Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KristoffStark

Duration of Stark as Hand

5 posts in this topic

Okay, so I'm going to be running a campaign of the Song of Ice & Fire Roleplaying game published by Green Ronin, set during the events of the main storyline.

What I'm wondering is: How long was Eddard Stark Hand of the King?

It's been too long since I read the first book, and I'm not keen on pouring through chapters looking for time references if someone knows the answer.

I don't think it is ever stated outright, but its less than a year. According to towerofthehand.com, both Jon Arryn and Rober Baratheon died in Year 298 (with the Targaryen conquest being Year 0).

ktom said:

I don't think it is ever stated outright, but its less than a year. According to towerofthehand.com, both Jon Arryn and Rober Baratheon died in Year 298 (with the Targaryen conquest being Year 0).

I figured.  George has been great at not being specific about the passage of time; crafty bugger.  Given that the journey from Winterfell to King's Landing took a month, I wouldn't feel too bad about having Eddard as Hand for a couple months… maybe as many as four.

If I remember correctly (more specific: if the graphic novel depicted it correctly), Cat had arrived in King's Landing before Eddard. Then she left a few days later and travelled to the Inn at the Crossroads. That's the first period of his time as hand.

A few days (maybe a week) later, the news of Tyrion's capture arrives at King's Landig, Jaime attacks Ned and flees, and Ned's leg is broken. I don't think too much time passes after that before everything is crumbling down. Again, a few weeks max. So I'd suggest he was Hand of the King for two months, three at most.

Rubinon said:

If I remember correctly (more specific: if the graphic novel depicted it correctly), Cat had arrived in King's Landing before Eddard. Then she left a few days later and travelled to the Inn at the Crossroads. That's the first period of his time as hand.

A few days (maybe a week) later, the news of Tyrion's capture arrives at King's Landig, Jaime attacks Ned and flees, and Ned's leg is broken. I don't think too much time passes after that before everything is crumbling down. Again, a few weeks max. So I'd suggest he was Hand of the King for two months, three at most.

I think it needs to go toward the high end of that range. "The Hand's Tourney" would have taken a few weeks to organize and for everyone to travel to KL to participate in it (Robert wouldn't settle for it being rushed and thus under-attended) and plenty of stuff happens after that. 3-4 months is probably about right.