but Hedge Knight sure did it right.

KristoffStark said:

Skowza said:

Yeah, the two Hedge Knight series were fan-frickin-tastic.  Not sure what GoT is doing wrong, but Hedge Knight sure did it right.

The Hedge Knight comis are indeed fantastic. Great art, the story has all the nuances as in the book (atleast for the 1st one)

The AgoT comics on the other hand aren't great. The art is too glossy, cathelyn looks like a model,  some drawings are a bit too manga(and I like manga lot) while I would have preferred a more sober european style which would go along better with the story.

Like this:

proefpagina.jpg

Hedge Knight was originally published by the Dabel Brothers. They proved to be pretty flaky as publishers and some of their properties went through a series of co-publishers. Hedge Knight eventually finished at Marvel and they did the collections. Dynamite Entertainment appears to have control over all Dabel Brothers properties now including Hedge Knight. They might do a reprint in the future and maybe adapt the last novella.

Mig el Pig said:

The Hedge Knight comis are indeed fantastic. Great art, the story has all the nuances as in the book (atleast for the 1st one)

The AgoT comics on the other hand aren't great. The art is too glossy, cathelyn looks like a model,  some drawings are a bit too manga(and I like manga lot) while I would have preferred a more sober european style which would go along better with the story.

Like this:

proefpagina.jpg

Awesome artwork.  Is that from Northlanders?

playgroundpsychotic said:

Hedge Knight was originally published by the Dabel Brothers. They proved to be pretty flaky as publishers and some of their properties went through a series of co-publishers. Hedge Knight eventually finished at Marvel and they did the collections. Dynamite Entertainment appears to have control over all Dabel Brothers properties now including Hedge Knight. They might do a reprint in the future and maybe adapt the last novella.

I read somewhere (might have been GRRM's website) that there is a moratorium on releasing a graphic novel for at least a year or two after the printed short story comes out, so hopefully they are just waiting for that first.

I second the recommendation on the first 2 hedge knight graphic novels, they are great.

KristoffStark said:

Awesome artwork.  Is that from Northlanders?

It's from Minck Oosterveer, a dutch cartoonist who died last year in a motor accident. It's some pages of the Red Knight a reimagining of an old Belgian Comic.

The art from Northlanders would have been fitting as well.

Game of Thrones seems too backstory rich and sprawling for a proper graphic novel, i know they are doing the comics right now but i never felt that it was the right medium, i feel like the best ones are more focused as oppossed to the sometimes chaotic mixture of characters and places in game of thrones. all my favorite graphic novels have a almost streamlined storyline with at most 4 different viewpoints, but who knows i can easily be proven wrong and love a agot graphic novel