Sign in to follow this  
DoomOnYou72

Tourney Rules are up (with a new Battlebuilder)

slainex said:

I am quite drunk right now so I apologize if I offend anyone. If you actually bought 5 units of Red Devils, and played a  game with them; it really doesn't matter who won in the end, because the biggest winner is the FFG marketing department.

They won when they picked up Paolo's IP and Andy Chambers for the Warfare rules. gui%C3%B1o.gif

@Shadow4ce

"The odds of the main gun being taken out are nearly astronomical. First, your opponent has to roll at least 3 hits on the attack roll. Then, they have to roll exactly 3 hits on however many attack dice there were which rolled hits. Finally, they have to roll a hit on a single die. Those are odds where if it were to occur, I'd laugh, congratulate my opponent on their good fortune, and then have a hilarious story to tell about a very fun game."

I managed this twice with a ludwig and apes (with markus) against my opponents fireball this weekend… really not that hard :)

mariettabrit said:

@Shadow4ce

"The odds of the main gun being taken out are nearly astronomical. First, your opponent has to roll at least 3 hits on the attack roll. Then, they have to roll exactly 3 hits on however many attack dice there were which rolled hits. Finally, they have to roll a hit on a single die. Those are odds where if it were to occur, I'd laugh, congratulate my opponent on their good fortune, and then have a hilarious story to tell about a very fun game."

I managed this twice with a ludwig and apes (with markus) against my opponents fireball this weekend… really not that hard :)

Go buy a lottery ticket, or mail me your dice!  

I'm especially shocked by the Ludwig one - Average hits on a sustained attack vs Vehicle 7 is just slightly above 3, (slightly below on a non-sustained attack action - meaning you'd have to roll fire for 3 rolls in a row), and your opponent either has no armor roll because he foolishly let your Ludwig get behind him, or he can't roll an Armor save to save his life. Odds of a save from the front on a fireball (8 dice) are just slightly under 3. Between possible cover and armor, a Ludwig will be hard pressed to get a chance to roll on the hit table at all, and the most dice you can roll on the table is 5, meaning you beat the odds 3 times in a row, even on a sustained attack. 

I've played or demo'd well over 50 games now and have yet to see an, "Attackers Choice" Weapon Damaged hit happen once. There have only been 3-4 weapons knocked out in all those games, and all were defending player choice (attacker rolled a blank on the single die to decide who picks). Also, keep in mind, you can only knock one weapon out on the same Walker, If you reroll a 3 on the table, you have to pick 1 or 2 instead. 

If you don't know by now, the Dust dice are notoriously easy to cheat with. If you see someone look at the dice in their palm just before rolling them, or pick up dice from the rolling surface and keep the dice in the same facing before rolling; then they may be cheating intentionally or unintentionally. The probability of getting attackers choice weapon destroyed on Ludwig vs Fireball is less than 3%. 

slainex said:

If you don't know by now, the Dust dice are notoriously easy to cheat with. If you see someone look at the dice in their palm just before rolling them, or pick up dice from the rolling surface and keep the dice in the same facing before rolling; then they may be cheating intentionally or unintentionally. The probability of getting attackers choice weapon destroyed on Ludwig vs Fireball is less than 3%. 

So by your logic I should never look at my dice… got it. And I should never pick up my dice …. okay. So I guess the only way to play this game is via divination. I will divine from the stars what my dice may or may not read. I see 5 hits! you may now divine your Armor rolls…….

Like seriously bro you have been nothing but inflammitory on these forums, you may leave now we don't need you here. Have a nice day :-D

Shadow4ce said:

I'm especially shocked by the Ludwig one - Average hits on a sustained attack vs Vehicle 7 is just slightly above 3, (slightly below on a non-sustained attack action - meaning you'd have to roll fire for 3 rolls in a row), and your opponent either has no armor roll because he foolishly let your Ludwig get behind him, or he can't roll an Armor save to save his life. Odds of a save from the front on a fireball (8 dice) are just slightly under 3. Between possible cover and armor, a Ludwig will be hard pressed to get a chance to roll on the hit table at all, and the most dice you can roll on the table is 5, meaning you beat the odds 3 times in a row, even on a sustained attack. 

I've played or demo'd well over 50 games now and have yet to see an, "Attackers Choice" Weapon Damaged hit happen once. There have only been 3-4 weapons knocked out in all those games, and all were defending player choice (attacker rolled a blank on the single die to decide who picks). Also, keep in mind, you can only knock one weapon out on the same Walker, If you reroll a 3 on the table, you have to pick 1 or 2 instead. 

Granted with the ludwig it was luck, I did get all 5 hits sustained and he blocked 4 with armour… but that still gave me 5 dice on the hit chart (he had no cover).

mariettabrit said:

Shadow4ce said:

Granted with the ludwig it was luck, I did get all 5 hits sustained and he blocked 4 with armour… but that still gave me 5 dice on the hit chart (he had no cover).

That's pretty cool. Sounds like it could have been an epic game. If nothing else, you've got a great war-story from it.

"Listen sonny, while I tell ya about the time my Ludwig made a Fireball into a hunk 85 AP worth of wasted steel! Boy they sure don't make games like that anymore. All these new-fangled 'puter randomizers, pshaw!"

Dr.Cornelius said:

blkdymnd said:

Lately I've been running a Red Devil platoon, so no armor rolls for them.  I've also taken out two in a game using hammers and Rhino on rear attacks.  Try to get a close in deployment.  That's seemed to work for me so far.

Was your opponent a novice?  In my playgroup, a skilled commander will position an infantry unit directly behind the heavy to prevent rear close assault from Rhino+Hammers. 

As to Red Devils, how many did you field?  Also, I think the math favors Tank Busters or Tank Busters + Ozz over RD or RD + Action Jackson.

Math vs Armor 7 Heavy:

Tank Busters
3x 2/2 attacks at range 16.  Average 2 successes for 4 damage.  Heavy rolls 7 armor save dice, averaging 1-2 saves for net 2 damage.  Importantly the TBs roll all 4 dice on the vehicle damage table on page 44.

Importantly, Tank Busters have Jump, and can ignore intervening terrain & models on a move and enemy cannot react to move.

Red Devils
3x 1/2 attacks at range 12.  Average 1 success for 2 damage, no armor save. 

Action Jackson improves RD's firepower and survivability but I think the numbers still favor Tank Busters.

And do not forget that a skilled opponent should focus all his resources to destroy the any unit that can damage the Heavy.  In my experience, the best a single unit can hope for is one good attack before being decimated by opposing Snipers, Angela, Marcus+Gorillas, etc.

I was dominated by the heavy this weekend but I admit after reading this I was in range to take my Markus and the Grillias to attack from behind and forgot. Opps! good call