Sign in to follow this  
BotanyGuy

Do the humans EVER win?

One thing that keeps me from getting this game is that every session report I've ever read on BGG has the cylons winning.  Do the humans ever win this?  Or do people just not write about this?

You're not reading enough.  Most people who write reviews or session reports do so after a few plays.  It's to be expected that the Cylons should be winning all of the time at first.  The Human players have to figure out how to beat the Cylons AND the game itself.  Once they've done that, the Human victories will show up in the stats.  But reviewers aren't going to go back and write a new review.  Some of us have talked about this victory trend though.  There are threads dedicated to it.

So, yes, the Humans can win.  I remember the first Human win we had.  We played three times that night and all three were Human victories.

Human wins are hard, don't get me wrong, but not impossible. I think that's part of the reason this game is so addictive though, because you want to play again and again to have another shot at winning.

The game does seem to be slightly in the Cylons' favor, but to me that is great because it captures the hopelessness the humans face all the time on the show. Like, when you are human, you really feel the urgency of staying alive.

And again, if it was easy for the humans to win, I doubt it would be as fun to me, imo.

Don't remember exactly now.... but its 50/50 in our group... with one of the Cylons wins being more or less fabricated by a rules misunderstanding...

so there...

...Idless

Well, we've played twice, and it's one victory for each. The Human victory was on an early jump and we made the dice roll to not lose all our peeps. All the dials were on '2' or '1'. So yes, the humans do win.

I've played two games .. both human wins .. close .. but human wins nonetheless.

Personally I feel it can be somewhat hard for cylons to win depending how the cards fall. The randomness of the crisis deck can make or break a game for the cylons.

- Not many cylon attack cards come up

- Crisises come up that don't matter if they fail during the key end-game run (we had some come up that the penalty for failing was damage some vipers .. or send people to sickbay .. no sense wasting cards on those crisises)

- FTL jump cards come up .. a lot ... (in a large game it is possible to make a jump before a cylon player even gets to go again!)

- Sympathizer doesn't join the cylons - (Cylon or not, the players in my group try and make sure at least one dial is at half before we hit the sleeper agent phase so there WON"T be a sympathizer)

Last_Crusader said:

- FTL jump cards come up .. a lot ... (in a large game it is possible to make a jump before a cylon player even gets to go again!)

I think my main criticism of this game is that turn order / seating of humans & cylons is enirely random and a big factor. In 4 player games, cylons going twice consecutively can wreck the human side with no chance of responding. In 6 player games, humans getting 4 turns in a row means that the cylons can't get any momentum. Not sure about 5 player games.

Sam Gamgee said:

Last_Crusader said:

I think my main criticism of this game is that turn order / seating of humans & cylons is enirely random and a big factor. In 4 player games, cylons going twice consecutively can wreck the human side with no chance of responding. In 6 player games, humans getting 4 turns in a row means that the cylons can't get any momentum. Not sure about 5 player games.

Agree ....

The worst for two cylons sitting next to each other is when this happens:

The jump token is at -1. The first player after both cylons uses FTL .. they jump. He draws a crisis card that has FTL icon on it.  So they just moved twice on the jump track in one turn. They are now just tw jumps away from being at -3 and being able to jump again. ... So unless a Cylon Attack card comes up .. when it comes back to the Cylon's turn the humans will be ready to jump again .. and there is nothing a revealed cylon can do to slow down their jump progress besides pray the next few crisis cards don't have FTL jumps on them.

I would say its 50/50 also...

Besides, I have not seen a single "overwhelming" human victory.... all of them are very close... So bad luck, a good cylon play or a bad human play can be the end for humanity!!!!

In my experience, the cylons have won 4 times and the humans twice. All the victories were close calls for both teams. The humans have only lost from resources though, never centurions or galactica destruction and they’ve always managed to jump to distance 8. It depends so much on your players and how they treat the crises as well as whether or not the unrevealed cylons manage to worm their way into leading the team. I think the ‘best’ way for humans to win is also the least entertaining (use launch scout every turn and have (hopefully human) Roslin and Boomer check the crisis deck for problem cards). The best part about this strategy is that if you get an undesirable crisis card, you know who to blame. Sure you run the risk of a cylon burying a crisis card, but I think that's to be expected in every game, so as long as the human players are checking the deck too, it's an easy way to win. As I said though, I think it takes some of the excitement out of it, so it depends on what you want from the game as well.

I’ve found that food shortage cards, riots and carelessly throwing pop away for fast jumps are what kills the humans the fastest. If you hit at just one tylium planet, fuel should never be a problem and as long as the president gives an inspirational speech or two, morale should also be a non-issue. I find pop the most critical though.

Tonight we had a 5-player game and a human win despite initial incorrect suspicion of Tigh being a Cylon which resulted in none of us jumping in to help him when Helo (who actually was a Cylon) chucked him in the Brig. We did well on Crisis skill checks and took hits on the resources that could take it. In the end, though, we were on just 1 Morale, 4 Fuel and 3 Food, but our Population was still doing well. We took a -3 hit to Population to force our final jump, but up to that it was still really tense.

Not bad considering 3 of the 5 players were all new to the game.

On my first game, which was a three player version, the humans won. Every other time (which is around five) the humans have lost. Sometimes so badly it was a relief when it was over!

Best board game ever, though!

At first, Cylons were winning about 90% of the time.  However, after using a large number of different strategies, we have gotten the numbers down to roughly 50-50%.  We have the BSG do short jumps (jump 1s optimally) to reduce supply losses/gain new ones up to the jump 3 point (optimally), then use a jump 3 card (again optimally) to push us as far as possible before the phase II loyality card deals.  This mitigates the Cylon threat significantly and makes for some great nail biters.

Honestly, I think the best strategy to help the humans win, is to take as few jumps as possible. Like you can beat the game in a minimum of 4 jumps. Just definitely make use of Launch Scouts to really mine the destination deck when you can. Pretty much the less times you need to jump the less bad stuff will happen to you. Definitely try to jump to distance 3, either on a 3 distance card or a 1 and a 2, and then try to make that next jump a huge one (another 3 if possible) so that you end up at distance 6 with the sleeper phase just kicking in. Pevanko was on the right track here. After that it's a race to get just 2 more jumps. Games can move pretty fast this way and be over before the Cylon players really have enough time to set their plans in order. Of course if your Admiral turns out to be a Cylon..... sad.gif

Although my group is getting more experienced with the game,we've had 5 cylon wins and only 3 human wins.  Also, two of the three humans wins were games where there was no cylon until the sleeper phase. 

Granted, my play total is only 8 games, but it seems to me that if there is no cylon player during the first half, and everyone is playing in a manner that gives this impression, the humans have increased odds of winning.  However, this is rarely the case as the human players make bad decisions based on their own paranoia.

In my experience, it's all in how you play.  With human players that understand the efficiency of Executive Orders, the balance can tilt in their favor, but rarely do players like giving up their turns.  ;)  On the other hand, Cylon players who zero in on one way to win instead of spreading lots of different types of damage, usually take the cake.  In both sides, it's really about cooperation and communication, to the degree the game lets you.  I've played more games where cylons win, but we'll see what happens as the rest of my group gets seasoned!

Humans win as much as 70% of our games.  The Cylon wins tend to be really clever play on the part of a Cylon, and usually some modicum of luck (i.e. we encounter seven Cylon Attack crises over the course of the game).

My gaming group has played twice... first game (5 players) went to the Cylons, second (6 players) to the humans. The first game, both cylon players went the whole game unrevealed. The one cylon was Zarek and he knew from the beginning he was a cylon. He claimed that he only sabotaged the skill checks a few times. He just waited for the resources to get low. Fuel was at 1, so he used Zarek's ability to raise it at the expense of population. Then on his next turn, population was at 3 and he activated the FTL location and population was lost. I think in this game, only twice was the admiral's quarters activated. As it was the first game, nobody was sure about how the game should be played.

The second game went to the Humans. I chose Baltar and used his one-time ability early on Roslin, who I suspected right to be a cylon. I immediately claimed she was a cylon, adding to the fact that she had 3 turns now and has not used quorum cards. Of course on her next turn, she used one, but most of the group agreed that it was out of desperation of being found out, not for the good of the fleet. I even offered myself for someone to send me to the brig as well, just so they were sure a Cylon was in the Brig (luckily, they didn't need to, they believed me). She stayed in the game as unrevealed, but in the Brig couldn't do much, so she revealed after the sleeper phase. Her counterpart revealed just after the next jump, as it was a "3" distance location and the next jump would reach Kobol (and since he was Bill Adama, his crisis phase would help us more than he could hurt). Even after both Super Crisis cards, we survived and used FTL to jump at -3, but still had 5 population and won.

My assesment is that if the humans know the game mechanics and keep other players honest, they will have a better chance. Like I did with Roslin, I pointed out that as President, she should be using Quorum cards to help out resources, especially since the Presidents Office is the only location that she should be activating for the most part. If you are going to start accusing, be sure to have some sort of case to go along with. Also, in 4 or 6 player games, its much more likely the sympathizer will be human because of the fuel resource naturally having to be low from the jumps, so that helps.

Also, does anyone have any opinion on what resources should be protected the most? Both games we played, food seemed to not be much of an issue, same with morale. Population we had trouble with in the first game but not the second. Fuel seems to me to be the most precious resource because you need it to jump. Although at the same time, in a 4 or 6 player game, seems that a good strategy would be for the Admiral to jump to locations using more fuel early on to make the sympathizer human at the sleeper phase.

Any thoughts?

Food will not be a problem as long as you never sacrifice one needlessly (always discard the skill cards!). In any game, either population or morale should be a problem depending on the crisis cards that come up and the cylon's strategy. Population can be made a big problem with a few unlucky cylon attack cards. Morale can be lost in a lot of choice or skill check crisis. Fuel isn't that bad when you learn to manage it well, but you certainly don't have any to waste. Launch scouts into the destination deck, it helps a lot.