Sign in to follow this  
shadowdreamer

Bold?

Can someone please clarify something for me regarding multiple bold?

In the rules it mentions that Dwarf units are naturally bold, and if supported can become Bold2.  There is then a diagram showing a Dwarf unit, with support on ramparts so Bold3.

There is no mention though of if other ie human units can be Bold2.

In Assaulting the Tourelles the 2 archers on the right flank are supported, on ramparts and next to a stronghold..are they bold or bold3?

Generally, as long as they're from different sources, bold statuses stack. So being on ramparts would add one, adjacent to a stronghold would add one, and having two adjacent units would add one, making a human unit bold3 (and dwarves would be bold4). At least that's my interprettation--if there's been a ruling somewhere that two different landmark sources (ie, the ramparts and the stronghold) don't stack, hopefully someone will chime in with that.

Now if you were bunched up enough that you had 4 human units adjacent to you, you'd still be bold1 (not bold 1 for the first pair and bold2 from the second).

I was wondering... would you get another level of bold from a goblin band when you are already supported? Since they lend support it seems to me, that it would be the same source, so no. Is this right?

Wasn't there somewhen somewhere an overview of all the ways you could get bold and which ways would stack?

Polarstern said:

I was wondering... would you get another level of bold from a goblin band when you are already supported? Since they lend support it seems to me, that it would be the same source, so no. Is this right?

Wasn't there somewhen somewhere an overview of all the ways you could get bold and which ways would stack?

There is a post - sadly didn't get sticky - by ColtsFan that indicated how Bold stack.    The most important thing to remember is that the "supporting" type of Bold doesn't stack (i.e. you have 2 goblin bands in the section plus the unit is supported by 2 other units - it still is Bold 1, not Bold 2).  So you are correct that you wouldn't get another level of bold from the goblin band if you are support.    Perhaps do a search on Bold and if it was started by ColtsFan that is the correct thread to look at.  (Edit - seems this LAME excuse for a forum you can't even do a Search - just look for a thread from ColtsFan)

And ALL the unit types - Goblin, Human and Dwarfs can be over and above Bold 1 unless the unit states otherwise (to date, there hasn't been any though).

Cab

Well I couldn't find Colt's post, so I went back to the old DoW forums and posted.    It is under the comprehensive FAQ link - post #12.

I believe Colt did a better post in regards to the levels of bold (I think?) but even though that post refers to goblin bands and drummers, you should get the idea.

Cab

Polarstern said:

There is, somewhere, as Caboose stated.  I don't remember where, but I'll attempt to paraphrase:

Different ways to become bold:

1) Support: Adjacent to two or more friendly units, or combination of one adjacent friendly unit and Goblin Band, or two Goblin Bands in same section.

2) Inherent unit quality: Currently all Dwarven foot units are bold.  All Creatures are Bold, but with the following changes:  Must ignore first flag, cannot receive support nor become bold through landmarks/terrain.

3) Landmarks/Terrain:  Currently all Landmarks enable a unit to become bold (excepting creatures).  Bridge Terrain hexes also allow a unit to become bold.  The special case of a landmark or bridge hex adjacent to a stronghold hex is that that hex instills bold2 upon any unit that is positioned on that hex (excepting creatures).

4) Lore Cards:  A few Lore Cards enable a unit to become bold.  Fearless (Warrior and Rogue) allow a unit to ignore all flags (i.e. infinitely bold).  Mass Shield allows all units to ignore one flag, in addition to any other flags that a particular unit may already be able to ignore (i.e. bold+1).  Mists of Terror does the opposite, removing the ability of a unit to ignore any flags, though that unit is still considered bold if the game conditions have it so and it may battle back if it remains on its original hex.

5) Embedded Goblin drummers:  A goblinoid unit with a drummer embedded is bold.  It is also still frightened, and when it must take flags it does so at two hexes per and is subject to 1d panic check for each hex retreated.

Any of these five separate categories stack in relation to the others.

Extreme example:

A goblinoid foot unit with an embedded drummer is positioned upon a bridge adjacent to a controlled stronghold whilst adjacent to a friendly unit in a section which has a goblin band unit present.  Mass Shield has just been played by the controlling player.  The unit is bold5.

toddrew said:

Polarstern said:

The man knows his rules well.sorpresa.gif  Todd if you ever get that Bold5 on me you know I'll roll FLAG FLAG FLAG FLAG  against you right?

There is, somewhere, as Caboose stated.  I don't remember where, but I'll attempt to paraphrase:

Different ways to become bold:

1) Support: Adjacent to two or more friendly units, or combination of one adjacent friendly unit and Goblin Band, or two Goblin Bands in same section.

2) Inherent unit quality: Currently all Dwarven foot units are bold.  All Creatures are Bold, but with the following changes:  Must ignore first flag, cannot receive support nor become bold through landmarks/terrain.

3) Landmarks/Terrain:  Currently all Landmarks enable a unit to become bold (excepting creatures).  Bridge Terrain hexes also allow a unit to become bold.  The special case of a landmark or bridge hex adjacent to a stronghold hex is that that hex instills bold2 upon any unit that is positioned on that hex (excepting creatures).

4) Lore Cards:  A few Lore Cards enable a unit to become bold.  Fearless (Warrior and Rogue) allow a unit to ignore all flags (i.e. infinitely bold).  Mass Shield allows all units to ignore one flag, in addition to any other flags that a particular unit may already be able to ignore (i.e. bold+1).  Mists of Terror does the opposite, removing the ability of a unit to ignore any flags, though that unit is still considered bold if the game conditions have it so and it may battle back if it remains on its original hex.

5) Embedded Goblin drummers:  A goblinoid unit with a drummer embedded is bold.  It is also still frightened, and when it must take flags it does so at two hexes per and is subject to 1d panic check for each hex retreated.

Any of these five separate categories stack in relation to the others.

Extreme example:

A goblinoid foot unit with an embedded drummer is positioned upon a bridge adjacent to a controlled stronghold whilst adjacent to a friendly unit in a section which has a goblin band unit present.  Mass Shield has just been played by the controlling player.  The unit is bold5.

Cavie said:

The man knows his rules well.sorpresa.gif  Todd if you ever get that Bold5 on me you know I'll roll FLAG FLAG FLAG FLAG  against you right?

Took me a minute to decipher your creative formatting ;)

But, yes, that is the roll I would expect from you  gran_risa.gif