Sign in to follow this  
Luthor Harkon

[Dead Stars] Does anyone have useful maps?

Dear all,

Has anyone of you made up any maps for the Ice Station complex on Mara? Even though it is stated in the book that the complex is vast and even changes its setup due to the vile influence of the warp, it would sort of really help to have some sort of maps (at least for certain areas). The one map showing the underground complex in the book is of no use at all in my opinion, whereas the map showing the buildings on the surface is fine, though I do not know which building is which in the description? Does anyone know?
So, it would really be a big help, if anyone has maps, especially also for certain locations where some of the encounter occur according to the book. I have for example difficulties in getting the setup of the area called Pilgrim’s Rest and the Panopticum.

Any help is really appreciated.

Cheers
LH

Hi Luthor,

while I do not have a map I would imagine the Panopticon the following:

- a large round room accessable through a lift in the center (a pillar in the middle, blocking view)
- all the screens are mounted on the outside wall
- with some distance to said screen-wall (I would say 2 meters) runs a long round  line of "desk space" with chairs
- the "desk space" inclduing switch pults, communication equipemnt and other "consoles" (now out of use) for switching camera and vox contact to patrol
- a small cogitator to get infos like cell status, locator beacon of the arbitrators and dangerous criminals etc.

I hope this helps

Just re-read "Pilgrims rest"…….duuuuuuuuuuuuush.

From what I read I can only imagine that the scenery in the mind of the author was inspired by underground missle silos (in fact, much of the underground works looks a little like it).

But here, we have capacitators hanging form the ceiling above a very deep chasm, with a lot of suspended plattforms in between…but why is their this chasm? Did anyone envy Georg Lucas and tried to did like he did? Anway…

Simple solution: remove the chasmn! The three large capacitators are firmly anchored in the ground, with a large space (15m to 30m) between each of them (pseudo reason: minimizing of electromagnetic field overlap during maximum use). The platforms are build AROUND each capacitator, ascending form platform to platform with some walkways in between. The Pilgrim settled in the middle for the warms the capacitators give.

Hope this helps

Hi Greg,

I really appreciate your input (as always). The absence of maps for specific areas is really a pain and somehow diminishes the quality of said products in my opinion.

Pilgrim's Rest: "What sort of chasm should that be" was also the question asked myself. While I sort of like chasms, as they are ideal for letting reappearing villains (Touched by the Fates) to fall in, in this case it makes no real sense to keep one.

Panopticon: But how then can you reach the Prison Cell area? From the Panopticon itself? Anyway, there must be another access, as I cannot imagine all prisoners having to venture through the Panopticon to reach their cells.

Do you have any more encounters or other helpful stuff for Dead Stars up your sleeve Greg, as you had for many (not to say most…) other Haarlock's Legacy scenarios?

Tahnks in advance.

Cheers

LH

Hiya,

I delibrately showed my players the map in the back of the book.  Briefly.  That way they had an idea of the upper, middle, lower sections but no idea how it all was actually laid out.  The panopticon I imagined a little like the room from the end of Matrix Reloaded, but on a larger scale.  Everywhere you look there are screens.  Some of them work some of them don't.  They are in an enormous bank with walkways spaced up the bank so that people/servitors can monitor sections.  In the middle a control desk that is attached to the spiral staircase you enter through.  The staircase continue to the bottom of the panopticon where there is a conrol desk for the crane lift that people use to get from the panopticon to the various cell levels or the very bottom to enter the mine.

I actually did think that every prisoner would have been brought through here.  Firstly it means that there is only one way out.  Past an enormous crane lift that can only be controlled from the panopticon.  Also upon entering the panopticon for the first time a prisoner will see first hand that everything he does from now on will be watched.  There is nowhere he can hide from the all seeing eye of the guards.  This is the end of the line for him and he will never see this room again except by looking up at it from the cavern floor below.

I personally found that just describing the areas in the lower part of the prison was more creepy than plopping a map down.  The only part I did a map for was a fight on a walkway across an apparently bottomless pit.

Luthor Harkon said:

Hi Greg,

Panopticon: But how then can you reach the Prison Cell area? From the Panopticon itself? Anyway, there must be another access, as I cannot imagine all prisoners having to venture through the Panopticon to reach their cells.

Do you have any more encounters or other helpful stuff for Dead Stars up your sleeve Greg, as you had for many (not to say most…) other Haarlock's Legacy scenarios?

Tahnks in advance.

Cheers

LH

Hi Luthor,

@Panopticon
NononNO! The Prisoners will never ever enter. Think off the Panopticon as a security central. From here, the Arbitrors had their electronic eyes (pict-thefts) on everything. I always imagined it to be only accessible through one lift and that only security personal was allowed in. I guess that prisoners would not even be allowed to get NEAR the lift. A circular area around the lift could have been "red bounds on the ground", meaning "cross this and we shoot you without any further questioning. 

@Other scenes
I remember that I once wrote some stuff but (as always) never used it. Please check again tomorrow, I know it is somewhere on my hard disk.