Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Dog Solitude

First preview (July 9)

Recommended Posts

 I fear that we, by which I mean the gaming community as a whole, have lost sight of what the word "cinematic" means, considering it more or less synonymous with "exciting." Nevertheless, this game sounds solid. I find the use of damage cards and critical hit effects especially fun and intuitive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi:

 

I disagree.  Having read about some of the rules, I envision this game quite cinematic.  It captures the movies' dogfights extremelly well, in a neat way.

 

 

L

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MarthWMaster said:

 I fear that we, by which I mean the gaming community as a whole, have lost sight of what the word "cinematic" means, considering it more or less synonymous with "exciting."

Meriam-Webster defines cinematic as: "of, relating to, suggestive of, or suitable for motion pictures or the filming of motion pictures." Is the game itself suitable for motion pictures? No, I don't think so. However, is this game suggestive of the Star Wars motion pictures? It seems to be, and I eagerly anticipate playing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes. I was referring solely to the semantic nature of the term "cinematic." In no way did I mean to suggest that this game will fail to be spectacular. The confusion I seem to have caused there is such that I regret ever bothering to bring it up.

I'm actually more excited for X-Wing now than I am for Star Wars: The Card Game, despite being more of the CCG persuasion than miniatures gaming. Of course, that may be at least partially due to the fact that we now know something about this game, which cannot be said of the LCG.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 If this game is supposed to be cinematic and capture the feel of the movies, why is FFG trying to sell us Y-Wings? To give the Imperials something to blow up?  And where is Jek Porkins, complete with rules for X-Wing stress fractures caused by too much Jek  when too close to the Death Star's gravity? *trollface*  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

qwertyuiop said:

 If this game is supposed to be cinematic and capture the feel of the movies, why is FFG trying to sell us Y-Wings? 

 

Woah!  I take offense and as an official member of Gold Squadron.  Y-Wings are the bomb(er)!  I'll take a squadron of old dependable Y-wings any day.  Did you see how much hull and sheilds they have?!?

 

Thanks,

Duncan

Gold 109 (ret.)

Decipher Star Wars CCG

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

qwertyuiop said:

 

 If this game is supposed to be cinematic and capture the feel of the movies, why is FFG trying to sell us Y-Wings? To give the Imperials something to blow up?  And where is Jek Porkins, complete with rules for X-Wing stress fractures caused by too much Jek  when too close to the Death Star's gravity? *trollface*  

 

 

[nerdglasses]Er, the Y-Wing is technically a bomber, which was pretty ineffective against the Death Star, but the Rebels were throwing everything they had against it. And lay off Porkins… it's glandular!!![/nerdglasses] lengua.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Y-wings were a staple of the Rebellion in the early days, and in the hands of a capable pilot, they can be deadly. And even if they are slower and less maneuverable, at least some Y-wings survived the death star assaults. That says something about their capabilities.

As for cinematic, I agree that term is getting thrown around a little too much. If all you look at is X-wing, you may not see it, but they toss the word around a lot on LotR:TCG as well, so if you follow both, you start to feel like you're drowning in cinematicism.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I. J. Thompson said:

[nerdglasses]Er, the Y-Wing is technically a bomber, which was pretty ineffective against the Death Star, but the Rebels were throwing everything they had against it. And lay off Porkins… it's glandular!!![/nerdglasses] lengua.gif

 

Everything was pretty ineffective against the Death Star.  Except for one shot by Luke.  lengua.gif

And those y-wings might have been more effective if the pilots had just swung those ion cannons around and shot backward!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dog Solitude said:

I. J. Thompson said:

[nerdglasses]Er, the Y-Wing is technically a bomber, which was pretty ineffective against the Death Star, but the Rebels were throwing everything they had against it. And lay off Porkins… it's glandular!!![/nerdglasses] lengua.gif

 

 

Everything was pretty ineffective against the Death Star.  Except for one shot by Luke.  lengua.gif

And those y-wings might have been more effective if the pilots had just swung those ion cannons around and shot backward!

Agh… I… oh… Star Wars, Special Edition #16: coming your way! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I haven't had the chance to watch last year's GenCon videos again, but I don't remember the dice having the "focus" symbol on them. Am I just remembering incorrectly? I know they changed them to D8's, which I guess is a good thing. I'm not familiar enough with probabilities to speak intelligently on that topic. So do we know yet what the "focus" symbol on the dice actually does? I was left scratching my head after reading the update.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Parakitor said:

MarthWMaster said:

 

 I fear that we, by which I mean the gaming community as a whole, have lost sight of what the word "cinematic" means, considering it more or less synonymous with "exciting."

 

 

Meriam-Webster defines cinematic as: "of, relating to, suggestive of, or suitable for motion pictures or the filming of motion pictures." Is the game itself suitable for motion pictures?

 

Hiyas!

 

Hell yes!!!  You can easily make a film of yourself playing a game it's so cinematic!

 

L

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...