Sign in to follow this  
dcdennis

Searching with Luwin

By the letter of the text, if I search and find an event, must I take it to hand? Or can I leave it in the deck so it wont get discarded by an imminent INT challenge?

dcdennis said:

By the letter of the text, if I search and find an event, must I take it to hand? Or can I leave it in the deck so it wont get discarded by an imminent INT challenge?

If you don't want to take anything to hand, just don't trigger the Response. Case closed. Or am I missing anything?

Ratatoskr said:

dcdennis said:

If you don't want to take anything to hand, just don't trigger the Response. Case closed. Or am I missing anything?

read the op again. maybe i am FP, i do an int chal with luwin but i have an empty hand. i look for a no quarter to use for my mil challenge, but all i find is a to be a wolf that im not allowed to use yet, and i have no standing int left so i know it will be discarded.

If you trigger Luwin, find an event in the top 5 cards of your deck, and don't reveal/put it in your hand (shuffling it back into your deck with the other 4 cards), you are cheating. Once triggered, you have to do as much of the effect as you can, whether you want to or not. Your choice is whether or not to initiate the effect in the first place, not how much of it you resolve.

Of course, since you only have to reveal the event you put into your hand, you will probably get away with it if you do decide to cheat. Not that I'm encouraging that kind of douchery, but it is definitely an "honor code" kind of thing with that particular card.

Nothing in the rules requires it - any more than At the Gates requires you to reveal your entire deck to prove that you have no in-House or neutral Maesters with printed cost 3 or lower remaining if you don't find one of those. Further, if you had to reveal the cards you search, why would you have to reveal the event you put into your hand?

Now, there is an entry in the FAQ that says you have to reveal the cards you find with a search to show that they meet all play restrictions, but it does not follow from this entry that you must reveal the cards you search through to show that no card meeting all play restrictions is there to be found.

My understanding stemmed from the FAQ entry stating you must reveal to show they follow restrictions, and meant that you only had to show when you did not find an event to prove that you indeed did not find one.  Only still show the actual event you choose/find if you do indeed net one with your search.  I suppose this was possibly reading too much into the entry, just assumed that it may have encompassed more things that it does.  The At The Gates analogy makes all the sense, though.

Yes. As explained above, "always reveal the card you find to prove it meets the search requirements" is very different from "always reveal the cards you search through to prove there are no cards among them that meet the search requirements." 

while we're at it with luwin, if you search for an event, cna you play it in the same response window as luwin? for example, you defend with luwin, search for routing the charge and play it immediately?

Robby Stark said:

while we're at it with luwin, if you search for an event, cna you play it in the same response window as luwin? for example, you defend with luwin, search for routing the charge and play it immediately?

Sure you can. Nothing prevents it.